Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Some Popular Songs in 6/8 Time (making a list)

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some Popular Songs in 6/8 Time (making a list)

This isn't really technique so much as theory, I'd say, but anyway, it might fit in here as it is more related to playing and listening (as opposed to products). Anyway...

I've started encountering 6/8 time in surprising places. For example, I was teaching some kids the children's song "Pat-a Cake, Pat-a-Cake, Baker's Man" this afternoon [from a children's song book] and saw it was in 6/8 time!

When I got home, I made this little list that hopefully other people (that means you ) can add to:

Songs in 6/8 Time

Old Friends – [Simon& Garfunkel]

We Are the Champions - [Queen]

Lights - [Journey]

(How Can You Mend) A Broken Heart - [Bee Gees, Al Green]

Norwegian Wood (This Bird Has Flown) – [The Beatles]

Children's Songs:

Pat-a-Cake

London Bridges

Row, Row, Row Your Boat

Rock-a-Bye Baby

Hickory ****ory Dock

This Is The Way We (Wash Our Face)
    [aka “The Wheels On The Bus”]

I'm not "100% beyond the shadow of any possible doubt" positive on all of these, but I've either seen them notated as 6/8 or they count out as 6/8 to me. Also, I realise that there can be more than one way of notating the same piece, but I'm not really looking to get into esoteric arguments or anything. Basically, all I know is 4/4, a bit of 3/4, a bit of 6/8, some hazy memories 2/4 from way back when I was in elementary school band(!), and some experiments on my own with 5/4.

Anyway, 6/8 has kind of caught my attention lately, as I play almost entirely in 4/4, but I'm seeing that 6/8 is more useful and more widespread than I had imagined.

Please comment on your experiences with 6/8, as well as add any popular songs (even kid's songs) to my list. Also, if you feel I improperly included a song, you might mention that (and why).

[edit: I removed '59th Street Bridge Song' and 'Crazy Little Thing Called Love'. After reading comments below, I re-listened and counted and have decided I was previously insane when I figured them as 6/8. Also, I added some more children's songs]
    Last edited by dmt; 03-28-09, 03:02 AM.

Don't forget "rock-a-bye baby".
    One of the main reasons so many classic children's songs are in 3/4 or 6/8 is that they were written at a time when the waltz was king.

There was a thread almost a year ago discussing the Logical Song, by Supertramp. It jumps back and forth between 4/4 and 6/8.
    Thread is here:
    http://vdrums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=39409
    Last edited by Colquhoun; 03-26-09, 02:46 PM.
    My current setup:
    TD-9SX, with a KD-120, extra CY-8, PM-30 monitor, and a 1971 Rickenbacker 4001 kit photo 1 | kit photo 2 | kit photo 3

Protect your hearing. Tinnitus is real.

Comment

Red Hot Chili Peppers Breaking the girl - I also can't confirm but definitely feels that way.

-Simon and Garfunkel are popular??? -just kicking you in the shins for no good reason.

E
      www.mypvshop.com - your source for electronic cigs. Use coupon code "smokeless1" for 10% off every order!!!

Comment

There's seven pages of 6/8 songs here, and although Queen get 11 entries, Crazy Little Thing Called Love is not one of them: Songs not in 4/4 Time.

Bruce
        • Roland TD-20+TDW-20, TD-8, SPD-S, PD-105, PD-6/8, CY-5/6/8/12, FD-6/8, KD-7/8, RT-10K, PM-30, DB-90
        • Hart Acupad, Hart Hammer, Pintech Dingbat, Sony MDR-7505, Shure E2, 512. Pacific CX, Zildjian A Customs.

Comment

Maybe I can't count, but I thought:

- Crazy Little Thing Called Love is in 4/4 with a 2/4 feel

- We are the Champions is 12/8

- (How Can You Mend) A Broken Heart also 12/8

To be 6/8 it would have to be like a double tempo waltz - try some Strauss (Blue Danube etc) - it was popular once upon a time.....

Comment

i beleive we are the champions is in 6/8... its been a while sence i heard the song but the kick is on 1 and 3 and the snare in on 4 or it may be, kick 1 ,3 and 6 and snare on 4? any how, i count 6 1/8th notes per measure on the hats.
            correct me if i'm wrong.
            sigpicRoland TD 30 module, TDW 20 BK, VH13 hi-hats, custom Gibraltar rack, V expressions, Iron cobra power glide double pedal, Cobra clutch, Iron cobra lever glide hi hat, Kit-toys, KC 500, BBE 482, Roc-N-Soc nitro. , Promark, pearl throne thumper.
            Red DIY church - road kit with red sessions rack, vh12 hi hats, yamaha and kit-toys cymbals, DW T5000 hi hat, BBE 262,
            butt kicker

Comment

59th Street Bridge Song is 4/4.

