Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you want to see in the td-40 ?

I thought to start a new thread that will keep you busy for a long time and will keep you even more away from your drums.

I might consider buying roland again if :

I hear more realistic sounds from the modules
    I see bigger and with more wraps/finishes pads
    Roland finds a way to built a wireless kit so we can get rid of spaghetti's
    They change the colour of their cymbals

Now excuse me , i won't bother you anymore here...
    Ex E-kits:
    ''Lernean Hydra'' ( a bounche of roland pads with a td-6 module)
    ''Lucy'' (Diamond electronic drums with a td-12 module)
    current E-kit
    ''Cherry Gretschy Lady'' (Gretsch Catalina Ash 6 piece A to E kit-Roland td20 module-A to E cymbals)

A-kit
    " Mrs.Catalina'' (Gretsch Catalina maple 6 piece kit-Paiste signature+Masterwork custom made cymbals)

check out a few videos http://www.youtube.com/user/hampisdrums

i would like a blonde included, so when i unbox she pops out - like in those huge fake cakes...then she can help me bang away all night
    E-kit: TD-9KX, VH-11, SPD-S, SPD-30, VEX
    A-kits: Gretsch Catalina, Whitney nesting drums, 50s Vintage Premier Jazz, Gretsch 10" Snare, various Zildjian As, 2x1950s Avedis Zildjian 18" Crash/Rides

Videos

The Dust Revival Band

Spinifex Rose

Kristy Lewis and the Wretched

Wayfaring Strangers

Comment

I'd like to see splash cymbals. The new color is great but if you want a smaller cymbal you have to get a black one and the smallest size is 12". Right now the best option is to buy yamaha cymbals if you want splashes, they offer 15", 13" and 10" which is perfect IMO.

I think the new cymbals need more size options like 10", 12",13" and 15". Maybe even a 16" ride.

Comment

Please convert the zildjian cymbals to trigger with at least 4 different zones, develop a software trigger interpreter (also the hi hat which will make the roland module obsolete. Improve dynamics.

Kai
        New system: I5 Asus, Asus P8Z77, W7, 64 Bit, G-Skill 16 Gig Ram, 2 Samsung SSD, Lian Li rack enclosure, Enermaxx power supply.
        Old system (the same! latency with RME AIO), TD12, Drum Tec pads, BFD2, RME AIO, Asus P5B using XP, UAD Quad, Platinum Samples: Jim Scott, Baressi, Andy Johns, Taiko, Gretsch Kit, 8bit Kit, Percussion, XLF, Modern Drummer Snares, Deluxe, Yamaha Oak, Absolute, BFD Snares, Battery, Reaper, Cubase, Kontakt 5, Amplitube, Redwirez

Comment

Sampling !!!!

To say it in more than one word:
          The merging of SPD-SX technology with TD-series modules.

Oh, and throw in an e-SATA or Thunderbolt connection, for a means of fast sample transfer!
          Greetings from Switzerland,
          - Dänoh

"My best friends' name is J-SON. They used to call him 'Mr. Parse.' He has an 'Error'..!"

http://www.vdrums.com/forum/core/cus...ar33631_4.jpeg

Comment

Why merging?

Get rid of old school lame bad donkey sounding modules with "virtual modelling"....(synthese is interesting for electronic music)...merge e.pads with computers or tablets....period!

The drum music hardware industry is simply in the late 90ties.....much more is possible, I do not want to spend my money on oldtimers....the zildjian offering and new roland module are a bad joke....if there would be another modern implemented interface solution.....but there is nothing....therefore I am waiting and will not spend additional money.....

I think the only reason no one is implementing ssd/big sample libraries.....the margin is too small....so they are inventing the wheel with thousand quadrangles

Kai
            Last edited by Ribot; 03-31-12, 10:11 AM.
            New system: I5 Asus, Asus P8Z77, W7, 64 Bit, G-Skill 16 Gig Ram, 2 Samsung SSD, Lian Li rack enclosure, Enermaxx power supply.
            Old system (the same! latency with RME AIO), TD12, Drum Tec pads, BFD2, RME AIO, Asus P5B using XP, UAD Quad, Platinum Samples: Jim Scott, Baressi, Andy Johns, Taiko, Gretsch Kit, 8bit Kit, Percussion, XLF, Modern Drummer Snares, Deluxe, Yamaha Oak, Absolute, BFD Snares, Battery, Reaper, Cubase, Kontakt 5, Amplitube, Redwirez

Comment

Aesthetics:

Flagship pads in 10x8, 10x10, 12x10 and 12x12.
              Bass Drum in 18x16 or 20x18.
              All with dual lugs/heads.
              More realistic cymbals.
              Alan

Comment

As always......

