My Yamaha drums

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Yamaha drums

Hi guys. I've not posted in the Acoustic forum before. Here's a pic of my kit. I bought the snare drum a few months ago, it's a Sakae Trilogy snare in black oyster wrap and I love it! It sounds really nice. The kit is my old 1990's Yamaha 9000 Recording Custom kit. Toms are 12" and 15", kick is 20", shell colour is Cherrywood. Ufip Class Series 13" hi-hats, Zildjian 18" K Custom, Zildjian 20" K Custom Dry Light Ride, Sabian HHX Evolution 18"crash and 10" splash. I also have matching 8" and 10" toms but rarely use more than 2 toms these days although I randomly rotate the 10" and 12".

Sakae.jpg9000RC.jpg

And here's a short video of me on these drums at a gig. It's 'Wipeout' just from the last drum solo.

Attached Files
    Last edited by Merlin5; 08-01-17, 10:24 PM.

Nice kit and video. I too have a Yamaha 9000 kit from the 80s. It's the natural wood finish and shallow sizes.
    Roland TD30 module on TD20 kit SD2 with various kits. Pearl Masters Kit, Yamaha 9000RC original natural wood finish. Cymbals from Zildgian Pasite and Sabian. Loads of percussion bits.

Comment

cool! ..i had a yamaha 9000 RC too.. (one old pic i can flash fast : http://www.ekit.nl/Acoustic.gif )
      i still really regret selling it.. ..now i have a sonor acoustic kit ..

Comment

Thanks for the comments guys. mkok, I always found the natural wood finish very appealing. And today I would have preferred shallower toms. At the time, Dave Weckl was using the deeper power toms and Cherrywood colour so as a fanboy I copied.

Very nice kit there Eric! But I bet your Sonor is nice, they really are an excellent brand.

Here's some more pics. The Yamaha at home with all toms and my Gretsch snare. And a pic behind the kit with the 10"tom.

kit.jpg

Attached Files

Comment

Nice pics. Will have to take some of mine next time I rehearse withe the band. Your kit reminds me I need new skins!
          Roland TD30 module on TD20 kit SD2 with various kits. Pearl Masters Kit, Yamaha 9000RC original natural wood finish. Cymbals from Zildgian Pasite and Sabian. Loads of percussion bits.

Comment

I played an 80's Recording Custom in college. One of my most favorite kits I ever played.
            Alan

Comment

yep.. it's a great kit.. ..the tuning range is amazing.. ..a 14" can sound like a 16" (and still clean) or an 8" like a 10" ..
              and i never heard a better kick on any other drum kit ..

Comment

Yep, I don't think I'll ever sell mine, they're easy to tune and always sounds great. Though I fancy a second kit with a 22" kick. The Sakae Trilogy series, and the Tama Starclassic with diecast hoops on all toms appeal to me. By the way, for head replacement I can recommend the Evans UV1 heads. They're single ply, a bit like Evans G1 and Remo Ambassadors. The selling point of the UV1 is a thicker coating designed not to wear off for a long time. In my last picture above, those tom heads are UV1. They look brand new, right? But that's after more than a dozen gigs of use.

Comment

So a couple of pics of my old 9000 kit. I also have a Pearl Masters kit but this is the one I use in rehearsal and recording.

Comment

Beautiful kit mkok, that wood finish is stunning and looks to be in pristine condition.

Comment

Cheers. It's not pristine but it's pretty good. I bought it in 1989. I've also got a Sonor anniversary snare from 1975 which I got in 1985. Still going strong.

Comment

looks very nice.. and i think it's very rare too.. i have never seen a natural finish RC ..
                        it's possible the japanese factory guy with the paint gun said : 'you sho, no chelly wood ?' he was doing that all day, back then..
                        yamaha sold 'yess' tom holder kits too.. ..i put those on.. ..it made a slight difference ..

Comment

I was thinking of selling it a couple of years ago but changed my mind when I saw the 2nd hand value rising for the natural wood finish. You rarely see them. Same goes with the Sonor snare. They seem to be going for quite a bit now as well. No point selling either really though as I use them both

Comment

Working...
                          X