Bruce
              • Roland TD-20+TDW-20, TD-8, SPD-S, PD-105, PD-6/8, CY-5/6/8/12, FD-6/8, KD-7/8, RT-10K, PM-30, DB-90
              • Hart Acupad, Hart Hammer, Pintech Dingbat, Sony MDR-7505, Shure E2, 512. Pacific CX, Zildjian A Customs.

Comment

Don't forget "Nothing Else Matters" by the ex-mighty Metallica. I think technically it's 12/8 but I believe the intro is in 6/8 so that's good enough for me
                "Today young men on acid realised that all matter is purely energy condensed to a slow vibration; That we are all of one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively; There's no such thing as death, life is only a dream and we're the imagination of ourselves.. Here's Tom with the weather"...

TD-20 + TMC-6 + VF-1 + Gen16's = Not enough inputs.
                Watch me - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLqt6zaAYkY

Comment

Hmmm. I may have gotten some wrong, it seems. I'll have to do some more research, as well as get a better feel for what is and isn't 6/8 before I can comment much more.

Colquhoun
                  , that's a great one, with "Rock-A-Bye Baby", thanks.

Two more 6/8 children's songs I saw in my student's book today:

Hickory ****ory Dock

This Is The Way We (Wash Our Face)

Last edited by dmt; 03-28-09, 03:01 AM.

Comment

Okay, I removed '59th Street Bridge Song' and 'Crazy Little Thing Called Love'.

I think you guys were right on those. Thanks for the input!

Comment

Here'a another I hear as 6/8

Morning Has Broken (Like the first Morning) - [Cat Stevens]

It could possibly be 3/4, but the more extended feel of 6/8 fits it better, I'm thinking. What do you think (about the time signature)?

Comment

3/4: "Morning has Broken / Bunessan" - Gaelic Hymn; free sheet music

(Found at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morning_Has_Broken)

Bruce

Comment

Love To Love by UFO

At least, most of it is 6/8.

Comment

Okay, from BarT's link, my own explorations, and most of all, simply the one's that catch my personal interest, here's a list of songs that [might well be in] 6/8 and that I like:

Songs in 6/8 Time

Old Friends – [Simon& Garfunkel]

We Are the Champions - [Queen]

Lights - [Journey]

(How Can You Mend) A Broken Heart - [Bee Gees, Al Green]

Norwegian Wood (This Bird Has Flown) – [The Beatles]

House of the Rising Sun – The Animals

Rainy Day Women #12 and #35 - Bob Dylan

Oh Darlin' - The Beatles

In the Still of the Night - The Five Satins

To Know Him Is To Love Him -- Dolly Parton, Linda Ronstadt, and Emmylou Harris

When a Man Loves a Woman - Percy Sledge

Because - The Beatles

I Guess That's Why They Call It The Blues - Elton John

Somebody To Love - Queen

The Great Pretender – The Platters, Freddie Mercury

Hey Paula -- Paul & Paula

Stand By Your Man - Tammy Wynette

Call Me -- Blondie

Take This Job and Shove It - Johnny Paycheck

Blue Christmas -- Elvis Presley

Tonight's the Night (Gonna Be Alright) – Rod Stewart

Hold On -- Yes

Unforgettable - Nat King Cole & Natalie Cole

Lovin', Touchin', Squeezin' - Journey

Ave Maria - Traditional

I Want You (She's So Heavy) – partial [The Beatles]

Still Got the Blues for You – Gary Moore

Children’s Songs

Pat-a-Cake

London Bridges

Row, Row, Row Your Boat

Hickory ****ory Dock

This the Way We (Wash Our Face)

Rock-a-Bye Baby

Comment

Mmm... I think what you're describing is more "triplet feel". If you were to find the notation for some of these you may be puzzled to see them written with a signature of 4/4. It could be just the drum part that has triplets on the hi-hat, for example, and the tempo will determine if it's 3/4, 6/8 or 12/8 from the drummer's perspective i.e. you're playing three 8th notes on the hi-hat (or skipping the middle one in a shuffle) in the time you'd normally play two 8th notes in 4/4.

Anyway, I've found a lot of Stevie Wonder songs have this feel (e.g. Isn't She Lovely), and the Tears For Fears song Everybody Want To Rule The World - you can hear the
                              1-and-a-tik-it-a
                              2-and-a-tik-it-a
                              3-and-a-tik-it-a
                              4-and-a-tik-it-a
                              like 6/8ths

whereas Gary Moore's Still Got The Blues is a much slower
                              1-and-a
                              2-and-a
                              3-and-a
                              4-and-a
                              like 12/8ths
                              Last edited by ramondo; 04-07-09, 09:54 PM. Reason: added counts to example
                              Still miss you baby, but my aim's gettin' better...

Comment

Working...
                              X