Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

SPD-SX - software issues :( + first impressions.

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SPD-SX - software issues :( + first impressions.

Got my new SPD-SX on Wednesday and I'm very impressed with the hardware. Simpler to use interface than the SPD-S for working directly in the machine. The samples they've chosen to include aren't impressive but I didn't expect them to be either. I've got my own to replace them with anyways. The added outputs (there are an extra assignable 2 now) look like they're going to be useful and for those who want to use it as a brain, there are 3 external pad inputs so you could have a total of 6 external pads hooked in..

The manual for it is much better written than the SPD-S as well... for noobs to this technology it's going to make their life much easier

The biggest problems are:
    1) the driver install routine doesn't complete properly. The driver installs so that I can access it via USB but the installer stops at the "Ready to install driver. Please use the USB cable to connect" etc etc and won't go any farther. Which means the controls mentioned in the manual which should be accessible via the Win7 Control Panel doesn't showing up.... At least it asks if I want to use the uninstall routine (which you don't if you wish to retain the driver) rather than just self uninstalling.

2) the Wave Manager software is buggy. It installs fine, but anything other than the main window shows up at an angle of about 2 o'clock on my laptop. The buttons work in these sub windows but it's impossible to use because the graphics are all askew. I contacted Roland UK about this but I have no idea how quick they are going to be with bug fixing and new updates (not very from my previous experiences though....lol)

The good points with the software is that drag and drop is gonna make adding samples via the Wave Manager extremely quick!!!

I'll hopefully add more to this as I start using it and getting my head around the nuances and I'm sure others will kick in with their 2 cents worth.

sox
    On YouTube: Playing Drum'n'Bass live with TD12 and SPD-S: Gig in Budapest
    With TD20-KX on SoundCloud
    Now sporting a TD30KV kit....
    "Trust Me, I'm a Professional"

Hi,

Some spd-sx system issue:

When using Pad Check button to play each of the Waves in the WAVE LIST, after a while the unit Jam\freeze completely, and had to unplugs the spd-sx

In the WAVE LIST from the PATCH Quick Menu, after playing more than one Wave with the Pad Check button, after the KIT and PATCH pages start showing a weird graphics of 9 boxes with numbers. This can only be fixed by SETUP INIT.

I do hope they will bring back the velocity switch, rights now the Sub wave are not usefull, most spd-sx users have this complain, merging wave was possible without the sub, since spd-s.
    Last edited by Chris K; 12-18-11, 05:30 AM.
    Regards
    Chris K

DW Collector Drum, Roland TD-15, Spd-SX, Yamaha Pmc1 midi brain

Comment

Well, after spending about 5 hours editing the samples I had recorded from the SPD-S up into individual samples, and then going through some of my sample library (about 15gb...lol) I managed to get a bunch loaded onto the SPD-SX.
      I didn't have the issue of the graphics being all askew on my desktop in the studio so I'm not sure why my more powerful laptop one has issues with it....

The Wave Manager is great for creating various categories for your sounds and then dragging+dropping the samples on the separate pads but that's about it.... There is no way to access the various parameters of the unit via software which is a real oversight IMHO. I had to then go into the unit to assign loop/one shot functions to each pad independantly as well as MIDI channels etc etc.. Fair enough, the interface in the SPD-SX is really straightforward and pretty easy to get around but it would have made sense to be able to access ALL of this through the software. The software interface just seems weirdly old school (like something that was done 10 years ago) and done on a low budget... almost like an afterthought.

I found that triggering the SPD via my TD20-SX kit it is EXTREMELY sensitive to MIDI ON notes... much more than the SPD-S. Any touch at all from the snare pad seemed to trigger mega hits from the SPD-SX. I tried changing the triggers from the TD20 but then it affects the global parameters across the TD which is not what I want. I'm gonna have to be really aware of .y snare hand when doing ghost notes!! Or, figure out a way to change the sample response in the SPD-SX (it's still new so I'm working my way through it....lol)

Not sure what exactly that Sub sample thing is for... like Chris says above, I can't really see the point either in the way its been implemented.

More as I explore later in the week

sox
      Last edited by sox; 12-11-11, 11:15 AM.

Comment

Hi Sox and Chris,

Thanks for the info!

I have the SPD-SX on my wishlist for Christmas to join my TDW-20 kit.
        I thought it could handle only 4 pads(head only) or two pads(head and rim).
        Also was thinking of triggering midi-notes to layer some sounds on my TDW-20 kit.
        Of course I want to load from my own sample library(a lot more than 15 GB).
        I hope the SPD-SX will do what I expect from what I hear and saw.

S.T.P.
        Roland TDW-20/HPD-15/ Korg Wavedrums/Vexpressions
        Vdrumlib.

Comment

Originally posted by S.T.P.Boston View Post
          I thought it could handle only 4 pads(head only) or two pads(head and rim).
          I thought so too. I think sox must be counting the foot switch input(s), which can only be used for ... foot switches.

Bruce
          • Roland TD-20+TDW-20, TD-8, SPD-S, PD-105, PD-6/8, CY-5/6/8/12, FD-6/8, KD-7/8, RT-10K, PM-30, DB-90
          • Hart Acupad, Hart Hammer, Pintech Dingbat, Sony MDR-7505, Shure E2, 512. Pacific CX, Zildjian A Customs.

Comment

Hi,
            yes you can use 4 pads(head only) or two pads(head and rim) + 2 footswitch, that can trigs sound too!

Spd-sx owner manual page 27
            http://www.rolandus.com/products/pro...roductId=1177#
            Regards
            Chris K

Comment

Originally posted by BarT View Post
              I thought so too. I think sox must be counting the foot switch input(s), which can only be used for ... foot switches.

