Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can anyone recommend a good drum store in Australia?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can anyone recommend a good drum store in Australia?

I'm hoping this is the right forum to post this topic in, I'm looking for a good drum store in Australia. I'm in WA but I don't really care what state they're in if I can order from them online or over the phone, I want somewhere that I can ask questions and be given the correct advice.

I haven't been playing long so I rely on the sales people to help me out a bit. My local Billy Hyde was awesome, the guys were fantastic, but that's gone now. Since then I've had nothing but bad luck, shops not getting back to me even though I'm trying to throw money at them, other stores giving me bad advice, suggesting the wrong products and generally making things difficult.

Having just found out from some helpful people here that I've been given bad (and potentially costly) advice on my last purchase I was hoping someone could recommend somewhere good.
    Kaiju
    Roland TD-15KV module and cymbals, Gen 16 AE rack, Gen 16 AE cymbals, Diamond Electronic Drums, Tama HP300 single pedal, Lectric Moo

What are you looking for in particular? I tend to buy overseas as it often works out more affordable.
    Roland TD-20 (Expanded TDW20) stock standard kit setup + KD7, HPD 15, Alesis Trigger I/O, X2 Mandala pads, DrumKat 3.7, MacBook Pro 2011 i7, 8GB Ram, x2 SSD. RME Babyface

Battery 3, Sonic Coutures Hang drum, ToneHammer Tabla Vol 2 "Multi", BFD2 - Sleishman expansion pack.

Ableton Live

Student of Thomas Lang's drum academy at http://www.artistworksdrumacademy.com/

My band [urlwww.onshiftingsands.com/[/url]

Comment

I'm not really after anything specific at the moment, I'm just looking for a good store that I can go into, or call, and talk to someone when I am looking at buying new stuff, and be happy that I'll get given good advice, and just as importantly, if they don't know for sure will say "I'm not sure, I'll find out for you" rather than giving me the wrong information.
      Kaiju
      Roland TD-15KV module and cymbals, Gen 16 AE rack, Gen 16 AE cymbals, Diamond Electronic Drums, Tama HP300 single pedal, Lectric Moo

Comment

Well, there are still some Billy Hyde stores around. The one in WA may be gone but others are still open (Gallin's Guitars swooped in and acquired them at the last possible moment before they all closed up).

http://www.allansbillyhyde.com.au/

You may be able to call one of the stores in another state (maybe the one in Adelaide as shipping may be cheaper from there?)

Also, a quick google search for music stores in Western Australia provided these results:

Search Results

Kosmic Sound: Online Music Store Australia
        www.kosmic.com.au/
        94 Hector St
        Osborne Park WA
        (08) 9204 7577

Musicians Universe
        www.musiciansuniverse.com.au/
        1240 Albany Hwy
        Cannington WA
        (08) 9358 6665

Concept Music
        www.conceptmusic.com.au/
        244/246 Cambridge St
        Wembley WA
        (08) 9381 2277

Mega Music Online
        www.megamusiconline.com.au/
        95 N Lake Rd
        Myaree WA
        (08) 9330 2777

Theos Musical Instruments
        www.theosmusic.com.au/
        4 Southport St
        West Leederville WA
        (08) 6380 1222

Crescendo Music
        www.crescendomusic.com.au/
        454 Marmion St
        Myaree WA
        (08) 9330 1719

Joondalup Music Centre
        www.joondalupmusic.com.au/
        24 Mercer Ln
        Joondalup WA
        (08) 9300 0033

I can't vouch for how good any of these are as I've had no personal experience with them, but there seems to be no shortage of options for you to look at.

Comment

Originally posted by White_Pointer View Post
          Well, there are still some Billy Hyde stores around. The one in WA may be gone but others are still open (Gallin's Guitars swooped in and acquired them at the last possible moment before they all closed up).
          http://www.allansbillyhyde.com.au/

I can't vouch for how good any of these are as I've had no personal experience with them, but there seems to be no shortage of options for you to look at.
          Yeah, I have actually tried most of those. Some are limited with the brands they stock, some have terrible service, and some are good for guitars but not drums. But thanks anyway. I might have to try an interstate Billy Hyde, although I've heard that some stores weren't that great to deal with. Their WA drum department was fantastic though. I miss that place.
          Kaiju

Comment

If you want good, then in Melbourne, it's Revolver Drums, Drumtek or my fave GH Music (formerly the original Billy Hydes store, now Gary Hyde's - old, old management!).
            Although Gallins bought out Allans Billy Hyde (ABH) I haven't seen anything worthwhile happening in their city store...
            Triggers: Roland TD-30; PD-125s, PD-105s; KD-120, VH-11, CY-15R, CY-14Cs, CY-12C, BT-1, Hart Dynamics Hammer
            Hardware: Gibraltar 9600 Series (SN/HH/Pedal), Short Booms, Tube Clamps, Grabbers, Road Series Chrome Clamps on 2 x MDS-9 Rack Tube sets
            Other: Roland SPD-S, Korg WaveDrum, Superior Drummer (all SDXs and 3 EZXs), Roland DP-2 Pedals

Comment

Big problem here in Sydney to with the lack of good stores. My recommendation would be Guitar Factory / Drum Factory at Parramatta, 02 9635 5552. Ask for Nic.
              I've been following him around from different stores for about 15years. Always gives good advice and good prices.
              TD20 expanded, Stand up kit: Diamond 12x5 snare, 8x5 & 10x5 toms. Other stuff: Diamond 13x5 snare, TD6-KXS, Edirol UA-1000, Cubase 6, Shure E2. Yamaha n12 & Handsonic 10
              New GAS attack: Mac Book Pro. When will it ever stop!!!!

Comment

Can anyone recommend a good drum store in Australia?

I should add that Bellfield Music in Sydney have been superb through their eBay store as well, as have Drummers Dream. Bought more from them online than local stores for a while, as I couldn't easily get Gibraltar when Allans and Billy Hydes merged.
                Last edited by Tazed; 03-25-13, 01:31 AM.
                Triggers: Roland TD-30; PD-125s, PD-105s; KD-120, VH-11, CY-15R, CY-14Cs, CY-12C, BT-1, Hart Dynamics Hammer
                Hardware: Gibraltar 9600 Series (SN/HH/Pedal), Short Booms, Tube Clamps, Grabbers, Road Series Chrome Clamps on 2 x MDS-9 Rack Tube sets
                Other: Roland SPD-S, Korg WaveDrum, Superior Drummer (all SDXs and 3 EZXs), Roland DP-2 Pedals

Comment

Cool, I'll try some of those next time, thanks.

In case anyone in WA is wondering, the only store out of the list of WA search results there that I'd actually recommend is Musicians Universe (in Cannington), and only for guitars. They've been great but that particular store doesn't have any drums that I can remember seeing. I haven't shopped at a couple of them though because they don't all stock Roland or Zildjian, so I can't say they're all bad, just not able to help me.
                  Kaiju

Comment

Working...
                  X