Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TD-9: Sharing User Kits

Hi Folks.

I've been getting busy filling my 10 User kit space on my new TD-9. I'm leaving 1 of the kits free to use for copying back and forth. As soon as the 9 are filled Ill try out VDrumLib to back them up, and reorganize. Kits so far...
    90 V-Compac: Recreation of the TD-4 V-Compact Kit.
    91 Vintage: Recreation of the TD-4 V-Vintage Kit.
    92 Electron: An electronic kit of my own, reminiscent of the sounds heard on Duran Duranīs Arena album.
    93 Fiber: Recreation of the TD-4 Fiber Kit.
    94 Pop/Rock: Recreation of the Toon Track kit that comes with EZDrummer.
    95 Prince: Reminiscent of the sounds heard on Princesīs I Wonder U.
    In all cases the closest possible instruments have been selected for each of the drums, then pitched, sustained/muffled, volumed, panned and ambience added.
    So far the results have been excellent - being able to edit and save ALL of the instruments was the main reason I upgraded from the TD-4 to the TD-9.
    The biggest downfall so far has been the hi hats. Roland could have dropped a few of the Snares and Bass drums from the v2.0 upgrade for the TD-9 and added a couple of new acoustic hi hats... am missing a nice full / hollow sounding hi hat!
    Anwaysup... does the community have a system for sharing our kits?
    I also have a VERY useful Microsoft Excel file I have started creating to write down my TD-4 kit settings (seeing as how you cant save them externally). The Excel file has a sheet per kit, all of the pads appear as cells with pull-down values, for the instrument assignation, pitch, muffle pan etc - very useful for any TD-4 owner who likes creating their own kits. I have already added the values for the factory V-Compact, Coated, Fiber, Electronic, Reggae and Vintage kits.
    Can we upload files here somewhere?
    I looked into the TD-9 backup a bit more, and I've read that using VDrumLib you dont need to create a backup file with ALL of your TD-9 99 (or is it 100?) kits. The kit librarian lets you create a backup file starting at No 90 - as I understand it, if you then restore this via USB to your TD-9 your first 90 Factory kits wont be touched, you'll just fill up / overwrite the User slots. That seems like a great way to share our own creations.

Well guys let me know, Ill be more than happy to share anything I work on, and it would be great to hear what other creative minds are up to - especially any clever tricks to really squeeze some juice out of the TD-9.
    Next kits up will probably be a few more of my favourite TD-4 kits, some more EZ Drummer simulations (good if you are planning to record a track with one of those kits but need to practice or play live without a PC), a couple of drum machines (other than the 808, or 909) Hmmm I used to love the 707 and 727! Some latin percussion kit, Paul Young, Nick Kershaw, Depeche Mode any 80s stuff that had a very distinctive sound... Thomson Twins always had interesting rhythm tracks.

Ta Taaa

J
    Great idea, Ill start creating and sharing.
    50.00%
    Made my own kits, but don't know where to share.
    25.00%
    How do I go about creating my own kits?
    0.00%
    My kits rock! V Expressions should give me a job...
    0.00%
    Buff, why bother! Ill buy some Vex Packs.
    25.00%

The poll is expired.

Last edited by Jason Serrano; 04-03-12, 06:57 AM.

I agree a couple more hihats would have been nice - and might have tempted me to buy.

there are a few shared kits on the site, a nice Jazz kit for instance, not in Excel format, but .td9 files...
    TD9+6v module, KD-8, custom Diamond Electronic 12" snare + 2x8" + 2x10" toms, PD-85, 4xPD8, 2xCY8, CY-5, CY-12r/c, Pearl P902 double pedals, Diamond Electronic COWBELL!
    HPD-10 ATH-50M phones and 4 Vex Packs for the TD-9

Gibson Les Paul. + pod xtl, Norman acoustic, Fender J-Bass + gt10b

Clavia Nord Stage 2 Synth/Stage Piano Samson SR850 'phones

cubase, garritan personal orchestra, JABB, symphonic choirs, Sibelius, reason 6.5, IPAD 2 with lots of soft synths...

three shelter cats

Comment

The HiHats are the biggest disappointment. They all sound like tamborines. I have Vex and they don't sound close to the samples on the website. I've adjusted as much as I can for the closed chick sound also. Poor quality. The vex did bring the volume up somewhat.
      But just playing the hats closed, (edge or head) they do not sound like the Vex samples. Too bright. Open to closed sounds more "realistic". I am using a PM30. Is there any other adjustments I need to do?
      Roland TD-9K Gassed,PD125X, PCY130SC, Vex Acustix, Roland PM30, DW5000 kick-pedal, Mapex M Birch Honey-Maple,13" Zildjan K Dark Hats, 14" Zildjan A Fast Crash, 21" Sabian AAX Memphis Ride, 15" Sabian HHXtreme Crash, 16" Sabian AAX Dark Crash.

