Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hart Pro Snare with TD-12

Hi all,

Recently purchased a TD-12KX used after receiving some advice from you guys here. The only thing slightly irritating me is the fact that my snare is a PD-105, and size-wise feels relatively small compared to my acoustic kit snare.

I'm considering purchasing a Hart Pro Snare, but have read some reviews of it having triggering issues. Was wondering whether this is with the specific modules tested, was hoping for feedback from TD-12 users?

By the way, for argument's sake, how does the Hart Pro Snare stack up to a PD-120, or a PD-125 even?

Look forward to hearing your replies!

Thanks,
    Marios

I'm running a Hart Pro Snare with my TD12 and I think it's truly amazing - I found it better than my pd125.

I've never had any issues with it and it triggers superbly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    sigpic
    Pearl Maple Laquered Artisian II - Sangria #806 - 22x18 Bass, 8x7 -10x8 - 12x9 Toms - 14x14 - 16x16 - 18x16 Floor Toms, 14x5 Masterworks Snare
    Sabian AA 14 Medium Hats, AAX 13 X-celerator Hats, AAX 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 Vault Crash, APX 20 Ride, AAX 17 X-treme China, AAX 8 & 10 Air Splash
    Pearl Rack, Eliminators, 1000 Series Hardware, Gibraltar Cymbal Booms, LP Rock Ridge Cowbell
    Shure SE425 IEM, Audix Microphones, Soundcraft EPM12 Mixer, Remo Clear Vintage Emperor & Clear Ambassador Heads

Comment

I have no experience with the Hart...I play a Pintech 14" Acoustech snare which feels great as I play acoustics quite regularly as well.

Digital Drummer magazine did an awesome snare comparo in the last issue (including Hart) check it out

www.digitaldrummermag.com

iPhone Tapatalk
      A-KIT: Pearl Masters Maple Custom
      E-KIT: Pintech Pads 10/10/12", 14" Acoustech Snare, KD-120 Kick, VH-11 Hi-Hat, Pearl Eliminator Doubles
      MODULE: Roland TD-12

Comment

Hi both, thanks for your quick responses both appreciated!

I have checked out the "Snare Shootout" (November 2011 issue if anyone else is interested).

The thing is 14" sounds wayyy to big for me, plus the Hart snare is gorgeous (to be completely honest). I have checked out PD-125 and PD-120 prices and they seem way too expensive in my opinion.

Anyone care to argue against the Hart pro feel free to do so before i order hehe

Comment

No argument here, I considered it myself after getting the Pintech
          Heard great things from many users and it does look beautiful and shiny! yeah I would like a 'slightly' smaller snare as well, more things to go wrong on a 'big' e-snare (one thing being 12 x tension lugs either side!) Many others though have had no issue with larger bought/DIY snares

iPhone Tapatalk
          A-KIT: Pearl Masters Maple Custom
          E-KIT: Pintech Pads 10/10/12", 14" Acoustech Snare, KD-120 Kick, VH-11 Hi-Hat, Pearl Eliminator Doubles
          MODULE: Roland TD-12

Comment

I've been using my Hart Pro snare with a TD-12 for several years now. Not sure what issues you have heard about, but I haven't experienced any problems of any kind.
            Last edited by Fullback32; 03-05-12, 09:28 AM.
            TD-12; TD-6V; FD-8; Hart Pro Toms, Snare, Bass; ECII hihat, crashes, splash & ride; Smartrigger crashes & china; Hart Hammer Pad; Pintech Dingbat; Iron Cobra double-bass.

"I never play the same thing twice...sometimes because I simply can't remember it." - John Paul Jones

Comment

Originally posted by zeroqbd View Post
              Anyone care to argue against the Hart pro feel free to do so before i order hehe
              Well, I also have a Hart Pro Snare, which I love. But, there is an issue that you should know about. The Hart Magnum mesh head is known to stretch over time. You can tighten the head, but the hoop of the head will eventually touch the lugs and cause mis-triggering. I've owned two different Hart Pro snares and have experienced them same issue with each. The only solution I've found is to replace the head with a different brand. But, since the snare is 13", you cannot buy a Roland head for it. This leaves you with other single ply heads which are worse than the Hart Magnum. I eventually found a 2-ply head in Germany that works great. But, it is not easy to get in the states.

Hart now has a new head which is supposed to be better -- the Maxxum. I have no experience with the Maxxum, so I can't tell you if it solves the stretching problem. So, maybe someone with Maxxum experience will speak up. Only one other issue that I can think of -- it is HEAVY. This is not an issue for me. In fact, I see it as a plus because it makes it very solid. But it might be an issue for some, so just thought I should mention it.

