Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Played acoustics for the first time last weekend.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Played acoustics for the first time last weekend.

We have a drum kit that we never use, it sits on stage always, our leader wants me to switch, so we gave it a dry run.
    Its a pretty decent kit too, very nice cymbals, two crashes and a ride, they all sound great.

But we were worried about stage volumes, we have a guest drummer from time to time and he plays unbelievably loud, 20' away, drum cage, and earplugs, and it still hurts my ears.

So I brought in some 7A's,and had no problems playing soft enough I didn't need earplugs, even sitting right there in front of the kit. It is miced, so no need for stadium volumes on-stage.

And another bonus... The Tama silent rubber slip-on tips work great for cymbal swells, no need to buy felt-tipped mallets for me. Although I feel like I need one of those stick holsters or something if I am going to be switching sticks frequently. How do you guys do it?

On a strange nostalgic note, my ancient but previously pristine favorite pair of 7A's now has marks on the shank from hitting cymbal edges. I guess I will need to start buying sticks now.

And the best part, when I show up to play, the only thing I need to bring is a few pairs of sticks and maybe a drum-key, it's drummer heaven. :-) Maybe a leather stick case and some dark sunglasses...
    Mini-kit: TD-9 + Alesis Control Pad + Alesis Sample Pad + PDX-6 snare
    Micro-kit: Handsonic HPD-20 + an old pair of hands.
    Speakers: QSC-K10 "thumper", DBR-10 "little thumper"

1lidi7.jpg

(OK, I do an acoustic thing with my 7As as well....shhhhh!)
    ps. stick bag thing on hi-hat stand works for me....
    *** Never buy a module without both MIDI IN and OUT! ***
    DTX modules. Roland samplers. Multi12. TrapKat. ControlPad. Wavedrum. Handsonic. Dynacord RhythmStick. MPC. Paiste 2002/Signatures. Cajons. Djembes. Darbuka. Windsynth. MIDI Bass. Tenori-on. Loads o' synth modules. And...a ukulele or three.

Comment

Acoustic kits are great if set-up properly, but so few are, and they sound too raw in comparison to ekits.
      I used to be that guy pounding the skins to death, but my speed has improved so much that finesse is gonna win for me from now on. Saves me a lot on heads and sticks too.
      IMHO you should always use the stick that works for your playing style and not the types of drums you play. Just an opinion though. Seems odd unless the drum itself requires a different beater like timbales or tympani.
      TD-9_stealth Yamaha, HPD-15, HPD-10, Octapad etc.

Comment

In 40 years of drumming, over 25 of those was on acoustic kits because that's all there was. The best my acoustics ever sounded is mic'd on stage. "Thump" "Snap"! Loved it. But I could never get a sound I liked as much when not mic'd... until I entered the world of electronic drums. Traditionalists will cringe, but I'd never go back to acoustics. Electronic are just way to convenient, versatile, varied, and volume-friendly all rolled up in one!
        TD-30, PDX-100 snare, PD-85 (x4), CY-5 (hh), CY-8 (x2), CY-5 (x2), CY-13R, KT-10 (x2), BT-1 (x2), SPD-SX, Gibraltar GCS-ERK rack
        QSC K10 monitor, Sennheiser HD280 Pro/Bose QC35 cans, Red Roc-N-Soc Nitro throne

Comment

I hear you on the sticks, I prefer 5A's normally, double strokes are a lot more controllable with the heavier sticks for me. I'll give them a go on the A-kit and see if I can still play softly.

Here is a nice Vic Firth branded stick case and a holder made to clamp to a stand, can't complain about the price:

https://www.amazon.com/Vic-Firth-VFS.../dp/B004JJ6ME6
          https://www.amazon.com/Vic-Firth-ESB...dp/B008876Y4S/

As far as A's vs E's, I prefer E's also, but if they want A's I am willing to do it.
          Last edited by kurth83; 03-16-17, 11:54 AM.
          Mini-kit: TD-9 + Alesis Control Pad + Alesis Sample Pad + PDX-6 snare
          Micro-kit: Handsonic HPD-20 + an old pair of hands.
          Speakers: QSC-K10 "thumper", DBR-10 "little thumper"

Comment

Originally posted by kurth83 View Post
            I prefer E's...
            Don't we all!
            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFJdUJg4wOk

DTX modules. Roland samplers. Multi12. TrapKat. ControlPad. Wavedrum. Handsonic. Dynacord RhythmStick. MPC. Paiste 2002/Signatures. Cajons. Djembes. Darbuka. Windsynth. MIDI Bass. Tenori-on. Loads o' synth modules. And...a ukulele or three.

Comment

I'm stuck in the middle. Love my big cats (Gretsch Catalina Club Rocks 26/13/16/18, 15" Supralite snare). With the kid transitioning out of afternoon naps, it really curtailed my practice hours just when it appeared to be getting better. But after playing L80's I could never go back to rubber hats. The other thing that's made the acoustics so much more fun - is a tunebot. I actually have trouble finding sounds I like on my DTX502 'cause my sounds aren't current.
              Yamaha DTX-502, KP65 kick, TP100 snare, RHH130 hats, TP65 toms, PCY130S crash. PCY150S ride

Comment

Originally posted by ludwigite View Post
                I actually have trouble finding sounds I like on my DTX502 'cause my sounds aren't current.
                Hiya

...You can load any sound on the planet onto your DTX502...!

ps. what is "current" anyway? Most stuff around seems very dated and retro at the moment.

Comment

I tried to load sounds to it, but it has EXTREMELY limited memory. 26"/13"/16"/18" with black dots, and a 5x15" steel supralite with an Evans G14 and a 12 strand strainer is what I'm playing acoustic. Though I'm coveting an 8x15" maple snare - hopefully this summer. Big, deep, fat. Not sure why drum brains has dozens and dozens of electronic sounding kits anyway. Cost?
                  Yamaha DTX-502, KP65 kick, TP100 snare, RHH130 hats, TP65 toms, PCY130S crash. PCY150S ride

Comment

Working...
                  X