Small scratches(?) in my Cymbal, how?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Small scratches(?) in my Cymbal, how?

I just noticed today that my Meinl Ride cymbal has what appears to be scratches in the grooves where it was hammered. They can easily be felt with rubbing your finger across, and feel like someone took something sharp and dug into the cymbal a little bit. What I noticed is all these what appear to be scratches are mainly in the grooves where the cymbal has been hammered. Could this possibly be fractures in the metal?

I've attached a photo of the Issue. Its all mainly on the top part of the cymbal closer to the bell, and basically all around the cymbal. Ive had this cymbal for what seems like a couple years now.

If anyone has a clue what cause it, i'd appreciate the feedback. I thought maybe it could of been my brush wires, but I took them out and scrapped and hit the cymbal, with no sign of any wear.
    Attached Files

Yeah, it's odd that they're mainly in the hammered indents. Makes you wonder if the person started with a hammer that wasn't completely smooth and creating these marks, and then changed it to finish the cymbal. Could there be anything in your cymbal bag, like a riveted cymbal that might have rubbed up against it? Any marks on the underside?

Comment

Originally posted by Merlin5 View Post
      Yeah, it's odd that they're mainly in the hammered indents. Makes you wonder if the person started with a hammer that wasn't completely smooth and creating these marks, and then changed it to finish the cymbal. Could there be anything in your cymbal bag, like a riveted cymbal that might have rubbed up against it? Any marks on the underside?
      No Marks on the underside.

There's a chance these were always there, and I haven't noticed the, 'cause under certain lighting, they are difficult to see.

I never transferred them anywhere, they have always stayed in my house.

If they were not originally there, I'm thinking just playing in their spots with a heavier stick may of cause it. I'm assuming the raw part of the cymbal is softer, based off when I cleaned one of these cymbals before in the past, and a lot of dark powder came off the cymbal in the raw spots.

Comment

I would play an unmarked area, aim for the indents, with normal and then heavy sticks, see if it makes those marks. But I doubt sticks would scratch metal like that.

Comment

I would play an unmarked area, aim for the indents, with normal and then heavy sticks, see if it makes those marks. But I doubt sticks would scratch metal like that.
          Okay, thanks for the input.

Comment

Originally posted by tjprime1 View Post
            I just noticed today that my Meinl Ride cymbal has what appears to be scratches in the grooves where it was hammered. They can easily be felt with rubbing your finger across, and feel like someone took something sharp and dug into the cymbal a little bit. What I noticed is all these what appear to be scratches are mainly in the grooves where the cymbal has been hammered. Could this possibly be fractures in the metal?

I've attached a photo of the Issue. Its all mainly on the top part of the cymbal closer to the bell, and basically all around the cymbal. Ive had this cymbal for what seems like a couple years now.

If anyone has a clue what cause it, i'd appreciate the feedback. I thought maybe it could of been my brush wires, but I took them out and scrapped and hit the cymbal, with no sign of any wear.
            To me it looks like something made by faulty hammering, possibly the fractures that got enhanced by vibrations? Anyway, doesn't seem to go deep, I wouldn't worry about it...
            •A kits: Mapex Saturn ltd. Mapex Meridian, Ludwig and Pearl snares, Paiste, Anatolian, DW5002TW•
            •Roland TD-12 brain, SPD-SX, Roland RT triggers•
            •Ship kits: TD-12KV, TD-30K, TD-50K•

Comment

Originally posted by MilosDrummer View Post

To me it looks like something made by faulty hammering, possibly the fractures that got enhanced by vibrations? Anyway, doesn't seem to go deep, I wouldn't worry about it...
              Matt Bettis on drummerworld forums who makes a lot of hand hammer cymbals says its a normal thing to happen if extreme caution isnt taken care of, and is not a fault.

Thanks for the input anyways.

Comment

Great news, and I've since seen your thread on DW. Nothing to worry about then. You can sell it saying scratches aren't a flaw but simply haven't been lathed away. That they give character to the cymbal can be a selling point

Comment

Great news, and I've since seen your thread on DW. Nothing to worry about then. You can sell it saying scratches aren't a flaw but simply haven't been lathed away. That they give character to the cymbal can be a selling point
                  Actually, now that I played it with a fresh ear(took a break), I'm liking the sound of the ride. It's strange what different perspectives can do to alter the sound to your mind. I may just end up keeping it. I also played it in a different location as well. I got so use to the sound that I didn't appreciate it as much until I mixed things up.
                  Last edited by tjprime1; 03-09-18, 01:19 PM.

Comment

Actually, now that I played it with a fresh ear(took a break), I'm liking the sound of the ride. It's strange what different perspectives can do to alter the sound to your mind. I may just end up keeping it. I also played it in a different location as well. I got so use to the sound that I didn't appreciate it as much until I mixed things up.
                    Yep, this is all true. How lightly or intensely you play the cymbal will bring out the sound in different ways. Some cymbals sound better when you really lay into them, it can draw the sound out. Also, different weight sticks, shape of the tip and whether it's wood or nylon will play a fairly significant role in the tone.
                    Last edited by Merlin5; 03-09-18, 08:51 PM.

Comment

I may just end up keeping it. .
                      off topic .. but if you 'doubt' about a ride sound .. try meinl cymbal tuners .. they work great on rides .. it's like having a couple of rides all of a sudden ..

Comment

Working...
                      X