X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TD-11K + upgrades vs TD-11KV

In the market for a 1000$-ish e-kit, I think I've ruled out Yamaha because the DTX500 module feels like a relic from the 80's, with very little tweakability and a bad case of machine gunning on all sounds (cymbal swells and tom rolls are particularly horrible) despite how nice the TCS pads feel. Every time I sample one, I find myself trying to like it, while the TD-11 just gives me a smile from the get-go (and I have no intention of ever moving to an acoustic kit, so I don't care that the mesh pads don't have the real feel)

I can only afford the 11K for now, so I was running the numbers to see how much more expensive it would be to upgrade the parts later and the answer was surprising.
    The 2 differences between them: the KV comes with a 3-zone ride, PDX-6 toms and a PDX-8 floor tom.

So let's see…
    PDX-6 are 125$ a piece, so 250$
    PDX-8 is 220$
    CY13 3-zone is 240$
    Total cost of upgrade: 710$

The price difference between the K and the KV is 600$, but here's the thing: by upgrading the K this way, you now have THREE cymbals (2 crash and a ride, there is an extra input for an 2nd crash on the module). Ergo you just got a 2nd crash for 110$ (and I do need 2 crashes).

And of course, for a little extra cash, I could upgrade the snare and floor tom to PDX-100 and use the PDX-8 that came with the kit as a tom (instead of the small PDX-6s).

Makes sense to me, am I missing something?

Welcome to the forum

One thing you are missing is that the pdx 6's are very small, and the pdx-8 is a meh of a pad, not particularly good or inspiring.
    I would look for used pd-85s, and pd105/125s (for snare and floor tom).

Better yet, check www.diamondelectronicdrums.com for inexpensive, superb-looking pads.
    TD9+6v module, KD-8, custom Diamond Electronic 12" snare + 2x8" + 2x10" toms, PD-85, 4xPD8, 2xCY8, CY-5, CY-12r/c, Pearl P902 double pedals, Diamond Electronic COWBELL!
    HPD-10 ATH-50M phones and 4 Vex Packs for the TD-9

Gibson Les Paul. + pod xtl, Norman acoustic, Fender J-Bass + gt10b

Clavia Nord Stage 2 Synth/Stage Piano Samson SR850 'phones

cubase, garritan personal orchestra, JABB, symphonic choirs, Sibelius, reason 6.5, IPAD 2 with lots of soft synths...

three shelter cats

Comment

Originally posted by saku View Post
      Welcome to the forum

One thing you are missing is that the pdx 6's are very small, and the pdx-8 is a meh of a pad, not particularly good or inspiring.
      I would look for used pd-85s, and pd105/125s (for snare and floor tom).

Better yet, check www.diamondelectronicdrums.com for inexpensive, superb-looking pads.
      Well, that was the later part of my post: by upgrading myself I get to choose the individual components (the PDX-6s are indeed not that fun to play on).
      Problem is that building a kit from scratch yourself costs a fortune (the TD-11 module and the rack almost cost the price of the complete TD-11KS by themselves). But in this case, upgrading from a TD-11KS (instead of a KV) seems the better thing to do.
      I do want to treat myself to a super nice snare, perhaps even of the 12" variety.

Comment

Originally posted by Snick View Post
        Well, that was the later part of my post: by upgrading myself I get to choose the individual components (the PDX-6s are indeed not that fun to play on).
        Problem is that building a kit from scratch yourself costs a fortune (the TD-11 module and the rack almost cost the price of the complete TD-11KS by themselves). But in this case, upgrading from a TD-11KS (instead of a KV) seems the better thing to do.
        I do want to treat myself to a super nice snare, perhaps even of the 12" variety.
        building from scratch can be very economical with a little patience and luck. Buying used is usually safe with Roland and Yamaha, because they are well built. Keep an eye out!
        TD9+6v module, KD-8, custom Diamond Electronic 12" snare + 2x8" + 2x10" toms, PD-85, 4xPD8, 2xCY8, CY-5, CY-12r/c, Pearl P902 double pedals, Diamond Electronic COWBELL!
        HPD-10 ATH-50M phones and 4 Vex Packs for the TD-9

Gibson Les Paul. + pod xtl, Norman acoustic, Fender J-Bass + gt10b

Clavia Nord Stage 2 Synth/Stage Piano Samson SR850 'phones

cubase, garritan personal orchestra, JABB, symphonic choirs, Sibelius, reason 6.5, IPAD 2 with lots of soft synths...

three shelter cats

Comment

Hi!

Buying the TD-11k and exchanging the PD-8A rubbish for used PD-85's did the trick for me...
          edrums .:: Roland TD-11 : PDX-8 - 2 x PD-85 - KD-9 - FD-8 - CY-5 - 2xCY-8 - CY 12 R/C :: Dixon 711 pedal :: Vater VH7AN :: EZ Drummer / SD on MacBook 1,1 (EZX's Americana, Jazz, Nashville, Vintage Rock, The Classic, Funkmasters, Claustrophobic, The Blues, Indie Folk) :: BFDEco ::.
          adrums .:: Classic Cantabile Session Jungle Kit :: Murat Diril Cymbals ::.
          If anyone asks whether you're on Facebook, Google etc.: Just say "no"!

