Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

My cover of Sade - Paradise Instrumental with ( Studio Drummer )

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My cover of Sade - Paradise Instrumental with ( Studio Drummer )

Here is a cover I did of Paradise by Sade,

Keyboards are Korg M50, Drums are played on my Roland TD-12 triggering Studio Drummer VST software ( Stadium Kit ). Bass was played on the keyboard triggering Scarbee Prebass VST software.

Guitar was played by a friend of mine, He used a Fender Strat through a Marshall JCM 2000 and 1969a Cab

Everything was recorded and mixed with Reaper by me.

Thanks for listening !

Rick

Last edited by yzf125; 04-06-12, 12:42 PM.

Ludwig A to E - TD-12 Module - VH-11 - FD-8 - 2 PD-8's - CY5 - 2 CY12R - PCY155 - Pearl Eliminator bass pedal - ATH M50 - 2 JBL EON 515XT - Mackie PROFX12 - Yamaha MX49

Abbey Road 60's 70's 80's -
    Studio Drummer - Addictive Drums - Steven Slate 4 Platinum
    Dell XPS 8700 - 4th Gen i7 4770 - 16 GB Memory 1TB Hard Drive 7200 RPM - Komplete Audio 6 - Reaper - Cubase Ai 6 DAW

Originally posted by yzf125 View Post
    Here is a cover I did of Paradise by Sade,

Keyboards are Korg M50, Drums are played on my Roland TD-12 triggering Studio Drummer VST software ( Stadium Kit ). Bass was played on the keyboard triggering Scarbee Prebass VST software.

Guitar was played by a friend of mine, He used a Fender Strat through a Marshall JCM 2000 and 1969a Cab

Everything was recorded and mixed with Reaper by me.

Thanks for listening !

Rick

Very nice! Drums were excellent and mix was good. Personally, I would have backed off on the "wood block" throughout, and the guitar could have used a little less reverb and a little more crunch (I think that would have made it sound a little less muzaky), but overall, really good, and better than anything I could have done.
    Thanks!
    Yamaha DTX550 + PCY135 Cymbal, Gibraltar 6611 DB Pedal, Roc 'n Sock Throne
    Tama Starclassic Smokey Indigo Burst Acoustic kit.
    Simmons DA200S Amp
    Toca Premier Quinto & Conga

Comment

Hey thanks for the comments !

Yeah, I thought is was a little much verb on the guitar also but my guitar player wanted it that way, I put up another version with less verb, well I could only remove the plugin verb and he recorded with some verb on his amp so I couldnt get it all dry. It does sit better in the song with less verb I think. P.S. ( The wood block you refer to is actually a Hi Bongo )
      Try this version :
      ( I couldnt EDIT the original video so I put up another one, This forum wont let me for some reason ? )

Ludwig A to E - TD-12 Module - VH-11 - FD-8 - 2 PD-8's - CY5 - 2 CY12R - PCY155 - Pearl Eliminator bass pedal - ATH M50 - 2 JBL EON 515XT - Mackie PROFX12 - Yamaha MX49

Dell XPS 8700 - 4th Gen i7 4770 - 16 GB Memory 1TB Hard Drive 7200 RPM - Komplete Audio 6 - Reaper - Cubase Ai 6 DAW

Comment

Great job. Without vocals I think that second version version is a bit stronger.
        In the original Sade mix the guitar is a bit "back" in the mix so I would be curious which of your versions would sound better if you a vocal on the mix.
        Hardware: TD20SX --> Roland UA-25EX --> MSI GT780DX w/ i7 2670, 16-GB of Ram, Windows 7
        Software: Superior Drummer 2.0, Metal Foundry SDX, Metal Machine EZX, Toontrack Solo - - Sonor X1 Studio - -

Comment

Thanks !

Yeah, If there were vocals we wouldnt have done it this way, The guitar was the vocals in this case is why it was more out front, There is actually a lot of guitar work going on in the original version that you dont pick up on unless you listen very close that we left out,

My guitar player chose to add his own touch making it his own and keep it simple, I also didnt want to add all the extra guitar parts to it in fear of "to much guitar" going on at once, It breaths a bit better with less, since the vocal is the Guitar also.

Thanks for the replies !!!

Rick

Comment

Nice job. On my monitors the snare room is night quite upfront enough. Have you tried a multiband compressor like a waves L2 or another clean compressor on the room mics? The guitar jumps out just a bit too much on my speakers. Parallel compression is good sometimes where you copy the track and compress it heavily. Then blend it in with the original.
            Peter

Comment

Thanks, I dont have a lot of experience with recording. I just know the basics, I may try your suggestion with the compression, sounds like a good idea, I really dont know how to use compression to well though.

Rick

Comment

Check tutorials from sound on sound magazine. There is a great audio engineering show on youtube called "Pensados Place" . Try a dvd on mixing called "mix it like a record" by Charles Dye.
                Peter

Comment

I like it!

man, if you guys could reproduce all these covers you do live, you could really make some bank!

I know of a local band, who really took the time to nail old 80's songs, etc using the right tones, instruments (when possible) etc...and they just really practiced their butts off. After some local podunk recognition, they were asked to play at some "high-end mucky-muck" party in L.A. - due to the fact that their sound was so close to the original recordings.
                  Apparently now, they are the go-to band for those type of parties...and they make some serious coin!!
                  DTXtreme, DTXtreme IIs, DTX M12, Yamaha SY-77, Moog Opus, Roland XP-30 Roland SPD-8, SPD-11, SPD-30 / ACID Pro 7 / Sound Forge / Cubase S5 / Cakewalk LT / Fender Squier w F/X Pedal

Comment

Thats what I would love to do but trying to find guys that think the same way as I do is near impossible around here

So Im stuck making my own for now till that day comes..... I have a Journey and Motels song in the works some time in the next few months ( I Hope ) if my guitar player ever gets off his but to record them LOL

Comment

Great Job! That's extremely impressive. You're very talented.

Comment

Working...
                      X