X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some live clips of my Gen 16's

Thought everyone might be interested in hearing the Zildjian Gen 16 cymbals in a live setting. I've had them a couple weeks now and although I still have some tweaking to do, I am in love with the hi hat and it's playability. These are from my band Steamboat Annie and recorded at a gig last night. I am playing my ddrum converted kit with a Roland TD -20 expanded, RT 10 triggers, a Roland SPD SX playing our backing tracks and, of course, the new cymbals.

http://youtu.be/DFzf-O-DZ0Q

http://youtu.be/LXazY0jqJnA

http://youtu.be/OnSen4FSOns
    sigpic
    Ddrum Ash Kit w/ Roland RT triggers, DDum Hybrid Kit w/ DW internal Triggers, Hart Pro Snare
    Roland td20 expanded and Roland spd-sx
    Zildjian Gen16 cymbal set up
    Tons of Vexpression kits

Every man has the right, the god damn right, to contribute a verse!

www.facebook.com/steamboatannie
    www.facebook.com/johnny.callan
    Email me

I like your guys' version of Lonely Boy. My band does that one as well as it's a fun little tune. I noticed that you use two "snares" to get around the triggering limitation of riding 8ths on the snare. I tried that also but settled on just doing slow double strokes with grace strokes with the right hand with the back beat accents with the left.

In your case, I'd try lowering the volume of the assigned snare that you use for the 8ths. I think they are a little too pronounced IMO.

Great stuff. Thanks for the post.
    DIY converted Ludwig Epic acoustic to E-Kit
    Surge, Yamaha, Roland, and AtoE cymbals

Roland TD-10 module
    Superior Drummer/Addictive Drums combo

Comment

Originally posted by DKaps View Post
      I like your guys' version of Lonely Boy. My band does that one as well as it's a fun little tune. I noticed that you use two "snares" to get around the triggering limitation of riding 8ths on the snare. I tried that also but settled on just doing slow double strokes with grace strokes with the right hand with the back beat accents with the left.

In your case, I'd try lowering the volume of the assigned snare that you use for the 8ths. I think they are a little too pronounced IMO.

Great stuff. Thanks for the post.
      Totally agree about the volume of the assigned snare. That's what is so good about recording yourself as it allows you to see what instruments are messed up in the mix. We just added that song this week so I wasn't sure how my kit was that I made for it. And, it is a fun tune to play. I also tried to play the part on my main snare only, but was getting some misfires on the trigger.
      sigpic
      Ddrum Ash Kit w/ Roland RT triggers, DDum Hybrid Kit w/ DW internal Triggers, Hart Pro Snare
      Tons of Vexpression kits

Email me

Comment

Originally posted by Steamboatannie View Post
        I also tried to play the part on my main snare only, but was getting some misfires on the trigger.
        Me too. It's either because of the module trying to cancel double-triggering or just the way mesh reacts to simultaneous hits. Not sure, but riding on the snare is sure hit and miss (pun intended).

Dan
        DIY converted Ludwig Epic acoustic to E-Kit
        Surge, Yamaha, Roland, and AtoE cymbals

Roland TD-10 module
        Superior Drummer/Addictive Drums combo

Comment

Dude I like the band as I've said before...and I'm sure the play ability of the Gen16 is great......but they still sound thin and tinny to me on all these vids. I guess I just need to hear a set live to see what folks see in them.

The band rocks though.
          8 Piece Smokey Chrome/Acrylic w/DIY Pans http://quartzpercussions.com/home_en.html 2BoxDrumIt5x2, DIY Acrylic Spl/Ch, Gen16 Hats/Rides/Ch/Spl, Assorted Gen16 Conversion Cymbals http://www.stealthdrums.com/,DW Remote,SleishmanTwin/QuadSteele Conversion, http://www.drumagination.com/drum-pe...com/mk_pro.php Gibraltar & DrumFrame rack systems
          www.airbrushartists.org/dreamscapeairbrushrealm

Comment

Originally posted by fulrmr(Daniel) View Post
            Dude I like the band as I've said before...and I'm sure the play ability of the Gen16 is great......but they still sound thin and tinny to me on all these vids. I guess I just need to hear a set live to see what folks see in them.

The band rocks though.
            I don't disagree with your points Daniel. But, for me personally, I am willing to give up the better cymbal sounds available through the module via diy cymbals for something that has, for me, better playability and better stability. Two factors are important for me - first and foremost, I hate electronic looking kits, so the Roland and hart cymbals are out for me (and I've played both of them for long periods of time). The stealth cymbals looked fantastic, but as I've mentioned in the other post, way too many reliability issues for the working drummer. Secondly, I need the stuff to work, no questions asked. I can't afford equipment failures in a gigging situation. There is just less to worry about with the Gen16's at this point. Tweaking is not my fine point (I live off V expression kits so I don't have to), and becasue of that I don't think I have made enough significant tweaks to these to get the best out of them. I'm waiting for the user sounds to start coming out and then I'll jump on them. The software makes it pretty easy to download and switch sounds in and out of the module. Bottom line is that these aren't for everybody. I was kinda pushed down this path because of the amount of work my band does and I just needed something stable. I have not, or would not, say that these things are better then what I have used in the past or what fellow e drum users have used. But, I posted these clips so that people can make a judgement, like you did, and I respect everyone's opinions and thoughts.
            sigpic
            Tons of Vexpression kits

Email me

Comment

Originally posted by Steamboatannie View Post
              I don't disagree with your points Daniel. But, for me personally, I am willing to give up the better cymbal sounds available through the module via diy cymbals for something that has, for me, better playability and better stability. Two factors are important for me - first and foremost, I hate electronic looking kits, so the Roland and hart cymbals are out for me (and I've played both of them for long periods of time). The stealth cymbals looked fantastic, but as I've mentioned in the other post, way too many reliability issues for the working drummer. Secondly, I need the stuff to work, no questions asked. I can't afford equipment failures in a gigging situation. There is just less to worry about with the Gen16's at this point. Tweaking is not my fine point (I live off V expression kits so I don't have to), and becasue of that I don't think I have made enough significant tweaks to these to get the best out of them. I'm waiting for the user sounds to start coming out and then I'll jump on them. The software makes it pretty easy to download and switch sounds in and out of the module. Bottom line is that these aren't for everybody. I was kinda pushed down this path because of the amount of work my band does and I just needed something stable. I have not, or would not, say that these things are better then what I have used in the past or what fellow e drum users have used. But, I posted these clips so that people can make a judgement, like you did, and I respect everyone's opinions and thoughts.
              hehehehe...Yeah I live off Vex packs too. I like to tweak on things...it just gets monotonous after fussing with it for hours and not being able to match the quality of Vex. The boys work magic as far as I'm concerned. Maybe as you said.....the more users out there keep fussing with these and giving feedback to Gen16 the better these will become and the more usable presets will become available.
              8 Piece Smokey Chrome/Acrylic w/DIY Pans http://quartzpercussions.com/home_en.html 2BoxDrumIt5x2, DIY Acrylic Spl/Ch, Gen16 Hats/Rides/Ch/Spl, Assorted Gen16 Conversion Cymbals http://www.stealthdrums.com/,DW Remote,SleishmanTwin/QuadSteele Conversion, http://www.drumagination.com/drum-pe...com/mk_pro.php Gibraltar & DrumFrame rack systems
              www.airbrushartists.org/dreamscapeairbrushrealm

Comment

Working...
              X