Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Percpad & TD9 midi problems

Hi folks

Santa bought me an Alesis Percpad so I can have 4 percussion sounds to the left of my hihats. This is a great wee percussion pad. The size is great and it triggers really well. Its just what Ive been looking for as the other percussion pads / control pads etc are too big for what I need.

BUT...
    Im having trouble trying to set up my alesis Percpad with my TD9 via midi.

The percpad is brand new.
    The midi cable is connected between the module and the Percpad and works fully as Ive used it with my TMC6.
    The instructions tell me nothing about how to set up midi between moduule and percpad.

The only Midi channel on my TD9 that seems to give me any sound when I play my percpad is channel 10.

When I hit my percpad, it registers a hit on the module either H or R. If I Select INSTRUMENT on my TD9 after hitting the percpad, I can change the sounds on my percpad. HOWEVER, when I select a different TD9 kit, it also changes the percpad sounds too. I dont want this to happen. I change kits all the time on my TD9 and dont want to have to setup my percpad every time I change kits.

How do I set my Percpad up so that it doesnt need reconfiguring every time I switch kits on my TD9???

Cheers in advance for any help given!
    TD9 - V2 UPGRADE - MASTERS 50 VEXPACK - TMC6 - CHROME DIXON AND GIBRALTAR RACK - 12" CARRERA SHELL CUSTOM SNARE - 2 10" CUSTOM TOMS - 2 12" CUSTOM FLOOR TOMS - TRIGGERA KRIGG BASS PEDAL - CY12RC RIDE - 2 CY12RC CRASHES - TRIGGERA D11 11" SPLASH - 2 KIT TOYS SPLASHES - PCY130 - TRIGGERA D14 14" CHINA - ATH-M30 HEADPHONES - eCOWBELL -YAMAHA MG102C MIXER

if you want to use the sounds of the td9, the perc pad must send on channel 11, not 10. If you can't change the midi channel, then you will have to use the percpad's own sounds -if it has any -, via the mix in...
    TD9+6v module, KD-8, custom Diamond Electronic 12" snare + 2x8" + 2x10" toms, PD-85, 4xPD8, 2xCY8, CY-5, CY-12r/c, Pearl P902 double pedals, Diamond Electronic COWBELL!
    HPD-10 ATH-50M phones and 4 Vex Packs for the TD-9

Gibson Les Paul. + pod xtl, Norman acoustic, Fender J-Bass + gt10b

Clavia Nord Stage 2 Synth/Stage Piano Samson SR850 'phones

cubase, garritan personal orchestra, JABB, symphonic choirs, Sibelius, reason 6.5, IPAD 2 with lots of soft synths...

three shelter cats

Comment

Hi Saku

Ive just checked Saku and I apologise my TD9 is on Channel 11, not 10 as I said in my first post.

Am I going about this the right way? I never had any problems with my TMC and connecting that via midi.

I use my TD9 to jam along to my ipod, so I want to use the mix in with my ipod, not the percpad.

Id also like to use the TD9 sounds and not the sounds from the Percpad if poss.

cheers again for any advice

Kenny
      TD9 - V2 UPGRADE - MASTERS 50 VEXPACK - TMC6 - CHROME DIXON AND GIBRALTAR RACK - 12" CARRERA SHELL CUSTOM SNARE - 2 10" CUSTOM TOMS - 2 12" CUSTOM FLOOR TOMS - TRIGGERA KRIGG BASS PEDAL - CY12RC RIDE - 2 CY12RC CRASHES - TRIGGERA D11 11" SPLASH - 2 KIT TOYS SPLASHES - PCY130 - TRIGGERA D14 14" CHINA - ATH-M30 HEADPHONES - eCOWBELL -YAMAHA MG102C MIXER

Comment

Originally posted by KennyinDundee View Post
        Hi Saku

Ive just checked Saku and I apologise my TD9 is on Channel 11, not 10 as I said in my first post.

Am I going about this the right way? I never had any problems with my TMC and connecting that via midi.

I use my TD9 to jam along to my ipod, so I want to use the mix in with my ipod, not the percpad.

Id also like to use the TD9 sounds and not the sounds from the Percpad if poss.

cheers again for any advice

Kenny
        you will have to check the percpad's documentation - can you change the midi channel it sends on to 11? With a low-end product like that, it might be fixed on 10, which is the standard drum part channel.
        TD9+6v module, KD-8, custom Diamond Electronic 12" snare + 2x8" + 2x10" toms, PD-85, 4xPD8, 2xCY8, CY-5, CY-12r/c, Pearl P902 double pedals, Diamond Electronic COWBELL!

cubase, garritan personal orchestra, JABB, symphonic choirs, Sibelius, reason 6.5, IPAD 2 with lots of soft synths...

three shelter cats

Comment

Hi Saku and thanks for the replies.

Theres no way to change the channel it sends on unfortunately and the documentation with the pad is useless. There also nothing on the Alesis site about midi with a module.

Eek, what am I going to do?

Kenny

Comment

Hi Saku and thanks for the replies.

Theres no way to change the channel it sends on unfortunately and the documentation with the pad is useless. There also nothing on the Alesis site about midi with a module.

Eek, what am I going to do?

