Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

About to trade my beloved Sonor designer maple light for an e kit need help please

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• About to trade my beloved Sonor designer maple light for an e kit need help please

Hey guys, glad I found this board. I am reluctantly selling or trading one of the best kits I have ever owned due to an impending move this summer. My budget is around 2500 but I am willing to listen to suggestions regarding pricier kits. As of now I have been looking into some Yamaha dtx kits. Ultimately I want to use a program like superior drummer and I have a new, as of last christmas mac mini with 8gb of ram and whatever the fastest processor was at the time (forget if its a quad core). The sound quality and dynamics seem to blow the modules out of the water from what I have seen on youtube. The kits I have prices on are a b stock dtx790k for 2599 shipped a b stock 900k for 3500 shipped and either the new (slimmed down version) of the td30 or a new dtx900k for 3800 shipped. I also have the opportunity to trade my SONORs for a lightly used dtx790k. I really don't know what to do. Is my computer up to the task of running superior drummer and what kind of interface should I use? Also what kit gives me the most performance within my budget? I am not jumping for joy at the idea of getting rid of my SONOR for an e kit and would really love to hear what you all think. I am open to all suggestions and appreciate all the help. Thanks in advance.

It depends on your goal for a kit. For me 14 years ago I bought a TD-10 V-Pro setup because it was going to be used in a studio. Also it was much cheaper than a good acoustic kit, cymbals and all the microphones needed to record.
    TD-10 TDW1 V-Pro, KD-120 DW5000 double pedal, CY-12H, CY-12R/C, CY-15R, Aux PD-6, PD-8

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorJ View Post
      It depends on your goal for a kit. For me 14 years ago I bought a TD-10 V-Pro setup because it was going to be used in a studio. Also it was much cheaper than a good acoustic kit, cymbals and all the microphones needed to record.
      Well this will be my stay at home kit. No intention of gigging it but I would like to have the option to record with it to save myself the hour and a half drive to our studio every now and then. I am an acoustic purist at heart. I have yet to play an e kit that had me feeling like I could give up the acoustic kit. However some of the videos I have seen with players triggering their kits with software like sd2 give me some hope. I need an ekit that is going to allow me to use a program like sd2 effectively for practice and recording into logic and feel good with as realistic as possible dynamics. My designer kit is currently the house kit in our studio and it sounds amazing and is very easy to work with. In the next month or two my sq2 will be replacing it. Initially the idea was to leave the designer in the studio and have the sq2 at home for practice and sessions here at home. Now that I have to move, the ability to play the drums at all hours will not exist. I need to be able to play late into the night as I have been for the last 15 yrs. This is where the ekit comes in. So I would like a kit that will work with my computer and a good vst with the intention of recording and silent rehearsing.

Comment

Don't get rid of your Sonor kit. Fit it with mesh heads, one of the numerous trigger options (see digitalDrummer for reviews on external triggers, drop-in kits, etc), add a module and you'll have the best of both worlds.
        Beater-tester. digitalDrummer
        Review index

Comment

Originally posted by allanjohn View Post
          Don't get rid of your Sonor kit. Fit it with mesh heads, one of the numerous trigger options (see digitalDrummer for reviews on external triggers, drop-in kits, etc), add a module and you'll have the best of both worlds.
          Yes I agree. Get a used TD12 module and a bunch of yamaha PCY cymbals, take a look at the german triggers at handelsbu.de

I initially had problems with those triggers because I had a TD8 at the time but they work flawlessly with the TD12/20.

Soundcard wise, just go with anything from RME.

Comment

I really wish I could afford to do that but I would be funding the e kit with the sale of my designers.

@zappa. Do I need to get an additional sound card if I were to be using an interface with a midi in? I am really green in regards to this platform and just wanted to clarify that I would need an interface and a soundcard? My computer is a mac mini with 8gb ram and a intel 2.7ghz dual core processor. My guitar player has an endorsement with focusrite so if there exists an interface that can do what I need it do made by focusrite that would be optimal. Thanks for all the feedback guys.

Comment

Your Mini will be fine. I remember reading a few posts from people running a VST with the Mini without a hitch...

I have to second (or third!) the idea of not getting rid of your beloved kit. A little cheaper alternatives for triggers are the Quartz harnesses. Very simple, no screws besides taking off the head and putting a mesh head instead.