*agreeing with the deeper double rimmed pads 8",10",12" 14" toms...13",14" snare 16-22" Kick
                *China and splashes in at least 2 different sizes each and larger 18" ride (more realistic finish for aesthetics)
                *new base samples for their sound engine at the very least
                *conversion tool for VSTsamples (ala 2Box style) for use with the new Supernatural sound engine
                *25 dual inputs (at least) with assignable piezo/piezo-piezo/switch options for each
                *Direct Out for each input with assignable pre and post FX options for each
                * Individual physical faders for each input
                *Assignable physical buttons for easy user customization
                *7" or 10" touch screen for UI and detailed programming
                Hmmm.....I'm sure I'll think of more within the 8 years or so until they actually release a new flagship.
                8 Piece Smokey Chrome/Acrylic w/DIY Pans http://quartzpercussions.com/home_en.html 2BoxDrumIt5x2, DIY Acrylic Spl/Ch, Gen16 Hats/Rides/Ch/Spl, Assorted Gen16 Conversion Cymbals http://www.stealthdrums.com/,DW Remote,SleishmanTwin/QuadSteele Conversion, http://www.drumagination.com/drum-pe...com/mk_pro.php Gibraltar & DrumFrame rack systems
                www.airbrushartists.org/dreamscapeairbrushrealm

Comment

Separated sound-processing unit and I/O-breakout box:
                  The sound-processing unit can be used on its own, to be triggered via midi, DAW note-drawing, or MPC-style pads.
                  The breakout-box can be used as a TMI on its own to trigger VSTs or software-samplers.
                  Both can be used together, to form a normal drum-module, say for gigging live.

It could look like this:

(someone with better Photoshop/Gimp-skills than me could maybe make the front panel resemble a TD-30 and the breakout box having the proper ins and outs... )

Greetings from Switzerland,
                  - Dänoh

"My best friends' name is J-SON. They used to call him 'Mr. Parse.' He has an 'Error'..!"

http://www.vdrums.com/forum/core/cus...ar33631_4.jpeg

Comment

need volume slide controls for every harware piece used on the kit !
                    need more inputs more outputs eg 16 outs, better sounds, more realistic cymbals, more sizes in the cymbals eg crashes, splashes, rides and china's.
                    Bigger bass drum with double skins and double skins on all drums just for looks. more auxillary inputs and more flexible mixing inputs and outputs.
                    NOW with New Improved TD-30 Module, some V drums an other music making thingies with miscellaneous small furry animals, large hairy animals, motorcycle bits and a big muff.

Comment

yes - more inputs and 1:1 analog outputs for every input

yes - wireless

yes - sampling

96KHz digital outputs

a small gooseneck LED

double BD inputs (Lmono/R)

Balanced analog I/O

don't care about the pads or cymbals

Comment

I like the wireless idea....

But....

It would need to be either 5.8GHz or 1.3GHz tech (the 2.4GHz spectrum is very crowded... your mobile could set off a funky solo in the middle of a gig!! haahha)
                        Multi-channelling is not a huge problem because the spectrum is broad. R/C hobbyists use similar frequencies so that has to be considered. Spread Spectrum tech is widely used to prevent cross interference with multiple transmitters in a small space. The carriers frequency only would have to deal with 127 levels of velocity... tie it in with MIDI to keep the conversion process simpler.

There would also need to be a power supply of sorts to the pads/cymbals. So... unless you go batteries which, IMHO, would be a BAD idea.... you still have to have a power delivery system. Small DC cables built into a proprietary racking system would work... but is semi defeating the purpose of going wireless.
                        Unless, the DC power system id cleverly disguised in the mounts. For the drums that would be easy as they don't move around a lot... but the cymbals could be tricky.

Plus it raises issues with expansion. It won't be as easy as plugging in a new device! You would have to set new frequencies, possibly plug in expansion modules as daughterboards, much like the way the TDW-20 was.