Kenny
            easier to say what you are NOT going to do, and that is trigger the td9's sounds, unless you want to go to the expense of a midi box that can change its output channel....to use the Perc's own sounds, if it doesnt have a mix in (if it does, connect ipod to pad mix in to td9 mix in), and you dont want to buy a small mixer, then put your music files on a usb stick (your ipod might work) and take advantage of the v2 upgrade and play the songs through the usb connector, freeing the mix in for the percpad.

This last suggestion by way of Occam's Razor....

three shelter cats

Comment

Sheesh!

Is it possible to buy a cable that has a 3.5mm jack (ipod end) to a usb (module end) and that would work?

Are all percussion pads like this? I.e. Alesis percussion pad, Control pad etc?

cheers Saku once again!

Kenny

Comment

Sheesh!

Is it possible to buy a cable that has a 3.5mm jack (ipod end) to a usb (module end) and that would work?

Are all percussion pads like this? I.e. Alesis percussion pad, Control pad etc?

cheers Saku once again!

Kenny
                You're welcome !

hm, are the songs on your ipod in AAC or Mp3? Only Mp3 will work...so use Itunes to convert them to mp3. you dont want to connect the 3.5mm headphone jack to the usb in, you want to use the same usb cable what goes inbetween the ipod and the computer, when you are loading songs on it....go HERE and read the last FAQ for a list of compatible USB sticks, if the ipod doesnt work..

more expensive percussion pads would allow you to change their midi channel. LESS expensive TD modules allow you to change the channel they listen on, but not the td9 but I dont know what Alesis ( a low end line) product would allow you to do that. I expect that the korg wavedrums do, as well as the roland hpds (great fun they are!) and spds....

three shelter cats

Comment

Saku

Ok, I will try connecting the ipod to the usb using the special ipod usb cable as most of my music is in mp3 format and try the mix in for the Percpad using the percpad sounds.

I must say, this isnt what I was expecting from the pad. I was expecting to be able to use the percussion sounds of my module to create a 4pad percussion set.

Very disappointing

Thanks Saku for taking the time to help me with this. Is there a cheap-ish percussion pad that could use the TD9 sounds via midi Saku? Is there one you recommend?

cheers

Kenny

Comment

You should understand it's not all the PercPad's fault. Roland implements MIDI on the TD-9 to trigger the selected kit sounds (the one you've currently playing) on channel 10 and the standard "GM Kit" on channel 11, so either will work BUT channel 10 will of course trigger different sounds with each kit change, this is by design! After all, you want the sounds of any additional pads to trigger the same flavor of sound as the kit you are playing most of the time. In cases where you want to trigger the same sound from each trigger, no matter what kit is selected, you'd use channel 11 and trigger the standard GM kit sounds and re-map instruments as necessary. You should look into an Alesis ControlPad, you can get one on eBay for under $125, maybe $100. 8 pads and it can send on ANY channel, selectable per-pad if desired...

Jack
                    Roland TD-9SX v2, Alesis ControlPad, M-Audio Fast Track Pro, SONOR X1 Studio, Tascam 24 Track

Comment

hi Jack

Thanks for the reply.

The percpad does not respond on channel 11, only channel 10 unfortunately. It seems like this pad is useless for what I want it to do.

I see you have a control pad. When connected via midi, does this allow you to keep the same sounds even when you change kit on your module? If so, then this is what I want and I will sell the percpad.

MY VERDICT: The percpad is quite a nice piece of kit for the money if all you want it to do is use it as a small drumkit. It's completely useless as a 4pad percussion unit when midi'd up to a TD9! However, no where on the internet will give you this info as Ive scoured for hours on this subject.

Kenny

Comment

hi folks

To add insult to injury for the percpad, I've just discovered that when I change sounds on the top two pads of the percpad, it changes the bass and hihat pedal sounds when your paying your kit! So for example, I changed the top left pad on the percpad to sleighbells, my hihat pedal changed to sleighbells???

Anyone want to buy a brand new percpad, still boxed, only tested!

Frustrating!

Comment

If the Control Pad sends on channel 11, as Jack says it does, then you would choose what sounds are associated with its pads on the td9...these would be global, ie if you change td9 kit, the sounds for the Control Pad would stay the same.

three shelter cats

Comment

Originally posted by saku View Post
                            If the Control Pad sends on channel 11, as Jack says it does, then you would choose what sounds are associated with its pads on the td9...these would be global, ie if you change td9 kit, the sounds for the Control Pad would stay the same.
                            Exactly. The ControlPad is flexible enough to do what he wants...

Jack
                            Roland TD-9SX v2, Alesis ControlPad, M-Audio Fast Track Pro, SONOR X1 Studio, Tascam 24 Track

Comment

hi folks

To add insult to injury for the percpad, I've just discovered that when I change sounds on the top two pads of the percpad, it changes the bass and hihat pedal sounds when your paying your kit!
                              Yes, this is because you are sending program change data, not just note data. You should understand how MIDI works or you may get frustrated as it has the potential to simply send notes or control everything through program and SYSEX data. In this case, it MAY be possible to simply transmit MIDI note data and not program changes...

Jack

Comment

Working...
                              X