Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

A Different Kind of Kick Drum

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • A Different Kind of Kick Drum

    One of our biggest complaints/drawbacks (in the eyes of some) regarding edrums is the bass response of the kick.

    Last night me and Mrs grog went to see Matt Nathanson (if you're a guy in your 20s to mid 30s and want to go to an event where at least 60% of the audience are woman in your age bracket, go see this guy). The band opening for him is a singer named Rachel Platten.

    Her drummer, Craig Meyer, had a very small kit up there: acoustic snare, acoustic HH, a Roland SPD-SX and a "kick drum" which is the subject of this post. Look at this video:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NF0Sw1rlO-I

    That blue box in the foreground, that's his kick drum. Now, at the venue, The Blue Note in Columbia Missouri, sound quality either because of the venue's gear or the venue's sound people, has *always* sucked. Massively. Last night was no exception. That being said, the massive thump and boom of this Meyer's kick drum had me thinking this had to be either sampled or somehow electronically triggered, then significantly tweaked front of house. The above video won't give you that amazing sense of thump.

    So, after the show, early into Nathanson's set, I see him back near the bar at the back of the venue. I go over and ask him, what's your kick drum. His answer?

    Plastic Steps.

    Naturally I reply "wtf are plastic steps". And he said, literally that box you see is "plastic steps", it's not electronic, it's simply miced like any kick drum. He said trying to haul a kick drum around on tour with a small band like Rachel's is a large pain and I had to admit, he brought new meaning to the phrase "compact kit".

    I have an email in to him asking if he could elaborate on "plastic steps" since it might be something folks here who are looking for small kit alternatives could use.

    www.dauphinehotel.com
    www.myspace.com/rubberuniverse
    www.digitaldrummermag.com
    Mix and Match Heaven: TD-12 or EZDrummer, Diamond Drum 12" snare, Hart Acupad toms, Roland CY-5 mounted on a Hart Ecymbal II Pro Pedal, Hart Ride, Hart Acupad 8" bass, 2 Roland CY-14 crashes, two Concept 1 cymbals, a Yamaha PCY-10, all on a red Roland V-Sessions rack. Pads on hiatus: PD-7, Kit Toy Splash, Hart single-zone HH, Alesis DMPad ride and an entire Concept 1 kit.

  • #2
    Interesting. I thought maybe it was his snare case.

    I Googled this....https://www.google.com/search?q=plas...w=1366&bih=643

    Could something like this be what he was using? Crazy.
    8 Piece Smokey Chrome/Acrylic w/DIY Pans http://quartzpercussions.com/home_en.html 2BoxDrumIt5x2, DIY Acrylic Spl/Ch, Gen16 Hats/Rides/Ch/Spl, Assorted Gen16 Conversion Cymbals http://www.stealthdrums.com/,DW Remote,SleishmanTwin/QuadSteele Conversion, http://www.drumagination.com/drum-pe...com/mk_pro.php Gibraltar & DrumFrame rack systems
    www.airbrushartists.org/dreamscapeairbrushrealm

    Comment


    • #3
      The thing is look at that case in the video, I don't see any steps/stairs in it. Mrs grog got a better look at it from the front but all she saw was a box.

      Damn nice resonance to that box tho. Hopefully he'll get back to me and I'll report the results.

      www.dauphinehotel.com
      www.myspace.com/rubberuniverse
      www.digitaldrummermag.com
      Mix and Match Heaven: TD-12 or EZDrummer, Diamond Drum 12" snare, Hart Acupad toms, Roland CY-5 mounted on a Hart Ecymbal II Pro Pedal, Hart Ride, Hart Acupad 8" bass, 2 Roland CY-14 crashes, two Concept 1 cymbals, a Yamaha PCY-10, all on a red Roland V-Sessions rack. Pads on hiatus: PD-7, Kit Toy Splash, Hart single-zone HH, Alesis DMPad ride and an entire Concept 1 kit.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by grog View Post
        The thing is look at that case in the video, I don't see any steps/stairs in it. Mrs grog got a better look at it from the front but all she saw was a box.

        Damn nice resonance to that box tho. Hopefully he'll get back to me and I'll report the results.

        www.dauphinehotel.com
        www.myspace.com/rubberuniverse
        www.digitaldrummermag.com
        I bet it was one of these laid on it's edge......



        Really not much smaller than my split 22" kick.


