X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gigging in Denver

OK - So, I started gigging with a acoustic drum set with mesh heads, acoustic triggers and a TD6V module. I have since got an incredible addiction and have gone through a few different sets and modules. I won't bore you with all the details. But I am currently using a TDW20 with all roland cymbals. Here in Denver, playing the original band circut. We don't make anything. Love of music is what it takes. I am currently playing clubs that will hold 200 - 300 people. That's not how many we or anyone gets. It's usually 60 to 100. The PA's are the clubs, and they have been abused. The sound guys get paid, but not much. This could be an extremly long soap opra, but it's not. I love playing, I'm 48 and just got back into it 2 years ago. Played bigger venues but that was then. Here is what I have found with smaller clubs.
    1. We run direct, yes everyone. No stage sound, it freaks the FOH guys out BECAUSE there is no stage sound, they are used to mixing with some stage sound. So we have our levels and we tell them, feed us an aux. from the main. That never works.
    2. I used to give them 6 to 8 outs. Guess what, they made them sound worse then I could of on a black out. (Those days are gone, really there gone, I can't remember them). I currently send them a balanced L&R from my main out. We practice with powered monitors, each facing up to us. This seems to help because that is what you usually get when your on stage. A powered monitor (even if it is ripped, stained, and showing a bit of puke). So, a balanced out (not balance thru your headphones) as close as you can get to where you play is where I'm at.
    I would love to play the big gigs again, but until then, I do believe, in my case. It is best to send the sound guys your best mix off your module.
    By the way, I use Vex kits. I have completely customized the ones I use live. But these guys know what there doing.3a3a80fd7a2f14a9d9f904841ab1300b.jpg
    c923cb671d9d6e562c824e8c3064b445.jpg
    Currently: North drums converted, TDW20, CY14 X 5 and 1 -15 cymbals. PD125BX for snare, KD120 inside 22" bass drum. Vex kits, SPD-S. Superior Drummer 2, Metal Foundry
    Band - INOTIO - (In-audio) stands for It's Not Over 'Till It's Over, http://www.inotio.com

Thanks for this summary, it's really useful to know the reality of sound on the local club circuit.

We're like you in that we run direct, always have.

What places in Denver? I went to school up the road in Boulder although that was a generation ago.

www.dauphinehotel.com
    www.myspace.com/rubberuniverse
    www.digitaldrummermag.com
    Mix and Match Heaven: TD-12 or EZDrummer, Diamond Drum 12" snare, Hart Acupad toms, Roland CY-5 mounted on a Hart Ecymbal II Pro Pedal, Hart Ride, Hart Acupad 8" bass, 2 Roland CY-14 crashes, two Concept 1 cymbals, a Yamaha PCY-10, all on a red Roland V-Sessions rack. Pads on hiatus: PD-7, Kit Toy Splash, Hart single-zone HH, Alesis DMPad ride and an entire Concept 1 kit.

Comment

I would think vex kits with direct outs doesn't work all that well or does it? When I run direct outs I send NO amb or EFX because they bleed through the channels. Vex I thought used the amb and EFX to get the sound.
      Ted H.

Comment

It seems to me that direct is best for edrums. We've tried it with the other instruments, but to be honest, I prefer stage sound in the mix when it comes to the guitars and bass. Maybe we just weren't mixing it very well. Nice kit BTW.
        Last edited by Fullback32; 04-13-12, 09:20 AM.
        TD-12; TD-6V; FD-8; Hart Pro Toms, Snare, Bass; ECII hihat, crashes, splash & ride; Smartrigger crashes & china; Hart Hammer Pad; Pintech Dingbat; Iron Cobra double-bass.

"I never play the same thing twice...sometimes because I simply can't remember it." - John Paul Jones

Comment

hey grog was it in the early 90's? for me back then the places i played were, the Broadway, bangles, PJ good vibes, big city lights, the wooden nickel, buffalo rose, pure energy, (colo. springs) and few others. the good ol'e days
          sigpicRoland TD 30 module, TDW 20 BK, VH13 hi-hats, custom Gibraltar rack, V expressions, Iron cobra power glide double pedal, Cobra clutch, Iron cobra lever glide hi hat, Kit-toys, KC 500, BBE 482, Roc-N-Soc nitro. , Promark, pearl throne thumper.
          Red DIY church - road kit with red sessions rack, vh12 hi hats, yamaha and kit-toys cymbals, DW T5000 hi hat, BBE 262,
          butt kicker

Comment

I was in Boulder from 79-85. Fullback is probably more familiar with some clubs up and down the Front Range than I would be.

