Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Roland V-drums TD-30 or Other High end kit? Best kit?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So do they have to be tuned and all that, the heads. That's what scares me. I have no clue about drums, but want to have a stellar set here for when we do find a drummer or just for me to record some of my simpler stuff on.
    They look f'n fantastic and that drum module the 2 box seems pretty cool.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesfarrell View Post
      So do they have to be tuned and all that, the heads. That's what scares me. I have no clue about drums, but want to have a stellar set here for when we do find a drummer or just for me to record some of my simpler stuff on.
      They look f'n fantastic and that drum module the 2 box seems pretty cool.
      No they don't need to be tuned. Just tightened the same amount of turns on all lugs, just like you would on a roland set. They have lugs too. The 2 box has the best sound since you can load samples into it but since you said what's best, I'd say roland TD30 running superior drummer with Evil Drums or some other library depending on the music genre.

Comment

Be mindful if you go with this kind of custom rig...you'll need to at least buy the hats that go with whichever module and probly cymbals...rack...HH stand...throne.......pedal..... etc. wiil be extra too. But you can get exactly WHAT YOU WANT...not just "what comes with the kit". Gibraltar..DW...Pearl...etc
        8 piece DIY Acrylic http://www.quartzpercussions.com/, 2x2Box DrumIt5, Gen16 4xDCP, Acrylic&Gen16 Conversions http://stealthdrums.com/Home_Page.html, Sleishman Twin-QuadSteele hybrid http://drumagination.com/ , Gibraltar&DrumFrame rack, DW9502LB, Midi Knights Pro Lighting http://jeredsystems.com/index.php
        http://www.airbrushartists.org/DreamscapeAirbrushRealm

Comment

Yeah, I'm probably not going to go for a custom rig. I have enough to think about. Being a guitarist and not a drummer and not having history with the product, to me, the TD-30 sounds absolutely stunning. But it's like a bum trying to tell the difference between a $10 bottle of wine and a $500 bottle of wine.

Comment

Yeah, I'm probably not going to go for a custom rig. I have enough to think about. Being a guitarist and not a drummer and not having history with the product, to me, the TD-30 sounds absolutely stunning. But it's like a bum trying to tell the difference between a $10 bottle of wine and a $500 bottle of wine.
            hehehehe.....Well then....just buy the KV kit...the BUZZ will soon follow. You'll have a blast...especially once Vex gets a few packs built for it.
            8 piece DIY Acrylic http://www.quartzpercussions.com/, 2x2Box DrumIt5, Gen16 4xDCP, Acrylic&Gen16 Conversions http://stealthdrums.com/Home_Page.html, Sleishman Twin-QuadSteele hybrid http://drumagination.com/ , Gibraltar&DrumFrame rack, DW9502LB, Midi Knights Pro Lighting http://jeredsystems.com/index.php
            http://www.airbrushartists.org/DreamscapeAirbrushRealm

Comment

Originally posted by fulrmr(Daniel) View Post
              hehehehe.....Well then....just buy the KV kit...the BUZZ will soon follow. You'll have a blast...especially once Vex gets a few packs built for it.
              I agree, even if the sound quality is worse, it feels like it's on a different level than yamaha. Maybe it's all the hype on namm and whatnot but that's how it seems to me. You have the option to go VST later on as well since you already have the gear and then you will have both the most accurate triggering AND the best sound.

Comment

So VST is a type of software like toontrack? I'm assuming you load that onto my mac? Sorry I'm an idiot when it comes to this stuff. Or does the VST load into the Roland TD30 brain?
                Last edited by jamesfarrell; 01-25-12, 12:09 PM.

Comment

So VST is a type of software like toontrack? I'm assuming you load that onto a PC? Sorry I'm an idiot when it comes to this stuff.
                  Yes, toontrack's (which is actually the company) superior 2.0 and EZdrummer are examples of VSTs. Go to the VST and SAMPLE section of our forum, and read the VST PRIMER; which is a sticky....
                  TD9+6v module, KD-8, custom Diamond Electronic 12" snare + 2x8" + 2x10" toms, PD-85, 4xPD8, 2xCY8, CY-5, CY-12r/c, Pearl P902 double pedals, Diamond Electronic COWBELL!
                  HPD-10 ATH-50M phones and 4 Vex Packs for the TD-9

Gibson Les Paul. + pod xtl, Norman acoustic, Fender J-Bass + gt10b

Clavia Nord Stage 2 Synth/Stage Piano Samson SR850 'phones

cubase, garritan personal orchestra, JABB, symphonic choirs, Sibelius, reason 6.5, IPAD 2 with lots of soft synths...

three shelter cats

Comment

I say save the 2g's and buy a Yamaha dtx950k and pair it with laptop/vst/sound card. Module sounds don't even come close to drum VST for me, just look up the videos and you will see. I love Addictive Drums because its so easy to use but there are lots of others you can try.

Comment

But you can't load the VST's into the roland module right? I'm not against it, just that it's a pain in the ass having drums and a pc as well into the PC system. Module > PA is easier you know. But I understand the premise, the VST software sounds superior to the preloaded sounds in the Roland TD-30 module right?