Comment

Originally posted by Jason Serrano View Post
        I looked into the TD-9 backup a bit more, and I've read that using VDrumLib you dont need to create a backup file with ALL of your TD-9 99 (or is it 100?) kits. The kit librarian lets you create a backup file starting at No 90 - as I understand it, if you then restore this via USB to your TD-9 your first 90 Factory kits wont be touched, you'll just fill up / overwrite the User slots. That seems like a great way to share our own creations.
        I think you have misinterpreted something there. VDrumLib uses backup files to transfer kits from computer via USB to module, and they contain all kits. (For other modules with MIDI bulk dump it is possible to load a few kits to specific numbered slots; that way they don't have to start at number 1 although that is the default.)

Because TD-9 backup files always contain 99 kits, if you load multiple kits via USB BACKUP LOAD it has to be all 99 (and you want to select KITS, not ALL unless you want to overwrite your current trigger settings etc.) You can load a single kit from a USB backup using COPY. But you can only load 1 or all 99.

(VDrumLib's online help page is not clear on this point, I just realized; Choose The Kit Number That You Want To Start Your New Library At only applies to MIDI transmission.)

Bruce
        Last edited by BarT; 04-03-12, 05:50 PM.
        • Roland TD-20+TDW-20, TD-8, SPD-S, PD-105, PD-6/8, CY-5/6/8/12, FD-6/8, KD-7/8, RT-10K, PM-30, DB-90
        • Hart Acupad, Hart Hammer, Pintech Dingbat, Sony MDR-7505, Shure E2, 512. Pacific CX, Zildjian A Customs.

Comment

Originally posted by Doogr View Post
          The HiHats are the biggest disappointment. They all sound like tamborines. I have Vex and they don't sound close to the samples on the website. I've adjusted as much as I can for the closed chick sound also. Poor quality. The vex did bring the volume up somewhat.
          But just playing the hats closed, (edge or head) they do not sound like the Vex samples. Too bright. Open to closed sounds more "realistic". I am using a PM30. Is there any other adjustments I need to do?
          Did you listen to the Vex samples through the PM-30?

I think you probably need to turn down the high and perhaps mid eq on the PM-30. Cymbals can sound very harsh through that, especially with ambience on.

Bruce
          • Roland TD-20+TDW-20, TD-8, SPD-S, PD-105, PD-6/8, CY-5/6/8/12, FD-6/8, KD-7/8, RT-10K, PM-30, DB-90
          • Hart Acupad, Hart Hammer, Pintech Dingbat, Sony MDR-7505, Shure E2, 512. Pacific CX, Zildjian A Customs.

Comment

Hi! I'd like to listen to your kits, i'm very interested! I'm a totally newbie on creating custom kits, i just mix up the existing ones

Comment

Hi Bruce...

So if I understand you correctly... via USB (for the TD-9) their is no ability to create a kit set with VDrumLib on your PC that starts at, lets say, kit 90 (leaving the first 89 kits empty) - then load that via USB to the TD-9. The TD-9 sees the first 89 kits as empty and therefore does not load them (and so does not overwrite the first 89 kits on the TD-9) but just overwrites the kits starting at 90??? VDrumLib has this function, but it does not work for the TD-9/USB setup - only the modules that use midi transmission???
              Buffff!!! Bad news. So you have to keep tinkering with your kit groups (99 kits) on PC and then load the whole lot back to TD-9 overwriting the WHOLE kit memory!??? Sounds more like a problem with the Roland TD-9 design than VDrumLib.

Cheers

Jason

Comment

Hmmm, Bruce... you say that via USB you can COPY a single kit for your USB 99 kit backup to any kit location on the TD-9???
                So you could load/copy 5 individual kits from 5 different USB backup collections (of 99 kits each), one at a time, to any of the 99 locations in the TD-9 without overwriting the other 94 kits on the TD-9?
                Or only COPY a single kit from USB to 90-99 USER loctaions on the TD-9, and then swap them around using the TD-9s own utility?

Cheers

Jason

Comment

Hi Saku
                  Im about to finish my first set of USER kits, where EXACTLY on the site are people uploading and sharing the .td9 files. Is there an ability to upload any type of file? Lets say a zip with the .td9 file, an excel file with the new kit details, and maybe photos of the kits recreated etc??? Maybe some MP3s of what the kits sound like so people can audition them on their mp3 players before loading to TD-9?

Cheers

Jason

Comment

Ive just finished the Prince kit - made up of sounds like those in the Parade: Under A Cherry Moon album - particularly the New Position track - quite original.
                    Im working on a krusty old kit... like the first kit I played at school - sounded awful - really slack and ringy, again could be useful for a track looking for that kind of sound. Ive also just started doing a Roland TR-707 kit.
                    All of the kits are just approximations because at the end of the day you can only work with the sounds that are on the TD-9, not load new ones, and the only parameters are pitch and sustain (call it muffling or whatever etc). Still when you pay for a VexPack thats what they are selling you - they're just saving you the time.
                    Im setting ambience and eq on the kits too... but not messing with the TD-9 pad setup... there are advantages to this... you can create "simulated" extra volume or "compression" effects, but as I understand this effects all of the kits... which I dont like the idea of - better let the user set how they want the pads to respond, and then just pass on kit info.