The Broadway is ringing a bell.
            Mix and Match Heaven: TD-12 or EZDrummer, Diamond Drum 12" snare, Hart Acupad toms, Roland CY-5 mounted on a Hart Ecymbal II Pro Pedal, Hart Ride, Hart Acupad 8" bass, 2 Roland CY-14 crashes, two Concept 1 cymbals, a Yamaha PCY-10, all on a red Roland V-Sessions rack. Pads on hiatus: PD-7, Kit Toy Splash, Hart single-zone HH, Alesis DMPad ride and an entire Concept 1 kit.

Comment

I grew up in Boulder, lived there most of my life. Moved to Westminster in '99, California in '07. Anybody remember Big Daddy's (pre-disco era, ancient history)?

Comment

These days we play places like The Toad Tavern, Buffalo Rose, Herman's Hideway, Jamin' Joes, Oriental Theater, D Note. But way back in the 80"s it was Bangles, Mercury Cafe, and a few others that my mind won't let me remember! Go figure, after all I've put it through, I'm suprised I can even talk!

As far as running direct. I send them the two main outs of my TDW20 which have all the effects on them. If anything needs adjusting, I tell the FOH guy to let me know and I adjust with my mixers on the module. I have the kits balanced pretty well. I'm only using around 3 or 4 usually a night.
                Currently: North drums converted, TDW20, CY14 X 5 and 1 -15 cymbals. PD125BX for snare, KD120 inside 22" bass drum. Vex kits, SPD-S. Superior Drummer 2, Metal Foundry
                Band - INOTIO - (In-audio) stands for It's Not Over 'Till It's Over, http://www.inotio.com

Comment

I found with E drums it helps if you give the FOH Kick,snare and hat separately. I always tried to at least do the kick separate because it can overload the mixer channel if you do a stereo or mono mix. I just use A drums live right now.
                  I did this show in Denver last year at Cervantes: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bFVlvUtslw
                  It is a great club . Denver people were amazing and much less jaded that California audiences.
                  Peter

Comment

scd: Wow, never knew. It's amazing the people I've "met" here. What kind of kit are you playing in that youtube clip?

Comment

Thanks. That was a DW kit that the promoters brought. The high pitched tom is my 6" that I bring to every gig. I had to fly so I brought 1 timbale and 1 6" tom. We were supposed to play there 2 weeks from now but the bandleader could not get enough good paying gigs to do a tour. They usually count on 1 or 2 really good paying festival gigs to carry everything. The people in Denver were great!

Peter
                      www.realtribal.com

Comment

Originally posted by scd View Post
                        I found with E drums it helps if you give the FOH Kick,snare and hat separately. I always tried to at least do the kick separate because it can overload the mixer channel if you do a stereo or mono mix. I just use A drums live right now.
                        I did this show in Denver last year at Cervantes: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bFVlvUtslw
                        It is a great club . Denver people were amazing and much less jaded that California audiences.
                        Peter
                        I agree, in normal circumstances. I failed to mention that we do the original scene here, which means we usually do a 45 mnute set and have 4 to 5 bands with 15 minutes to set up. It's a monkey fest between bands. As far as Cervantes, it is another we like to play. The people here in Denver really do support the local original scene quite well.
                        Curtis

Comment

i remember those 45 min sets and 15 min changeovers! its good to hear that Denver still has good support for the original scene as they did back in the early 90's when i was there.
                          sigpicRoland TD 30 module, TDW 20 BK, VH13 hi-hats, custom Gibraltar rack, V expressions, Iron cobra power glide double pedal, Cobra clutch, Iron cobra lever glide hi hat, Kit-toys, KC 500, BBE 482, Roc-N-Soc nitro. , Promark, pearl throne thumper.
                          Red DIY church - road kit with red sessions rack, vh12 hi hats, yamaha and kit-toys cymbals, DW T5000 hi hat, BBE 262,
                          butt kicker

Comment

Working...
                          X