X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stiff wrist

By analyzing some technique problems, I realized my right wrist is much stiffer than my left.
    Maybe due to an accident I had when I was young and probably also because I'm a lefty.

Any tips or exercises to help?
    E kit: TD-9KX with Diamond Electronic Drums 13" snare, VH-11 and v-cowbell
    A kit 2009: Tama Superstar Custom Rock Satin Cherry Burst and Masterwork Custom cymbals
    A kit 2010: Gretsch Catalina Ash Cherry Red and Masterwork Iris cymbals
    Some keyboards and a couple of guitars...and not enough time to play them...
    pictures...videos...collaboration videos

Well my left is stiffer than my right, this is normal, I am right handed (as you are left). Not to do with the accident I suspect, but just natural strength difference.
    I am sure there are some flexion excersises that will help, general wrist rotation things etc, lots of right hand double strokes, and maybe some wrists curls with a light dumbell to increase strength.
    Personally, I have found practicing doubles to be the most useful.
    I have sold every last bit of my E KIt, even cables! Odery Eyedentity LA Rock sizes in Mappa Burl, Paiste Alpha Boomers, 14 Hats, 16 and 18 Crashes, 22 ride (it's a beast!) Mapex Hardware, Axis Double Pedal

Comment

check this out eric: Drummers health dot com
      ....and exercises for drummers

i get stiff wrists when i haven't played for a while, or when i realise i've been tense and not relaxed enough..
      E-kit: TD-9KX, VH-11, SPD-S, SPD-30, VEX
      A-kits: Gretsch Catalina, Whitney nesting drums, 50s Vintage Premier Jazz, Gretsch 10" Snare, various Zildjian As, 2x1950s Avedis Zildjian 18" Crash/Rides

Videos

The Dust Revival Band

Spinifex Rose

Kristy Lewis and the Wretched

Wayfaring Strangers

Comment

Great links Ross. One dispute, "never throw sicks into a crowd"...

What a completely ridiculous and un-metal thing to say!
        I have sold every last bit of my E KIt, even cables! Odery Eyedentity LA Rock sizes in Mappa Burl, Paiste Alpha Boomers, 14 Hats, 16 and 18 Crashes, 22 ride (it's a beast!) Mapex Hardware, Axis Double Pedal

Comment

Originally posted by KevH View Post
          Great links Ross. One dispute, "never throw sicks into a crowd"...

What a completely ridiculous and un-metal thing to say!
          i reckon - what would she say about throwing cymbals into the crowd, a la GG Allin???
          Last edited by tisgnitch; 03-11-12, 05:33 AM. Reason: clarity
          A-kits: Gretsch Catalina, Whitney nesting drums, 50s Vintage Premier Jazz, Gretsch 10" Snare, various Zildjian As, 2x1950s Avedis Zildjian 18" Crash/Rides

Videos

The Dust Revival Band

Spinifex Rose

Wayfaring Strangers

Comment

I also have the same problem on my left wrist
            I will ask my physicotherapist for some exercises and let u know
            Ex E-kits:
            ''Lernean Hydra'' ( a bounche of roland pads with a td-6 module)
            ''Lucy'' (Diamond electronic drums with a td-12 module)
            current E-kit
            ''Cherry Gretschy Lady'' (Gretsch Catalina Ash 6 piece A to E kit-Roland td20 module-A to E cymbals)

A-kit
            " Mrs.Catalina'' (Gretsch Catalina maple 6 piece kit-Paiste signature+Masterwork custom made cymbals)

check out a few videos http://www.youtube.com/user/hampisdrums

Comment

hampis, she might help you with your stiff wrist - she's studying physiotherapy!

sorry eric.....it seemed appropriate.

Videos

The Dust Revival Band

Spinifex Rose

Wayfaring Strangers

Comment

Thanks for the links, I'll check them out.

I found some more exercises on another forum: http://www.framedrums.net/exercises-...carpal-tunnel/

I realize I may always have less control over my weak right hand than the other but I want to improve it.
                I need it for faster and tricky hihat and ride patterns.
                A kit 2009: Tama Superstar Custom Rock Satin Cherry Burst and Masterwork Custom cymbals

Comment

Originally posted by tisgnitch View Post
                  sorry eric.....it seemed appropriate.
                  Are you sure it will help his body to, uh, loosen up ?

Comment

Originally posted by eric_B View Post
                    Are you sure it will help his body to, uh, loosen up ?
                    after a few minutes, yes.

Videos

The Dust Revival Band

Spinifex Rose

Wayfaring Strangers

Comment

Ok i asked my physiotherapist , that tattoo is a butterfly !
                      Ex E-kits:
                      ''Lernean Hydra'' ( a bounche of roland pads with a td-6 module)
                      ''Lucy'' (Diamond electronic drums with a td-12 module)
                      current E-kit
                      ''Cherry Gretschy Lady'' (Gretsch Catalina Ash 6 piece A to E kit-Roland td20 module-A to E cymbals)

A-kit
                      " Mrs.Catalina'' (Gretsch Catalina maple 6 piece kit-Paiste signature+Masterwork custom made cymbals)

check out a few videos http://www.youtube.com/user/hampisdrums

Comment

Originally posted by eric_B View Post
                        By analyzing some technique problems, I realized my right wrist is much stiffer than my left.
                        Maybe due to an accident I had when I was young and probably also because I'm a lefty.

Any tips or exercises to help?
                        I have arthritis at a relatively young age and stiffen up bad sometimes, PAIN, and found playing with wrist braces has helped immensely FYI
                        And though not big on "drum toys" due to my condition I also use Gig Grips at times and they help as well. (A La Phil Collins)
                        Also stick grip tape to some extent helps me have a looser grip which helps overall.
                        Lighter sticks too: I use only 7A's now.
                        E-Drums also saved my drum career as i use high sensitivity and louder volume setting to let the drums do the work instead of me "young days" when I banged away hard and fast-(not a sex joke- ), and now let the E-Drums do the hard work.
                        Bless the E-Drum evolution for "disabled" (figuratively speaking), drummers like me.
                        TD-9 Ver 2 + TMC-6; PD-105BK; PD-85BK x 3; KD-9; CY-13R x 1; CY-12C x 2; Kit Toy Crash 12" x 1 w/ Choke; Kit Toy China 15" x 1; Kit Toy Splashes 10" x 2 w/ Chokes; CY-5/FD-7; Pintech Dingbat used as Cow-Bell; TDA-700 & Simmons DA200S; Pearl 902 Double Pedal

Comment

Working...
                        X