In theory it could be done....
                        But forget about DIY with it. The transmitters would be built into the Roland (or who ever builds it) pads/drums/cymbals and the tech I highly doubt would be released as an add on.
                        Lets not forget about the monumental cost this all would add to a kit!!!

Wires are simple... cost effective and are manageable. Easily replaced if need be and reliable.
                        Last edited by rasoo; 04-02-12, 07:32 PM.
                        Rob
                        Building GAS as we speak!! - TD11KV. Extra Yamaha cymbals. MDS-25 rack.

Comment

Originally posted by rasoo View Post
                          I like the wireless idea....

But....

It would need to be either 5.8GHz or 1.3GHz tech (the 2.4GHz spectrum is very crowded... your mobile could set off a funky solo in the middle of a gig!! haahha)
                          Multi-channelling is not a huge problem because the spectrum is broad. R/C hobbyists use similar frequencies so that has to be considered. Spread Spectrum tech is widely used to prevent cross interference with multiple transmitters in a small space. The carriers frequency only would have to deal with 127 levels of velocity... tie it in with MIDI to keep the conversion process simpler.

There would also need to be a power supply of sorts to the pads/cymbals. So... unless you go batteries which, IMHO, would be a BAD idea.... you still have to have a power delivery system. Small DC cables built into a proprietary racking system would work... but is semi defeating the purpose of going wireless.
                          Unless, the DC power system id cleverly disguised in the mounts. For the drums that would be easy as they don't move around a lot... but the cymbals could be tricky.

Plus it raises issues with expansion. It won't be as easy as plugging in a new device! You would have to set new frequencies, possibly plug in expansion modules as daughterboards, much like the way the TDW-20 was.

In theory it could be done....
                          But forget about DIY with it. The transmitters would be built into the Roland (or who ever builds it) pads/drums/cymbals and the tech I highly doubt would be released as an add on.
                          Lets not forget about the monumental cost this all would add to a kit!!!

Wires are simple... cost effective and are manageable. Easily replaced if need be and reliable.
                          Bluetooth device pairing would get around 'crowded' spectrums and expansion issues very easily.
                          Perfect for 10-12' range in the kit setup.
                          Small transmitter in the base of the trigger basket/underside of the cymbal pad (Would be no bigger on a cymbal housing that the current socket setups.).
                          Rechargeable battery packs (a la mobile phone or camera) that can be easily clipped in/out of the device/charger.
                          While we're at it, optional portable 12-dock charger for the gigging drummer (the rest of us could cope with one or two bays at home)

I don't think it would need to kill DIY, but it wouldn't help it - why would Roland care anyway?!
                          An RT type of trigger could easily house the BT transmitter, so maybe there'd still be an option there...

THAT, I'd like to see.
                          Last edited by Tazed; 04-02-12, 08:06 PM.
                          Triggers: Roland TD-30; PD-125s, PD-105s; KD-120, VH-11, CY-15R, CY-14Cs, CY-12C, BT-1, Hart Dynamics Hammer
                          Hardware: Gibraltar 9600 Series (SN/HH/Pedal), Short Booms, Tube Clamps, Grabbers, Road Series Chrome Clamps on 2 x MDS-9 Rack Tube sets
                          Other: Roland SPD-S, Korg WaveDrum, Superior Drummer (all SDXs and 3 EZXs), Roland DP-2 Pedals

Comment

LOL Who the hell cares about wireless? I mean, really... Is it really a burden to have to hook up a wire to each component? Heaven forbid you go back to acoustics and all those mic cables. LMAO
                            Alan

Comment

Originally posted by Alan @ V Expressions View Post
                              LOL Who the hell cares about wireless? I mean, really... Is it really a burden to have to hook up a wire to each component? Heaven forbid you go back to acoustics and all those mic cables. LMAO
                              Well.....they already make wireless mics.
                              8 Piece Smokey Chrome/Acrylic w/DIY Pans http://quartzpercussions.com/home_en.html 2BoxDrumIt5x2, DIY Acrylic Spl/Ch, Gen16 Hats/Rides/Ch/Spl, Assorted Gen16 Conversion Cymbals http://www.stealthdrums.com/,DW Remote,SleishmanTwin/QuadSteele Conversion, http://www.drumagination.com/drum-pe...com/mk_pro.php Gibraltar & DrumFrame rack systems
                              www.airbrushartists.org/dreamscapeairbrushrealm

Comment

Working...
                              X