Comment

I recently bought a TD4KV and found that pdx6 are indeed too small and I immediately upgraded them. Pdx8 are nice pads as toms but maybe a little small as snare. Also buying a new pdx8 doesn't make much sense, because the pdx100 is far better, larger and cheaper.
            · Roland TD15 --> PICTURE
            · XM 12" snare - pdx100 - 2x pdx8 - 12" DIY with Wronka Easytrigger
            · cy12c - cy13r - cy14c
            · Triggera Krigg

Comment

As a TD-11KV owner I'll chime in.

I quite like the triggering on the PDX- xx pads to be honest. They are very consistent and sensitive. Plus there are NIL hotspots. The x-stick, rimshot and head separation are all very very good on the kit.

I don't use the black MDS-4V rack with mine, instead I use an MDS-25 I have had for years and used with 4 different kits now. This one being the 4th.
              The thing I'm not keen on is the PDX-6's physical size. When I save a few bucks I'll swap out the current PDX-8 for the snare pad out to be one of the floor toms and the snare pad will be replaced with a PDX-100. I may even swap out the 2 floor toms for PDX-100's as well.

Once again, no hot spots, larger 10" mesh head and keeping with the theme of the kit.

Added some splitters to the floor toms as I don't really require rim triggering on them, and they have become extra inputs by way of a 3rd single zone cymbal, and a utility pad to be whatever I want it to be.

The CY-12c is now the hihat pad, the CY-5 serves as the 3rd cymbal, the CY-13R for the ride, and a pair of Yamaha crashes (PCY-135 and 155 respectively) take care of crash duties.

And I still have room for some expansion.
              Rob
              Building GAS as we speak!! - TD11KV. Extra Yamaha cymbals. MDS-25 rack.

Comment

Pdx100 is very nice, but it has hotspot unfortunetly. I used it as snare for a few days, but I really hate hotspots, so I now use it as floor tom and got an xm 12" snare which works perfectly.
                · cy12c - cy13r - cy14c
                · Triggera Krigg

Comment

How can it? The construction of it is the same as the PDX6 & 8, but with a 10" head, the head trigger is side mounted is it not? All the pics have seen suggest it is, can someone confirm this?
                  Rob

Comment

Rasoo what are the splitters you talkabout and where to order em from?

Comment

Originally posted by rasoo View Post
                      How can it? The construction of it is the same as the PDX6 & 8, but with a 10" head, the head trigger is side mounted is it not? All the pics have seen suggest it is, can someone confirm this?
                      No, the PDX-100 head piezo is central. (You can check diagrams on pages 4 and 7 of its manual.)

Bruce
                      • Roland TD-20+TDW-20, TD-8, SPD-S, PD-105, PD-6/8, CY-5/6/8/12, FD-6/8, KD-7/8, RT-10K, PM-30, DB-90
                      • Hart Acupad, Hart Hammer, Pintech Dingbat, Sony MDR-7505, Shure E2, 512. Pacific CX, Zildjian A Customs.

Comment

Originally posted by rasoo View Post
                        The PDX100 is exactly a PD-105 with a cheaper body. That's why I got the Xm, which has a side mounted trigger like pdx6 and 8.
                        · cy12c - cy13r - cy14c
                        · Triggera Krigg

Comment

Originally posted by BarT View Post
                          No, the PDX-100 head piezo is central. (You can check diagrams on pages 4 and 7 of its manual.)

Bruce
                          Thanks for the information, I was wondering why the PDX-100 was cheaper than the PDX-8

I'm on my way to check a used TD-4 kit actually, if I like it enough I can use the money difference on better pads, if not I'll exchange it for a TD-11. For recording, I'll be triggering NI Studio Drummer anyway, so the only real advantage of the TD-11 would be the ability to bypass my audio interface (a Roland!) completely since it has USB (Midi + Audio) while the TD-4 is MIDI only.
                          Also, faster triggering, but then I tend to play ahead of the beat hehe.

Comment

So I brought the TD-4K2 home, it's basically the exact same hardware as the TD-11K except with the older module.
                            I've got 2 months to decide if I keep it or return it and get a TD-11K instead. I do admit the sounds feel much more limited, but my main gripe is the hi-hat. Maybe a VH-11 will be a more urgent upgrade than a new snare...

A bigger snare comes 2nd for sure though! PDX-8 is small! And looking through it I noticed what you guys mean by side-mounted sensor, it's basically located on the shell closest to the player, meaning you're quite unlikely to hit it unless you do it on purpose. Experimenting with it... damn, that is a HOT spot indeed when you get close. No PDX-100 for me!!!
                            So it's PD-108??
                            Last edited by Snick; 11-27-12, 03:32 PM.

Comment

Thanks Bruce for clearing that up... Having not seen the internals of a PDX-100 anywhere I figured they went the route of the other PDX pads in the series, good to know.

Originally posted by Matfarsan View Post
                              Rasoo what are the splitters you talkabout and where to order em from?
                              Very basic splitter to make, I made mine. Take a regular splitter and put a 100Kohm resistor across the tip and ring terminals, the other 2 jacks would be tip/sleeve only.

Works perfectly, of course you'll have to adjust the settings for the type of pad you use in the module, but triggering and sensitivity is great. I could never get these to work properly on the older series modules I owned (TD-12 and TD-20) but on the '11 its great.
                              Rob

Comment

Working...
                              X