X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need cymbal wing nut for Roland cymbal arm

I want to replace the plastic wing nut that goes on top of the Roland standard cymbal arms. They come in the rotation-stopper/felt/nut combo, but I don't want all that.

Actually, I'd prefer if it was metal. I just accidentally stripped the plastic one, but plastic will do. All I can find is 6mm and 8mm, both too large. 6mm fits on my Tama and Pearl stands, but too big for Roland. Why did Roland do this anyway?

Any ideas on a cheap source, other than hardware store? Thanks!

Derek
    Superior Drummer 2.3; Modules: TD9+TD6V; Toms: Tama Imperialstar 8", 10", 12", 14", 16" and 6", 8" Concert Toms with Wronka Internal Triggers Bass: 22" Tama with Pearl TruTrac; Snare 12" Metal Yamaha with ddrum external trigger; Ride: 20" Gen16BB; Crash1: 18" Gen16BB; Crash2: 16" Gen16BB; Splash: 12" Gen16BB; China: PCY-155; Hi Hat: 14" GEN16BB with Tama 805 Velo Glide Stand; Rack: Gibraltar Chrome

I thought the only two sizes for cymbal wing nuts were 6mm and 8mm. I wonder what size the Roland's use?

Comment

I know the metal wingnuts from my light weight Sonor stands are exactly the same size and thread but I'm not sure what size they are off hand.

Comment

Roland use 6mm wingnuts.
        Gibraltar make 6 & 8mm, so you can use their 6mm versions.
        It works - I've done it (and now have 4 x 6mm wingnuts spare since I changed to all-Gibraltar hardware).
        However, your problem will be a lack of sheath (the Roland plastic one has one built in) and washer to push the felt down.
        The sheath prevents any exposed stand thread eating into the rubber section of the Roland cymbal.
        The washer sandwiches the felt down under the nut.
        To combat this, get some Gibraltar 'short' sheaths and use them upside down.
        it effectively gives you the washer/sheath combo in one piece (as per Roland's design, minus the wingnut section of course) and allows the metal wingnut to press against something, which it can't do without some form of washer.

8mm wingnut on Gibraltar stand, using washer from the stand, just for reference:
        Last edited by Tazed; 11-18-10, 09:33 PM.
        Triggers: Roland TD-30; PD-125s, PD-105s; KD-120, VH-11, CY-15R, CY-14Cs, CY-12C, BT-1, Hart Dynamics Hammer
        Hardware: Gibraltar 9600 Series (SN/HH/Pedal), Short Booms, Tube Clamps, Grabbers, Road Series Chrome Clamps on 2 x MDS-9 Rack Tube sets
        Other: Roland SPD-S, Korg WaveDrum, Superior Drummer (all SDXs and 3 EZXs), Roland DP-2 Pedals

Comment

Originally posted by Gleski View Post
          I thought the only two sizes for cymbal wing nuts were 6mm and 8mm. I wonder what size the Roland's use?
          So did I, until I tried to put my 6mm wing nut on... too big. Very odd how tiny the Roland cymbal threads are.

Derek
          Superior Drummer 2.3; Modules: TD9+TD6V; Toms: Tama Imperialstar 8", 10", 12", 14", 16" and 6", 8" Concert Toms with Wronka Internal Triggers Bass: 22" Tama with Pearl TruTrac; Snare 12" Metal Yamaha with ddrum external trigger; Ride: 20" Gen16BB; Crash1: 18" Gen16BB; Crash2: 16" Gen16BB; Splash: 12" Gen16BB; China: PCY-155; Hi Hat: 14" GEN16BB with Tama 805 Velo Glide Stand; Rack: Gibraltar Chrome

Comment

Originally posted by Tazed View Post
            Roland use 6mm wingnuts.
            It works - I've done it (and now have 4 x 6mm wingnuts spare since I changed to all-Gibraltar hardware).
            However, your problem will be a lack of sheath (the Roland plastic one has one built in) and washer to push the felt down.
            The sheath prevents any exposed stand thread eating into the rubber section of the Roland cymbal.
            The washer sandwiches the felt down under the nut.
            To combat this, get some Gibraltar 'short' sheaths and use them upside down.
            it effectively gives you the washer/sheath combo in one piece (as per Roland's design, minus the wingnut section of course) and allows the metal wingnut to press against something, which it can't do without some form of washer.

6mm wingnut on Roland stand, using washer from another cymbal stand:
            http://accessories.musiciansfriend.c...ack?sku=418017
            I see what you did Tazed. I actually use those Gibraltar sheaths, but not upside down. However, I have all Yamaha PCY-155s.

Maybe the Pearl stand I have is 8mm? I am using these nuts on the Pearl stand, which I *thought* were 6mm, although it is not specified.
            http://accessories.musiciansfriend.c...ack?sku=418017

These nuts do not fit on the two post mounted Roland stands, too big. Odd. I have calipers, if I measure the thread, is under 6mm, like 4.something, have to remeasure...

Comment

Roland use 6mm wingnuts.
              Ok, remeasured, and I think those unspecified Tama nuts and the Pearl stand are 8mm. Oh well, forget I said anything. I will order up some 6mm stuff...

Duh, sorry for the thread.

Derek

Comment

Originally posted by ohlarikd View Post
                I see what you did Tazed. I actually use those Gibraltar sheaths, but not upside down. However, I have all Yamaha PCY-155s.
                What I meant by the Yamaha comment - I am not using that Roland anti-rotation device, so there is nothing for the felt to sit on. Therefore, I use the sleeve the other way around so the felt rests on the sleeve base. Then its cymbal, then felt, then wing nut.

I just ordered the Gibralter 6mm nuts like you have, and will get a larger metal or nylon washer to put under it.

Thanks!

Derek

Comment

Ok, remeasured, and I think those unspecified Tama nuts and the Pearl stand are 8mm. Oh well, forget I said anything. I will order up some 6mm stuff...

Duh, sorry for the thread.

Derek
                  Sorted - just note the pic I posted is using some Gibraltar washers - the plastic sheath/washer combo I suggested running upside down looks like this:

Part No. SC-19B
                  OR, if you think they're too short, get the SC-19A models (longer) and cut them to size with a box cutter.
                  Triggers: Roland TD-30; PD-125s, PD-105s; KD-120, VH-11, CY-15R, CY-14Cs, CY-12C, BT-1, Hart Dynamics Hammer
                  Hardware: Gibraltar 9600 Series (SN/HH/Pedal), Short Booms, Tube Clamps, Grabbers, Road Series Chrome Clamps on 2 x MDS-9 Rack Tube sets
                  Other: Roland SPD-S, Korg WaveDrum, Superior Drummer (all SDXs and 3 EZXs), Roland DP-2 Pedals

Comment

Sorted - just note the pic I posted is using some Gibraltar washers
                    Are the washers you are using these?

http://drums-percussion.musiciansfri...her?sku=447793

It says flat, but they look cupped. Are they truly flat?

Derek

Comment

Sorry Tazed, I was looking at this picture you posted, and I guess the lighting made the washers look black, so I thought you had the sleeves upside down:

I see they are actually the chrome Gibraltar washers... right?

Derek

Comment

Too bad you already ordered the Gibralter 6mm wing nuts already. I have a few bags I could have sold you for cheap (but I guess wing nuts are cheap no matter where you get them).

Comment

Sorry Tazed, I was looking at this picture you posted, and I guess the lighting made the washers look black, so I thought you had the sleeves upside down:

I see they are actually the chrome Gibraltar washers... right?

Derek
                          Ahh, well spotted - that one is using the inverted black plastic Gibraltar washer.

Comment

Working...
                          X