Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roland Td8 question

Quick question guys,

Having hard time looking at all different roland modules.

How many more cymbals/extra drums can you add to a Td8? At the moment I'm going to have 3 toms snare kick 1 splash/crash and hi hat of course. I'm hoping to add maybe 2 extra crashs down the line?

What is the expandability of this module like? is the Td10 more expandable and worth getting over it? TD12 is a little out my price range and the td9 hardly ever comes up.

On the TD-8 you have the following inputs:

Kick: 2x Mono (splitable)
    Snare: Stereo, piezo/piezo with Pos.Sensing
    Tom1/Tom2/Tom3: Stereo, piezo/switch
    Hi-Hat: Stereo, piezo/switch
    Hi-Hat Ctrl: Variable resistor, supports VH-11
    Crash1/Crash2/Ride: Stereo, piezo/switch
    Aux-input: 2x Mono (splitable)

If you give up a piezo/switch input, you could use a 3-zone ride (with some parameter adjustments.)

If you would like to split a dual-zone input you need
    - for a piezo/piezo input (Snare): a "drumsplitter"
    - for piezo/switch inputs (Toms 1-3, Cymbals) : a Keith Raper Circuit

If you use the 'Crash 2' and 'Ride' inputs for a 3 zone ride cymbal, you could use crashes on inputs 'Crash 1', 'Aux' (splitted) and possibly another one on the splitted 'Kick' input, though I'm not 100% sure about the last one...
    Greetings from Switzerland,
    - Dänoh

"My best friends' name is J-SON. They used to call him 'Mr. Parse.' He has an 'Error'..!"

http://www.vdrums.com/forum/core/cus...ar33631_4.jpeg

Comment

Originally posted by hairmetal-81 View Post
      On the TD-8 you have the following inputs:

Kick: 2x Mono (splitable)
      Snare: Stereo, piezo/piezo with Pos.Sensing
      Tom1/Tom2/Tom3: Stereo, piezo/switch
      Hi-Hat: Stereo, piezo/switch
      Hi-Hat Ctrl: Variable resistor, supports VH-11
      Crash1/Crash2/Ride: Stereo, piezo/switch
      Aux-input: 2x Mono (splitable)

If you give up a piezo/switch input, you could use a 3-zone ride (with some parameter adjustments.)

If you would like to split a dual-zone input you need
      - for a piezo/piezo input (Snare): a "drumsplitter"
      - for piezo/switch inputs (Toms 1-3, Cymbals) : a Keith Raper Circuit

If you use the 'Crash 2' and 'Ride' inputs for a 3 zone ride cymbal, you could use crashes on inputs 'Crash 1', 'Aux' (splitted) and possibly another one on the splitted 'Kick' input, though I'm not 100% sure about the last one...
      hi Thanks,

Appreciate the input. I'm only using dual zone cymbals anyway I think alesis surge ones.

Comment

Originally posted by captshiznit View Post
        What is the expandability of this module like? is the Td10 more expandable and worth getting over it?
        Not much difference between a TD-8 and TD-10 in terms of inputs as they both have 12.

But the two Aux inputs (11 and 12) can be used for dual-zone cymbals on a TD-10 but only for single-zone cymbals on a TD-8.

Bruce
        • Roland TD-20+TDW-20, TD-8, SPD-S, PD-105, PD-6/8, CY-5/6/8/12, FD-6/8, KD-7/8, RT-10K, PM-30, DB-90
        • Hart Acupad, Hart Hammer, Pintech Dingbat, Sony MDR-7505, Shure E2, 512. Pacific CX, Zildjian A Customs.

Comment

hi thanks dudes appreciate the input!

Love this forum

Comment

Price-wise on eBay, the TD-8 is generally as expensive as a TD-10. You can pick up either one in the $450 range. You can often pick up TDW-1 expanded TD-10 in the $550 range.

I'd vote to forget about the 8 and get the 10. If you can pop the extra $100, the expanded TD-10 gets you the enhanced V-Cymbal control and some other enhancements.

I've been extensively researching modules myself as I'm looking to upgrade from a TD-3. I'm personally waiting for the new TD-11, TD-15, TD-30 modules to be widely available to drive down the cost of pre-owned TD-12s and TD-20s. The expanded TD-10 is one hell of a module, though.
            E Kit TD-10x (VEX Classic XP), PD-125 snare, (2) PD-100 toms, PD-120 floor tom, KD-85 kick, CY-15R ride, CY-12C/R crash, (2) CY-8 crash, CY-5 & FD-8 hi hat, MDS-9 rack, DW 5000 pedal, PM-30 amp.
            A Kit Pearl Export 5pc (10"/12"/14" toms, 20" bd), 14" 1964 Ludwig Supraphonic snare, Zildjian Avedis 14" Hats, 14" K-Custom/16" Bronze/18" A-Custom crashes, 10" A-Custom splash, 20" Bronze ride, DW5000 pedal

Comment

Working...
            X