Comment

James, what kind of music do you play? How soon do you think your band would be playing out?
                        Alan

Comment

But you can't load the VST's into the roland module right? I'm not against it, just that it's a pain in the ass having drums and a pc as well into the PC system. Module > PA is easier you know. But I understand the premise, the VST software sounds superior to the preloaded sounds in the Roland TD-30 module right?
                          Right, you cannot load VSTs into a Roland. 2box allows you to do that to some extend. We are still arguing about just how much, if any, VSTs sound better than the TD30.
                          TD9+6v module, KD-8, custom Diamond Electronic 12" snare + 2x8" + 2x10" toms, PD-85, 4xPD8, 2xCY8, CY-5, CY-12r/c, Pearl P902 double pedals, Diamond Electronic COWBELL!
                          HPD-10 ATH-50M phones and 4 Vex Packs for the TD-9

Gibson Les Paul. + pod xtl, Norman acoustic, Fender J-Bass + gt10b

Clavia Nord Stage 2 Synth/Stage Piano Samson SR850 'phones

cubase, garritan personal orchestra, JABB, symphonic choirs, Sibelius, reason 6.5, IPAD 2 with lots of soft synths...

three shelter cats

Comment

We play what I call Hellbilly, my bassist calls it country punk. It's sort of Johnny Cash meets Tom Waits meets Heavy metal. No one tune is really the same. We're pretty much ready to play out. Just got rid of a drummer. 1/2 the time the guy couldn't keep his eyes open because of percs, booze, pot. I mean I'm all about pot, but I'm serious about the music. I can't drink before I play. Check out his kit. LOL. We bugged him for 3 months to buy heads. He finally bought heads and we listened to the recordings of the drums dry, they sounded like crap and his timing was way off. I offered to buy a drum set for the practice space so he could work on the tunes at home as he'd leave his set at my house. So basically he'd practice when we were recording.

So he got all offended when I offered to buy a new kit. I mean any kit he wanted. I'm spending 50k on renovating our practice space as well. This is why I want some brand new high end drums in there. I need to control the volume though. My wife is super 100% supportive of the music, but the drums bother her a little. But this guy had no dynamic either. He only knew how to wail on the drums. I could never hear myself or the bass player either.

Like I said, I'm not opposed to having a real kit as well, but I believe the there's some drummers out there that wouldn't mind playing on a TD-30 kit for practice. Hell, I'll even give them the F'N kit if they make a commitment to the band and music. Why? Because the tunes rock with drums. It's all come together when I heard the songs with drums. IT's just finding a good drummer that is not a f***head that is the problem. I mean we're wasting our time recording. I bought a $1000 interface to record his drums and told him we'd appreciate it if he could help us out with the cost and he says nothing and just walks away. Then we record and he's so messed up he can't keep his eyes open.

A**holes like this guy give drummers a bad rap. But I know we'll find a good guy, I know it.

Talk about a sh|t kit ha? Tape and moon putty, no bottom heads.

We're basically ready to play out, need to train a new drummer with the tunes though. Sucks, I'm having no luck. Everyone wants metal or hip hop or cover bands. Most of our stuff is original and I know, it's rough doing originals, but we got a real good "rock the floor boards" vibe with our tunes. If we had a solid drummer we could do some damage.

www.reverbnation.com/federalhog

Last edited by jamesfarrell; 01-25-12, 01:17 PM.

Comment

Alright, this is coming from a guy with 35 years of experience and I think I get where you are and where you want to go.

That said, I think taking the VST route is not the right choice for you. There are too many variables and way too much of a learning curve; not only for you, but for any drummer expected to join, learn and tote that kit to gigs and ensure it runs properly. If you were to tell me you were turning this rehearsal space into a studio or something, I might have an alternative optional opinion on that, but the fact is you want a top quality, plug n' play, ready to go setup.

Honestly, the TD-9, 12, 20, 20X and 30 all fit this hole if you ask me. I noticed you had one tune with brushes. If you feel a need for different feels and sounds like that, then I'd focus on the 12, 20, 20X and 30. I'm basing all this on the music you guys play and what the kit will be used for. Just because you have $10k for a kit, it doesn't necessarily mean you need to spend it all on the biggest, baddest ass kit available. You have an opportunity to buy a flagship kit and save a lot of money. Hell, it sounds like you have the option to buy a practice kit and an A kit if you really want one.

If I were you, I'd be looking for a TD-20 or 20X setup at a lower price. It will still MORE than get the job done. It offers generally the same setup, pads, etc. that 30 offers. At the same time, The 12 can easily get the job done as well.

Take some time to check out videos on YT on all these kits I mentioned. Look for videos of them in action. Hell, search for "V Expressions" on YT and you'll see lots of people gigging with sounds very similar to what you're looking for.

If you truly think a 30 is a better long-term investment down the road; then by all means, go for it. My only concern is that the kit you do get might be a practice kit and that you hopefully end up with a killer drummer with their own kit. This will make it easier on everyone and he will still get his choice of what he likes to play live. Worst case scenario? With a 12, 20/X or 30, you have a killer kit that can get the job done regardless.

Hope that helps!
                              Alan

Comment

I would go for the td20x or 30. They are so much more real sounding than the 9 and 12 in my opinion. If you are recording get Superior drummer or BFD just for playback and mixing. You don't need to use it while tracking.

You could also get a real hi hat and ride that isn't too loud like the Paiste dark crisp hats . Audio Technica AT4041 mics are about the best overhead mics for $400-$500 pair if you need some for recording live cymbals.

I found it much easier to use E drums with real hi hats but it will dictate the volume in the room. It might be a good compromise if the drummer is not used to E drums.

Peter

Comment

Working...
                                X