        2cc1adca423de896a139b4e1e3362275.jpg
        8 Piece Smokey Chrome/Acrylic w/DIY Pans http://quartzpercussions.com/home_en.html 2BoxDrumIt5x2, DIY Acrylic Spl/Ch, Gen16 Hats/Rides/Ch/Spl, Assorted Gen16 Conversion Cymbals http://www.stealthdrums.com/,DW Remote,SleishmanTwin/QuadSteele Conversion, http://www.drumagination.com/drum-pe...com/mk_pro.php Gibraltar & DrumFrame rack systems
        www.airbrushartists.org/dreamscapeairbrushrealm

        Comment


        • #5
          Here's a snip of the "bass" ...




          Doesn't really look like a step???








          d62eaae0c7583e77ed9940820420a975.jpg
          Hardware: TD20SX --> Roland UA-25EX --> MSI GT780DX w/ i7 2670, 16-GB of Ram, Windows 7
          Software: Superior Drummer 2.0, Metal Foundry SDX, Metal Machine EZX, Toontrack Solo - - Sonor X1 Studio - -

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Hoppy View Post
            Here's a snip of the "bass" ...




            Doesn't really look like a step???










            d62eaae0c7583e77ed9940820420a975.jpg
            Meh......still looks like a snare case or cymbal case to me. But he could have easily modified "the step" with handles and rack corners to keep it from being damaged during transport. He would have to modify it somehow to keep his pedal attached too. Maybe that's what the straps are for?
            8 Piece Smokey Chrome/Acrylic w/DIY Pans http://quartzpercussions.com/home_en.html 2BoxDrumIt5x2, DIY Acrylic Spl/Ch, Gen16 Hats/Rides/Ch/Spl, Assorted Gen16 Conversion Cymbals http://www.stealthdrums.com/,DW Remote,SleishmanTwin/QuadSteele Conversion, http://www.drumagination.com/drum-pe...com/mk_pro.php Gibraltar & DrumFrame rack systems
            www.airbrushartists.org/dreamscapeairbrushrealm

            Comment


            • #7
              Looks like a case with a handle, strap, and metal corners, but maybe he added those things to make the steps portable, durable, and stationary?

              Ps - Daniel beat me to it.
              Alesis DM10 Module, S&S Industries Stinger XL snare & Stinger P1 toms, Alesis DMPad cymbals, Roland PD-8 & KD-7, Gibraltar rack/hardware, Tama hardware, Hart Maxxum/Magnum Mesh Heads, Roland KC-350 amp, ATH-M50s headphones

              Comment


              • #8
                Oh yeah there is a whole thread on this on another drum site. Check this out:
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnbTMeJMP10&feature=fvst

                Do a search on "suitcase drumsets" and you will find tons of info on them.
                TD30KV, KC-550, SPD-S, Tama Iron Cobra double peddle, Jamhub Greenroom, IWdrums lites, TD-10TDW-1, Vex:Classic XP, System 1, Expressions, Master 50, The Vault, Stealth AtoE 16" Ride, 2 14" Crash, 8" Splash, 10" HH Cymbals, SPD-30 Octopad, RMP-5 Rhythm Coach, TD-10 (brain only)

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by cyberdyke View Post
                  Oh yeah there is a whole thread on this on another drum site. Check this out:
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnbTMeJMP10&feature=fvst

                  Do a search on "suitcase drumsets" and you will find tons of info on them.
                  Nice. My first thought was suitcase and then I thought...nah...must be snare case. Nice little rack roller that guy had there. Very ingenious if you ask me.
                  8 Piece Smokey Chrome/Acrylic w/DIY Pans http://quartzpercussions.com/home_en.html 2BoxDrumIt5x2, DIY Acrylic Spl/Ch, Gen16 Hats/Rides/Ch/Spl, Assorted Gen16 Conversion Cymbals http://www.stealthdrums.com/,DW Remote,SleishmanTwin/QuadSteele Conversion, http://www.drumagination.com/drum-pe...com/mk_pro.php Gibraltar & DrumFrame rack systems
                  www.airbrushartists.org/dreamscapeairbrushrealm

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    found the other threads:
                    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...light=suitcase

                    And:
                    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...light=suitcase
                    TD30KV, KC-550, SPD-S, Tama Iron Cobra double peddle, Jamhub Greenroom, IWdrums lites, TD-10TDW-1, Vex:Classic XP, System 1, Expressions, Master 50, The Vault, Stealth AtoE 16" Ride, 2 14" Crash, 8" Splash, 10" HH Cymbals, SPD-30 Octopad, RMP-5 Rhythm Coach, TD-10 (brain only)

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Ah, that helps. Now for my next question: what is the "pad" the Japanese drummer has as his "kick"? It's pretty clear that in both cases we're looking at some kind of DIY thing but it's also clear this is applying some kind of commercial "pad" to a platform, then kick it with a pedal.

