X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VH-11 Trigger Problems

An issue recently came up with my VH-11 on my TD9 kit. When open, the trigger works but stops short of the full open hi-hat sound - cut off quickly. I've swapped cables with a crash, and the crash works fine as a hi-hat (including the bottom open/close trigger functionality) whereas the VH-11 still cuts short of the full crash sound. Therefore, I know it's the VH-11

I'm just inside of 2 years from when I bought this kit, so there's no hope of warranty. Has anyone dealt with this before? I'm not afraid to open up the cymbal and try to troubleshoot the electronics, but I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas before I do so.

Thanks.

There's three possibilities that spring to mind.
    One is a worn cable - this isn't your problem.
    The second is the fabled 'pixie dust'.
    This is small rubber particles from the inside of the rubber coating becoming lodged between the rubber and the trigger(s).
    The effect is often found as choking - about what you're describing.
    It happens if the rubber cover wears way inside, even a very little bit, if it's been moving under playing forces.
    It doesn't affect all cymbals (or hats) and is rare, but not unheard of.
    I'm not convinced this is your issue.
    The third and final thought I had is that a solder joint between the wiring and circuit board or wiring and trigger sensor might have broken - which would explain the sudden occurrence.
    This does occur, and not just in the VH-11 - the VH-12 does it probably more often.
    How do you feel about opening it up?
    Triggers: Roland TD-30; PD-125s, PD-105s; KD-120, VH-11, CY-15R, CY-14Cs, CY-12C, BT-1, Hart Dynamics Hammer
    Hardware: Gibraltar 9600 Series (SN/HH/Pedal), Short Booms, Tube Clamps, Grabbers, Road Series Chrome Clamps on 2 x MDS-9 Rack Tube sets
    Other: Roland SPD-S, Korg WaveDrum, Superior Drummer (all SDXs and 3 EZXs), Roland DP-2 Pedals

Comment

This is small rubber particles from the inside of the rubber coating becoming lodged between the rubber and the trigger(s).
      It happens if the rubber cover wears way inside, even a very little bit, if it's been moving under playing forces.
      The third and final thought I had is that a solder joint between the wiring and circuit board or wiring and trigger sensor might have broken - which would explain the sudden occurrence.
      This does occur, and not just in the VH-11 - the VH-12 does it probably more often.
      Triggers: Roland TD-30; PD-125s, PD-105s; KD-120, VH-11, CY-15R, CY-14Cs, CY-12C, BT-1, Hart Dynamics Hammer
      Hardware: Gibraltar 9600 Series (SN/HH/Pedal), Short Booms, Tube Clamps, Grabbers, Road Series Chrome Clamps on 2 x MDS-9 Rack Tube sets
      Other: Roland SPD-S, Korg WaveDrum, Superior Drummer (all SDXs and 3 EZXs), Roland DP-2 Pedals

Comment

Originally posted by Tazed View Post
        Is it just me, or is this the slowest website on the entirety of the internet?

Thanks for the post! Looks like I'll take her apart tomorrow. That part isn't a big deal. I am an electrical engineer after all. It would be great if there were schematics out there for this.

Comment

Originally posted by tinate View Post

Thanks for the post! Looks like I'll take her apart tomorrow. That part isn't a big deal. I am an electrical engineer after all. It would be great if there were schematics out there for this.
          It's dead simple.
          Triggers are film type, under the rubber cover.
          It's stuck down with double-sided sheet, so peel it up slowly with even force so it'll flatten back down again nicely.
          Once peeled up and away, give it a really good clean (both the ABS cymbal base and the rubber cover's underside).
          Checking the solders should be a doddle for you, then... ;-)
          Hopefully that will sort it for you.

Comment

Yes....I do believe it is.
            8 piece DIY Acrylic http://www.quartzpercussions.com/, 2x2Box DrumIt5, Gen16 4xDCP, Acrylic&Gen16 Conversions http://stealthdrums.com/Home_Page.html, Sleishman Twin-QuadSteele hybrid http://drumagination.com/ , Gibraltar&DrumFrame rack, DW9502LB, Midi Knights Pro Lighting http://jeredsystems.com/index.php
            http://www.airbrushartists.org/DreamscapeAirbrushRealm

Comment

Hi All. I had once some problems with my VH-11 doing really strange things..... turned out the BIG nut at the base of the bottom trigger was loose! Tightened it up, put some nail varnish around it to save it happening again & voila!

Could be worth a look?

Baz
              TD-12, 5 x Mesh, VH-11, 3 x CY12RC, 1 x CY5. Amplification is an RCF 310A 350 watt active speaker :-) Plus a TD-3 module

Comment

It's dead simple.
                Triggers are film type, under the rubber cover.
                It's stuck down with double-sided sheet, so peel it up slowly with even force so it'll flatten back down again nicely.
                Once peeled up and away, give it a really good clean (both the ABS cymbal base and the rubber cover's underside).
                Checking the solders should be a doddle for you, then... ;-)
                Hopefully that will sort it for you.
                Tazed,

I have the VH-11 taken apart. You say the triggers are under the rubber cover. I'm finding that the rubber cover is pretty well glued on.

Comment

Tazed,

I have the VH-11 taken apart. You say the triggers are under the rubber cover. I'm finding that the rubber cover is pretty well glued on.
                  Oh yeah, those babies are stuck down well with a complete double-sided sticky film.
                  It will come away, and the triggers are visible underneath.
                  This gives you the idea:

Watch these. Might be helpful:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5F7NdtlkAQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtzHCfeJp-o
                  Last edited by Tazed; 05-15-13, 10:06 PM.

Comment

Oh yeah, those babies are stuck down well with a complete double-sided sticky film.
                    It will come away, and the triggers are visible underneath.
                    This gives you the idea:

Watch these. Might be helpful:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5F7NdtlkAQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtzHCfeJp-o
                    Your second video was perfect. My problem is fixed. Thanks!

Comment

Cool! Nice to be back up and running.

Comment

I'm having issues with getting my VH-11 to work with my TD-30 module. So I decided just ti use a Hart E-Pedal II for the controller and that seem to work fine.
                        I use a TD-30 module, I took a Traps drum set, replaced the toms with Pintech mesh heads, Roland triggers on them. PD-125 snare. PD-8 as a cross stix pad, KD-120 kick, Hart Hammer as cowbell and other asst sounds. CY-14 Cymbal. Gibraltar and Traps rack. Roland KC-600 amp for gigs. TD-10 Exp for the practice set through a Jamhub

[url]https://www.facebook.com/Sector7gBand

Comment

Originally posted by eastwdsq View Post
                          I'm having issues with getting my VH-11 to work with my TD-30 module. So I decided just ti use a Hart E-Pedal II for the controller and that seem to work fine.
                          Works fine on a TD-30. You just need correct setup, as per Roland's guides.

Comment

Working...
                          X