X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recording into GarageBand on iPhone 4

I know this can be done via iPad just wanting to make sure it can be done via iPhone before I buy the app and stuff.

What I'm wanting to do is record my Roland TD4's into GarageBand. From what Ive seen with vidoes of the iPad setup, I'd need a 30 pin to USB adaptor and then a MIDI to USB adaptor. Will this setup also work with iPhone 4?

I've also seen that there is a iRig accessory that straight from 30pin to MIDI. But it's much more expensive.

Will both these setups work with the iPhone or is one better then the other? Or is my best bet to buy a laptop?

Thanks in Advance,
    Jeffrey
    My Kits:
    Roland TD-4KX: Updated rack & added a PDX-100 (to eliminate a PDX-6)
    Pearl Sessions Custom (Marine Blue Fade) with Sabian Cymbals

Are you trying to record Midi or the sounds of your td4? You are not specific.
    Remember, MIDI has no audio content, so connecting the midi out of the td4 to the iphone will only result in MIDI being recorded...sorry if you know this, but many dont, so I thought to mention it.
    TD9+6v module, KD-8, custom Diamond Electronic 12" snare + 2x8" + 2x10" toms, PD-85, 4xPD8, 2xCY8, CY-5, CY-12r/c, Pearl P902 double pedals, Diamond Electronic COWBELL!
    HPD-10 ATH-50M phones and 4 Vex Packs for the TD-9

Gibson Les Paul. + pod xtl, Norman acoustic, Fender J-Bass + gt10b

Clavia Nord Stage 2 Synth/Stage Piano Samson SR850 'phones

cubase, garritan personal orchestra, JABB, symphonic choirs, Sibelius, reason 6.5, IPAD 2 with lots of soft synths...

three shelter cats

Comment

I have the Camera connection (30-pin to USB) add-on, then my USB to MIDI M-Audio UNO to my drum module.

So I can play the drum kit in GarageBand on the iPad. You'll have to tweak some notes from your module to match the ones in GarageBand as they are no learning function. Layering and velocities are quite limited, nothing like a full fledge VST, of course.

I do not have an iPhone 4 so I can't help you there, but it probably works just the same as on the iPad.
      A2E DIY Dixon kit. FSR HiHats. DTX700 + eDrum Modules. Yamaha + XM Cymbals. VSTs: AD, SD, DrumMic'a
      Kit Pix

Website builder in my spare time, here's my latest work:
      www.hualienoutdoors.org
      cotfcanada.org
      aacycleproducts.com/

Comment

Originally posted by saku View Post
        Are you trying to record Midi or the sounds of your td4? You are not specific.
        Remember, MIDI has no audio content, so connecting the midi out of the td4 to the iphone will only result in MIDI being recorded...sorry if you know this, but many dont, so I thought to mention it.
        Honestly, I don't know. LOL I just know the TD4 has a MIDI out and from what I can tell if I buy the adapters that will record into the GarageBand. I'm under the assumption that it the output file from GarageBand will sound like the drums that are setup in GarageBand and not my actual TD 4 set and how I have it setup. And that I'm fine with. Not looking so much for the Sounds of the drums, more looking to be able to record what I'm playing.

Originally posted by perceval View Post
        I have the Camera connection (30-pin to USB) add-on, then my USB to MIDI M-Audio UNO to my drum module.

So I can play the drum kit in GarageBand on the iPad. You'll have to tweak some notes from your module to match the ones in GarageBand as they are no learning function. Layering and velocities are quite limited, nothing like a full fledge VST, of course.

I do not have an iPhone 4 so I can't help you there, but it probably works just the same as on the iPad.
        OK thanks. Think I may just give it a shot. Seems to be the cheapest solution so far.
        My Kits:
        Roland TD-4KX: Updated rack & added a PDX-100 (to eliminate a PDX-6)
        Pearl Sessions Custom (Marine Blue Fade) with Sabian Cymbals

Comment

Jeffery,
          We're you ever able to record in your iPhone 4?
          I want to do the same thing...thanks!

Ken

Comment

Your input options are the iRig, Line 6 MIDI Mobilizer II or one of the other MIDI/iOS adaptor or, as mentioned, the camera connect with a MIDI/USB interface.
            Note, however, that if you're using the iOS version of Garage Band, you will have mapping issues with your TD-4. I am currently reviewing iPad/iPhone hardware and apps for e-drumming and have found that you'll need a third-party MIDI mapping app.
            Beater-tester. digitalDrummer
            Review index

Comment

Working...
            X