Get a cheaper module (since you will be triggering Superior anyway) and save some money there. You can always sell it back later to upgrade if you feel the need. Sell something else to afford the 200$ to 300$ module and 25$/each for harnesses (that falls in the price differential you were looking at in your initial post between selling your Sonor and spending for a TD-30). Look for second hand cymbals and you will get to keep your Sonor!
              A2E DIY Dixon kit. FSR HiHats. DTX700 + eDrum Modules. Yamaha + XM Cymbals. VSTs: AD, SD, DrumMic'a
              Kit Pix

Website builder in my spare time, here's my latest work:
              www.hualienoutdoors.org
              cotfcanada.org
              aacycleproducts.com/

Comment

Originally posted by perceval View Post
                A little cheaper alternatives for triggers are the Quartz harnesses. Very simple, no screws besides taking off the head and putting a mesh head instead.
                That's among the solutions we tested. I think you will find some reasonably priced options that should allow you to keep your current kit and avoid the later regrets!~
                Beater-tester. digitalDrummer
                Review index

Comment

Thanks everybody for all the help. My Designer kit sold so now I have to decide what to do. I had my kit on a long auction with a buy it now and to my surprise it sold rather quickly. It was a great kit but it won't be the last great kit I ever own. Let me reiterate that I still have an acoustic kit so if I go with an e kit I won't be without an acoustic. With a budget of 2600-3000 what is the best available option? Realism is key in both response and sound. I haven't seriously sat behind any top tier e kits since the old td10 so my knowledge is very limited. Thanks again. I didn't expect my kit to sell so fast so unfortunately all of the suggestions regarding using mesh heads etc are no longer an option.

Comment

I personally would get a 2Box or one of the new Mark Drum kits. Those two companies have the right idea about putting VST type samples in a module. However, I like to tweak, have owned everything under the sun and I am very aware of the strengths and limitations of those kits. Not knowing what you know, and based on your criteria, I would recommend the Yamaha DTX 790K. The module sounds are very good, the pads are awesome and it integrates flawlessly with computer hosted VSTs via MIDI over USB. You might be able to find a used 950K in this price range. I wouldn't hesitate to get a used Roland TD-12 or TD-20 setup. They are very expressive and integrate well with VSTs. My hunch is that anything less than the kits I have mentioned would disappoint you. You have a very realistic price point for a quality set. Most times people come on the boards wanting a great sounding electronic kit for under a grand. Everything I mentioned can be had for the budget you laid out. They all have internal sounds that you could confidently play live with. Some have internal sounds you could comfortably record with. All will integrate well with VSTs.

Comment

Too bad you don't have more budget - I think if you test drove the new TD30 you wouldn't even realize it was an e-kit!

Question: why are you so opposed to doing some small conversions to you acoustics to make it a hybrid kit? Will save you dough in the long run.
                      TD30KV, KC-550, SPD-S, Tama Iron Cobra double peddle, Jamhub Greenroom, IWdrums lites, TD-10TDW-1, Vex:Classic XP, System 1, Expressions, Master 50, The Vault, Stealth AtoE 16" Ride, 2 14" Crash, 8" Splash, 10" HH Cymbals, SPD-30 Octopad, RMP-5 Rhythm Coach, TD-10 (brain only)

Comment

Thanks Jovato for the suggestions. Of the kits you mentioned which has the biggest upside for recording? Live use isn't important.

@dyke, I wasn't opposed, the kit sold before I had the opportunity to look closer into that idea.
                        Last edited by jkuhl; 04-13-12, 03:11 PM.

Comment

If you are talking about recording onboard sounds, then the 2box wins hands down. It has the most realistic onboard drum sounds. It also allows you to upload your own samples (which you can modify from existing sample libraries if you are proficient). I love what I read and hear about the Mark Drum, but few on the planet have played one in person yet. It looks like a very complete system though. The Yamaha DTXtreme III and DTX900 modules (basically same thing after a firmware update), also allow you to load and layer your own samples. Yamaha provides some kits from Ocean Way etc. free for downloading.

If you are talking about triggering sample libraries, then they will all get the job done. The Yamaha modules with USB midi, arguably have a slight advantage here. Honestly, the most cost effective, best triggering setup for VSTs would be to find a used Yamaha DTXtreme III. These can be found rather cheap, and many people still don't know that you can update the module to a DTX900 with a free firmware download. The trigger response with VSTs is excellent, and if you like the feel of the rubber pads (I never minded them) you are done. You can always update the pads to the new silicone ones (excellent pads but expensive) as you see fit. The Roland kits are very expressive, feel quite good and are great for triggering VSTs as well. However, they are expensive if your intent is to record with VSTs. I don't consider the Roland onboard sounds a serious option for recording scenarios where natural sounding drums are required. Do your due diligence. I have played and owned everything but the new TD-30 or DTX700 kits. They are all great kits that excel in certain areas. I play a Trapkat now, so I firmly believe in getting a device that fits your needs best. There really is no one trick pony yet.

Comment

Jovato again thanks for the detailed responses. I really appreciate it. What I think I have decided for now is to get another acoustic kit (found a great deal on another Sonor) and deal with the e kit when and if we move. There still exists a chance that we will stay in our current home and I would regret getting an e kit if I didn't need to do so. Also it seems that the longer one waits for a e kit the better the pricing is.

Comment

Obviously there are no compromises in realism with an acoustic, and you can get a stellar kit for the money you are talking about. There is certainly no harm in waiting to see what comes to market in the e-world. You want to be really sure of your specific needs before you put a lot of coin on an e-kit. What kind of A-kit are you looking for? I have a stellar set of Gretsch New Classics with Sabian cymbals that I will make a sweet deal on to a forum member. PM me if you would like to talk further.

Comment

Working...
                              X