X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking at movin' up

Have a TD -3 setup --- the sounds are OK for me -- just want more dynamics on the pads /cymbals. Will a jump to TD-8 increase much expression/sensitivity from a pad ?? Or does one have to move up to say a TD9 and a newer mesh pad? i.e. great crescendo crashes, etc ............ So much work now on the original TD3 cymbals -- I have to hit two cymbals > at variable intervals , to build a closing crash.

Looking for under $900 used .....Less expensive to move to Yamaha ?? The quieter, the better ...thanks
    Last edited by CJOGO; 03-31-12, 11:00 PM.

The 8 has less appealing sounds from what I understand as it is an older series module than the 3. If you are moving on...you might as well move up instead of moving backwards....even if it means saving a bit longer. I would look to 12 or 9 before I decided anything. Even the newer 11/15 are reasonably priced.
    8 piece DIY Acrylic http://www.quartzpercussions.com/, 2x2Box DrumIt5, Gen16 4xDCP, Acrylic&Gen16 Conversions http://stealthdrums.com/Home_Page.html, Sleishman Twin-QuadSteele hybrid http://drumagination.com/ , Gibraltar&DrumFrame rack, DW9502LB, Midi Knights Pro Lighting http://jeredsystems.com/index.php
    http://www.airbrushartists.org/DreamscapeAirbrushRealm

Comment

thanks -- will look at the 9 -- 12 is too big to carry around --
      Last edited by CJOGO; 03-31-12, 11:29 PM.

Comment

The post changed midway when I tried to quote it.
        Anyways, the Yamaha PCY130/150 will work with Roland modules. Mono-zone and dual-zone triggers will work as intended; 3-zone triggers (like the PCY150S, PCY130SC, PCY135/155) will work as dual-zone triggers, or you can modify the circuit to make them work with Roland-style 3-zone triggering.
        TD-9 module, MDS-4 rack, PD-100 modded 2-zone snare, PD-80R + PD-80 modded + PDX-8 toms, VH-11 hi-hat, Yamaha PCY135 crash x 2, PCY135 modded 3-zone ride, KD-8 bass

Comment

Great info --- looking @ the TD-4 vs TD-9 now ... then a PD 120 for the snare --

Comment

Will the TD9 w/CY 13r allow a credible crescendo with a crash --- at least a considerable improvement over the TD-3 and the original cymbals ??

Comment

both the td4 and 9 have better dynamics than the td3...but possibly not a credible crescendo...you really need interval control for that, on the td12 and up. Depending on how strict you are, it might be alright, but I am hesitant to say yes.
              TD9+6v module, KD-8, custom Diamond Electronic 12" snare + 2x8" + 2x10" toms, PD-85, 4xPD8, 2xCY8, CY-5, CY-12r/c, Pearl P902 double pedals, Diamond Electronic COWBELL!
              HPD-10 ATH-50M phones and 4 Vex Packs for the TD-9

Gibson Les Paul. + pod xtl, Norman acoustic, Fender J-Bass + gt10b

Clavia Nord Stage 2 Synth/Stage Piano Samson SR850 'phones

cubase, garritan personal orchestra, JABB, symphonic choirs, Sibelius, reason 6.5, IPAD 2 with lots of soft synths...

three shelter cats

Comment

Amazing how great the sounds and the dynamics are with our SPD 20 ... thinking of just MIDIing to that Roland unit for now...

thanks

Comment

If you like the sound and dynamics of the SPD-20, then you definitely don't want anything like the TD-8. You've got the right near-term idea really in terms of MIDIing to that.

Longer-term, it always comes down to what's most important to you in a module. I couldn't live without interval control, for example, which means I want a module with that.

www.dauphinehotel.com
                  www.myspace.com/rubberuniverse
                  www.digitaldrummermag.com
                  Mix and Match Heaven: TD-12 or EZDrummer, Diamond Drum 12" snare, Hart Acupad toms, Roland CY-5 mounted on a Hart Ecymbal II Pro Pedal, Hart Ride, Hart Acupad 8" bass, 2 Roland CY-14 crashes, two Concept 1 cymbals, a Yamaha PCY-10, all on a red Roland V-Sessions rack. Pads on hiatus: PD-7, Kit Toy Splash, Hart single-zone HH, Alesis DMPad ride and an entire Concept 1 kit.

Comment

Originally posted by grog View Post
                    If you like the sound and dynamics of the SPD-20, then you definitely don't want anything like the TD-8. You've got the right near-term idea really in terms of MIDIing to that.

Longer-term, it always comes down to what's most important to you in a module. I couldn't live without interval control, for example, which means I want a module with that.

www.dauphinehotel.com
                    www.myspace.com/rubberuniverse
                    www.digitaldrummermag.com
                    I really need the interval control on stage ( at present :: I just have to alternate between cymbals <delicately > on a crash ) but way too costly to move up to that caliber -- would probably mean a newer/larger module and upgraded pads It could get pricey..and way too much to carry around. The TD3 can collapse down to the trunk of my car ^^with almost everything remaining attached.

Comment

Working...
                    X