                      The thing that amazed me most about what I saw with Meyer's "kick" was the sound. I mean I don't typically hear expensive acoustic kicks at that venue sound that, well, massive. I can't get my head around the fact that perhaps this guy simply has some kind of commercially available pad attached to some old case and can get that kind of resonance out of it while we spend upwards of thousands of dollars on modules and we still get hit with "but I can't *feel* the thump!"

                      www.dauphinehotel.com
                      www.myspace.com/rubberuniverse
                      www.digitaldrummermag.com
                      Mix and Match Heaven: TD-12 or EZDrummer, Diamond Drum 12" snare, Hart Acupad toms, Roland CY-5 mounted on a Hart Ecymbal II Pro Pedal, Hart Ride, Hart Acupad 8" bass, 2 Roland CY-14 crashes, two Concept 1 cymbals, a Yamaha PCY-10, all on a red Roland V-Sessions rack. Pads on hiatus: PD-7, Kit Toy Splash, Hart single-zone HH, Alesis DMPad ride and an entire Concept 1 kit.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by grog View Post
                        Ah, that helps. Now for my next question: what is the "pad" the Japanese drummer has as his "kick"? It's pretty clear that in both cases we're looking at some kind of DIY thing but it's also clear this is applying some kind of commercial "pad" to a platform, then kick it with a pedal.

                        The thing that amazed me most about what I saw with Meyer's "kick" was the sound. I mean I don't typically hear expensive acoustic kicks at that venue sound that, well, massive. I can't get my head around the fact that perhaps this guy simply has some kind of commercially available pad attached to some old case and can get that kind of resonance out of it while we spend upwards of thousands of dollars on modules and we still get hit with "but I can't *feel* the thump!"

                        www.dauphinehotel.com
                        www.myspace.com/rubberuniverse
                        www.digitaldrummermag.com
                        Looks like a standard mylar drum head with a patch to me...only colored.

                        The same for all the rest of them in the other posts/pics/vids. I'm wondering what and how they attach to the case to get the head and rim to tension up for tuning? I see the standard lug bolts of course but I can't tell if there is some sort of shallow "shell" for the head to seat on. There must be...right?
                        8 Piece Smokey Chrome/Acrylic w/DIY Pans http://quartzpercussions.com/home_en.html 2BoxDrumIt5x2, DIY Acrylic Spl/Ch, Gen16 Hats/Rides/Ch/Spl, Assorted Gen16 Conversion Cymbals http://www.stealthdrums.com/,DW Remote,SleishmanTwin/QuadSteele Conversion, http://www.drumagination.com/drum-pe...com/mk_pro.php Gibraltar & DrumFrame rack systems
                        www.airbrushartists.org/dreamscapeairbrushrealm

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by fulrmr(Daniel) View Post
                          The same for all the rest of them in the other posts/pics/vids. I'm wondering what and how they attach to the case to get the head and rim to tension up for tuning? I see the standard lug bolts of course but I can't tell if there is some sort of shallow "shell" for the head to seat on. There must be...right?

                          Found some pictures. They seem to confirm your thought!






                          .
                          .
                          Greetings from Switzerland,
                          - Dänoh



                          "My best friends' name is J-SON. They used to call him 'Mr. Parse.' He has an 'Error'..!"

                          http://www.vdrums.com/forum/core/cus...ar33631_4.jpeg

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by hairmetal-81 View Post
                            Found some pictures. They seem to confirm your thought!






                            Cool. Thanks.
                            8 Piece Smokey Chrome/Acrylic w/DIY Pans http://quartzpercussions.com/home_en.html 2BoxDrumIt5x2, DIY Acrylic Spl/Ch, Gen16 Hats/Rides/Ch/Spl, Assorted Gen16 Conversion Cymbals http://www.stealthdrums.com/,DW Remote,SleishmanTwin/QuadSteele Conversion, http://www.drumagination.com/drum-pe...com/mk_pro.php Gibraltar & DrumFrame rack systems
                            www.airbrushartists.org/dreamscapeairbrushrealm

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Before I even read your post, I thought it was the snare case with a mic inside. I've done it. True story. It was the early 80's.
                              Alan
                              ______________________________________________
                              check out our website to get kits for your Roland module: v expressions ltd

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X