Anyway, other than the head stretching issue, I love my Hart snare. Not only is it the perfect size for me, but it triggers great on all modules that I have owned -- TD-8, TD-12, TD-20, TD-20x. The extra plus is that it is beautiful. So, now that I have solved the head stretching issue, the snare is perfect.

-SD-

Comment

Originally posted by SiliconDrummer View Post
                Well, I also have a Hart Pro Snare, which I love. But, there is an issue that you should know about. The Hart Magnum mesh head is known to stretch over time. You can tighten the head, but the hoop of the head will eventually touch the lugs and cause mis-triggering. I've owned two different Hart Pro snares and have experienced them same issue with each. The only solution I've found is to replace the head with a different brand. But, since the snare is 13", you cannot buy a Roland head for it. This leaves you with other single ply heads which are worse than the Hart Magnum. I eventually found a 2-ply head in Germany that works great. But, it is not easy to get in the states.

Hart now has a new head which is supposed to be better -- the Maxxum. I have no experience with the Maxxum, so I can't tell you if it solves the stretching problem. So, maybe someone with Maxxum experience will speak up. Only one other issue that I can think of -- it is HEAVY. This is not an issue for me. In fact, I see it as a plus because it makes it very solid. But it might be an issue for some, so just thought I should mention it.

Anyway, other than the head stretching issue, I love my Hart snare. Not only is it the perfect size for me, but it triggers great on all modules that I have owned -- TD-8, TD-12, TD-20, TD-20x. The extra plus is that it is beautiful. So, now that I have solved the head stretching issue, the snare is perfect.

-SD-
                Yep the Hart is 13" not 14" and the newer Maxxums are great. No stretching for the one I used for months whereas the Magnums needed tweaking every week or so....and I cinch them down pretty tight. Has a nice "crisp" feel to it too compared to Magnum. More like mylar IMHO. If you buy the HartPro "new" it will probly have a Maxxum on it...but you could call and ask for sure. Even if you bought it second hand, the Magnum would suffice until you wanted to replace it. Hart Heads are bomb proof, never had to replace one because of wear. Then when you buy the Maxxum to replace it....it's only a couple $ more than the Magnum anyway. With all that said.....I've NEVER used the Hart Pro Snare....just the heads.
                8 Piece Smokey Chrome/Acrylic w/DIY Pans http://quartzpercussions.com/home_en.html 2BoxDrumIt5x2, DIY Acrylic Spl/Ch, Gen16 Hats/Rides/Ch/Spl, Assorted Gen16 Conversion Cymbals http://www.stealthdrums.com/,DW Remote,SleishmanTwin/QuadSteele Conversion, http://www.drumagination.com/drum-pe...com/mk_pro.php Gibraltar & DrumFrame rack systems
                www.airbrushartists.org/dreamscapeairbrushrealm

Comment

Hart Snares are awesome. I agree about the heads, but that is so easily solved.
                  I have sold every last bit of my E KIt, even cables! Odery Eyedentity LA Rock sizes in Mappa Burl, Paiste Alpha Boomers, 14 Hats, 16 and 18 Crashes, 22 ride (it's a beast!) Mapex Hardware, Axis Double Pedal

Comment

I have Accupads but the triggering mechanism, ie "the innards" are identical to the Pro.

Rock solid. Far less suscetible to the dreaded hot spot than the PD-125 as well.

www.dauphinehotel.com
                    www.myspace.com/rubberuniverse
                    www.digitaldrummermag.com
                    Mix and Match Heaven: TD-12 or EZDrummer, Diamond Drum 12" snare, Hart Acupad toms, Roland CY-5 mounted on a Hart Ecymbal II Pro Pedal, Hart Ride, Hart Acupad 8" bass, 2 Roland CY-14 crashes, two Concept 1 cymbals, a Yamaha PCY-10, all on a red Roland V-Sessions rack. Pads on hiatus: PD-7, Kit Toy Splash, Hart single-zone HH, Alesis DMPad ride and an entire Concept 1 kit.

Comment

Wow thank you all for the vast number of responses, you have all been extremely helpful! Thats why i liked these forums, even the tiny details i never thought of asking myself have been answered here

Btw, i actually did UTFSE before posting this and it appears that there's a lot of "triggering issue" threads, but that appeared to be mainly on older roland modules. I'm glad i no longer have this concern, and look forward to puttin up a review one day giving feedback

Comment

Working...
                      X