X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Td-6V vs TD-8 vs Td-9

Since I know you guys never tire of these threads, I thought I'd make another

I recently purchased a TD-3KW kit after about 2 years of not drumming. Prior to that I played on a Hart Studio Master 6.4 kit with a blue TD-6.

I bought the TD-3 knowing the module wouldn't be enough, but I couldn't pass up the price.

I am now preparing to grab a new module and need some advice from the experts here.

In my prior experience, I was pretty happy with the TD-6, but would have liked a little more tweakability (hadn't discovered Vexpressions for it) While very limited, I've been impressed with the sounds and response of the TD-3.

At present I am leaning towards trying to track down a used TD-8, but am occassionally enticed by the newer TD-9.

TD-12 and TD-20 are completely out of the realm of possibility, so let's leave them out of the equation here.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

The td9 while is has newer and far better sounds than the td6, but isnt all that tweakable. also has fewer sounds...i am glad that i changed up, but then again, i didnt know about vexpacks and I REALLY disliked the stock kits on the 6....so the 9 was a really good buy for me....
    TD9+6v module, KD-8, custom Diamond Electronic 12" snare + 2x8" + 2x10" toms, PD-85, 4xPD8, 2xCY8, CY-5, CY-12r/c, Pearl P902 double pedals, Diamond Electronic COWBELL!
    HPD-10 ATH-50M phones and 4 Vex Packs for the TD-9

Gibson Les Paul. + pod xtl, Norman acoustic, Fender J-Bass + gt10b

Clavia Nord Stage 2 Synth/Stage Piano Samson SR850 'phones

cubase, garritan personal orchestra, JABB, symphonic choirs, Sibelius, reason 6.5, IPAD 2 with lots of soft synths...

three shelter cats

Comment

I'd rule out a TD-6 if you could get an 8. TD-9 would also be good and probably a bit more versatile with something like a VH-11.

www.myspace.com/rubberuniverse
      Mix and Match Heaven: TD-12 or EZDrummer, Diamond Drum 12" snare, Hart Acupad toms, Roland CY-5 mounted on a Hart Ecymbal II Pro Pedal, Hart Ride, Hart Acupad 8" bass, 2 Roland CY-14 crashes, two Concept 1 cymbals, a Yamaha PCY-10, all on a red Roland V-Sessions rack. Pads on hiatus: PD-7, Kit Toy Splash, Hart single-zone HH, Alesis DMPad ride and an entire Concept 1 kit.

Comment

Definitely the 8 or 9 I'd say, but I reckon you could get a used 12 for close to the price of a new 9, likewise a TD10 may be in range.
        I have sold every last bit of my E KIt, even cables! Odery Eyedentity LA Rock sizes in Mappa Burl, Paiste Alpha Boomers, 14 Hats, 16 and 18 Crashes, 22 ride (it's a beast!) Mapex Hardware, Axis Double Pedal

Comment

Out of those 3 you mentioned, +1 on TD-8 for tweakability because it has V-Edit/COSM

Kev mentioned TD-10. If you do want to spend more to get a TD-10, which also has V-Edit, get the expanded one (i.e. with TDW-1 with V-Cymbal Control).
          Last edited by sciomako; 02-19-09, 08:58 PM.
          My compact kit.

"Praise Him with PD-125 on TD-10exp... praise Him with the clash of CY-8, praise Him with resounding CY-15R." Psalm 150

Comment

TD-10 won't give you all the features of the VH-11, assuming that's important.

Mix and Match Heaven: TD-12 or EZDrummer, Diamond Drum 12" snare, Hart Acupad toms, Roland CY-5 mounted on a Hart Ecymbal II Pro Pedal, Hart Ride, Hart Acupad 8" bass, 2 Roland CY-14 crashes, two Concept 1 cymbals, a Yamaha PCY-10, all on a red Roland V-Sessions rack. Pads on hiatus: PD-7, Kit Toy Splash, Hart single-zone HH, Alesis DMPad ride and an entire Concept 1 kit.

Comment

Thanks for all the input fellas. We've safely eliminated the TD-6 from the mix. Anyone who's owned both care to weigh in on the pros vs cons of the 8 and 9?

As I understand it, with the TD-8 we've got positional sensing on the snare, and deep CMOS(sp?) configuration, while the TD-9 is a tiny bit more limited, but has a newer sound group.

Comment

As I mentioned above, the TD-9 will also work with the "full featured" HHs, the VH-11 and presumably the Hart Epedal Pro II. The TD-8, while you can plug in either of those setups and get basic HH functionality, doesn't have the full range of sound-to-motion capability that you'd get with those pieces of hardware. The TD-9 does.

Again, that's *really* important to some people, others could care less.

The TD-8 remains a very strong module. A gigging edrummer in my area has one with his Hart Pro 6.4 kit and loves it.

Comment

Think this way:

TD-9 is an upgraded TD-6 and, thus, carries a lot of its limitations. But it has most up-to-date sounds and, as grog said, supports V-11.

TD-8 is a trimmed down version of the once top-of-the-line TD-10. CSOM/V-Edit and positional sensing on snare, and arguably better interface.

Maybe you want to check out this thread I started a couple of months ago when I was researching for my module. It doesn't answer your questions directly. But it has some good info. http://www.vdrums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=45505
                  My compact kit.

"Praise Him with PD-125 on TD-10exp... praise Him with the clash of CY-8, praise Him with resounding CY-15R." Psalm 150

Comment

Is it just me, or has the pricing of used gear really started to climb in the last 2-3 weeks?

I've been struggling with this decision for a month or so, and have been watching pricing pretty closely.

On Ebay TD-8s were routinely closing in the $360-$385 neighbor a few weeks ago, but now $450 seems to be about the norm with a couple of people even doing "Buy It Now" for as much as $549.

TD-6s as well have seemingly gone up as much as $100 from the high 2's now regularly in the high 3's.

Just a tide in supply and demand or a sign of something else?

Comment

Supply and demand for sure.
                      My compact kit.

Comment

See the thread on how the exchange rate is driving everything up.

That's trickling down to used equipment now in that the new stuff costs more, therefore the used stuff will most likely track up in parallel.

Comment

I'd say TD-8 while you save for a TD-20! The TD9 won't be enough for you!
                          Beater-tester. digitalDrummer
                          Review index

Comment

http://vdrums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=47264

Would this be worth the step up?

Comment

Originally posted by ClerkDante View Post
                              http://vdrums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=47264

Would this be worth the step up?
                              Yes.

Bruce
                              • Roland TD-20+TDW-20, TD-8, SPD-S, PD-105, PD-6/8, CY-5/6/8/12, FD-6/8, KD-7/8, RT-10K, PM-30, DB-90
                              • Hart Acupad, Hart Hammer, Pintech Dingbat, Sony MDR-7505, Shure E2, 512. Pacific CX, Zildjian A Customs.

Comment

Working...
                              X