Next up I think Ill create a Roland TR-727, and then a mixed 707-727 kit.

Ive asked where I can upload the files and will do so as soon as I find out.

Cheers

Jason

Comment

Hi Saku
                      Im about to finish my first set of USER kits, where EXACTLY on the site are people uploading and sharing the .td9 files. Is there an ability to upload any type of file? Lets say a zip with the .td9 file, an excel file with the new kit details, and maybe photos of the kits recreated etc??? Maybe some MP3s of what the kits sound like so people can audition them on their mp3 players before loading to TD-9?

Cheers

Jason
                      In the VEXPRESSIONS AND CUSTOM KITS section. Yes, td9, zip, and excel files should all work, as well as photos.
                      Photos can be inbedded if you have them on line, otherwise, just manage attachments and upload.
                      TD9+6v module, KD-8, custom Diamond Electronic 12" snare + 2x8" + 2x10" toms, PD-85, 4xPD8, 2xCY8, CY-5, CY-12r/c, Pearl P902 double pedals, Diamond Electronic COWBELL!
                      HPD-10 ATH-50M phones and 4 Vex Packs for the TD-9

Gibson Les Paul. + pod xtl, Norman acoustic, Fender J-Bass + gt10b

Clavia Nord Stage 2 Synth/Stage Piano Samson SR850 'phones

cubase, garritan personal orchestra, JABB, symphonic choirs, Sibelius, reason 6.5, IPAD 2 with lots of soft synths...

three shelter cats

Comment

Hi Bruce...

So if I understand you correctly... via USB (for the TD-9) their is no ability to create a kit set with VDrumLib on your PC that starts at, lets say, kit 90 (leaving the first 89 kits empty) - then load that via USB to the TD-9. The TD-9 sees the first 89 kits as empty and therefore does not load them (and so does not overwrite the first 89 kits on the TD-9) but just overwrites the kits starting at 90??? VDrumLib has this function, but it does not work for the TD-9/USB setup - only the modules that use midi transmission???
                        Buffff!!! Bad news. So you have to keep tinkering with your kit groups (99 kits) on PC and then load the whole lot back to TD-9 overwriting the WHOLE kit memory!??? Sounds more like a problem with the Roland TD-9 design than VDrumLib.

Cheers

Jason
                        Yes, Roland only intended the BACKUP LOAD function to be used to restore all kits modified and saved from the module, not to load just a few new kits.

Hmmm, Bruce... you say that via USB you can COPY a single kit for your USB 99 kit backup to any kit location on the TD-9???
                        So you could load/copy 5 individual kits from 5 different USB backup collections (of 99 kits each), one at a time, to any of the 99 locations in the TD-9 without overwriting the other 94 kits on the TD-9?
                        Or only COPY a single kit from USB to 90-99 USER loctaions on the TD-9, and then swap them around using the TD-9s own utility?

Cheers

Jason
                        Yes, the individual kit COPY from a backup won't interfere with anything else; and then you can use FUNC, KIT, COPY, EXCHNG to move it around as required.

Bruce

Comment

You are looking at this the wrong way. You should backup your entire module. Then, use VDrumLib to create a new backup that is a based on this backup, but with a few different kits added to the kit slots of your choice. Then, you can just restore your entire module from this new backup. The result will be exactly what you are after -- most of the kits and settings will be exactly the same, with the exception of the few kits that you have changed.

Also, you are confusing PRESET kits and USER kits. ALL 99 of the kits that you can backup are called USER kits. When you do a factory reset, all 99 of the USER kits are initialized with COPIES of the PRESET kits. You can edit these copies all you want and you will not affect any of the PRESET kits. You can always copy a PRESET kit into a user kit slot if you want to restore that kit to the factory settings.

Anyway, not all VDL users want to keep any of the factory kits. But, those that do, will make one backup after performing a factory reset. They then copy the factory kits from this backup when they want to add them to any of the backups that they make with VDL.

Hope this helps.

-SD-

Comment

Originally posted by SiliconDrummer View Post
                            Also, you are confusing PRESET kits and USER kits. ALL 99 of the kits that you can backup are called USER kits.
                            It's not surprising there's confusion though, because PRESET kits 90-99 are named User Kit.

Bruce

Comment

Originally posted by BarT View Post
                              It's not surprising there's confusion though, because PRESET kits 90-99 are named User Kit.

Bruce
                              I agree! The good news is that it looks like Roland also acknowledges this confusion because they added a section to the TD-30 manual to explain the memory types - User memory, Preset memory, USB memory, etc. Now if they can only figure out how to get people to read their users manuals

-SD-

Comment

Working...
                              X