Bruce

Whoops... Apologies.

sox

Comment

There is Roland SPD-20 sample (90mb)for Spd-Sx at roland web site in download at the bottom, but writed in spanish, probaly mistack from the espaniol little links.

The SPD-20 is recognized worldwide for its large collection of high quality sounds. We have created a collection of 15 classic kits from the SPD-20 for use in the SPD-SX. Download the file "Sample SPD-20 September Classic" V 1.00 and follow the installation instructions.

http://www.rolandus.com/products/pro...7&ParentId=72#

BE WARNED: Back your SPD-SX up before doing the install as it will wipe your internal memory
                I have used the translator be aware, it's in the PDF instruction

Installing the "Sample SPD-20 September Classic" V 1.00 IN SPD-SX
                Required Items
                SPD-SX
                Computer
                Folder "Roland" and its content files (This folder will come within the
                folder named "Sample SPD-20 September Classic" V 1.00 ")
                Memory Type USB Flash Drive (Clean - No Archives)
                1. Download and unzip the file: "Sample SPD-20 September Classic" V 1.00 and
                save to your computer.
                2. Connect USB memory to the computer and delete all files in the
                to ensure that memory is empty.
                3. Copy the folder named "Roland" and files to the memory contents
                USB Flash. Do not move any files in the folder, simply copy
                the USB flash drive.
                4. Connect the USB Flash Memory "Memory" of the SPD-SX.
                5. Press the "MENU" button in the panel SPD-SX.
                6. Select the "Utility" using the arrow buttons.
                7. Select the function LOAD (USB MEM) and press ENTER.
                8. Select the function and press ENTER ALL.
                VERY IMPORTANT - The process of adding the "Sample SPD-20 September Classic"
                V 1.0 blot Samples Kits or factory than in the SPD-SX. to the
                complete the SPD-SX back to factory but will include 15 KITS
                additional 20 to 35 numbers in memory. There will be a new
                category named SPD-20 will include all the samples used in these
                new KITS.If there are kits or user samples is important
                store before you follow this process. These need to be imported from
                again!
                9. V1.00 SPD20 file will be recognized by the SPD-SX. Press ENTER and SPDSX
                be prepared to import the file. Press ENTER again to start the
                process.
                10. When finished, the screen will say COMPLETED SPD-SX.
                11. Press ENTER to return to the main screen.
                Last edited by Chris K; 12-20-11, 12:07 AM.
                Regards
                Chris K

Comment

More info as I've gotten a bit deeper now.

I tried that Spanish SPD-20 sound set that Chris K mentioned above... BE WARNED: Back your SPD-SX up before doing the install as it will wipe your internal memory....lucky for me I'd backed it up the week before after spending ages sorting out the setups of a bunch of kits...

The problem I had of the triggering from the drumkit being overly sensitive turned out to be the poly/mono setting in the Kit Pad/Mode page. Sorted....

They don't explain the Quick function very well in manual and it's glossed over, but it's per section of the relevant software menus and once you know what you need access to regularly and quickly it will be very handy... especially at gigs. (I'm going to love the fact that pressing the Pad Check button cuts off the main outs and only sends sound to the earphones for gigs. I find myself forgetting what pad does what sometimes!!)

The Mute Group function also looks like it's going to be very useful to trigger a pad and cut all other assigned pads off . Setting up a song by gradually dropping pads in then just with one stroke dropping in a new section automatically cutting off everything... Wa-hey!!!

And, I'm still hankering after controlling the SPD-SX properly from the computer though, and not just to set up folders/categories and assign samples to pads... I hope someone out there can write something for it 'cause I can't see Roland doing it.... Something similar to VDrum Lib would be good where you could drag and drop kit samples between various kit setups. (That would've allowed me to add the SPD-20 sounds without wiping my previous work..)

sox

Comment

Originally posted by sox View Post
                    That would've allowed me to add the SPD-20 sounds without wiping my previous work..)

You can have the spd-20 wav, just export from the spd-sx to the computer, after you can added to your existant setup
                    Regards
                    Chris K

Comment

Just got the SPD-SX

I just got the SPD-SX a week ago. Had a day off work and spent about 9hrs on it and about 4hrs another day. I spent some time reading the owners manual before I got it. It's very easy to navigate. I have not hooked up the USB yet so will have to get back on that. I did experiment with the software, downloading some wav files and putting them on to a flashdrive and dumping it on the SPD-SX with no problems. One of the first things I did was to download some of my sounds from my TD-20. Will make a good backup should anything happen on a gig. I love the fact that you can record anything and I mean anything and make it a wave file. I will be using it for some backing tracks on my live gig. I used it this weekend for some percussion sounds. It seams pretty flexable. For the audio out but I made it simple and ran one cable out of the phone jack on the SPD-SX and into the MIX in on the TD-20. Mixed it with the TD-20 worked really well and just used one channel on the board and left me in control of how loud the SPD-SX would be in the FOH sytem. We use our own PA. system so our sound check time is very little. Will get back after I get to spend some more time with it. So far Im very happy with it.
                      Last edited by Out of Focus; 12-19-11, 10:58 PM.
                      Diamond Drums, Hart Dynamics
                      Roland TD-20 , Roland SPD-SX
                      Stlouisjoe1@youtube.com

Comment

Hi,
                        Be Aware,Using Pad Check button to play each of the Waves in the WAVE LIST, after some audition scrolling down the list, it can freez and you will have to unplug the power, pushing the button power off wont works, everything is freezed, no sound, no command button etc. I have been able to replicate this problem from another users that have the same issue, need system update from Roland. Also there is some sound lag\sound cut off when changing patch, with the spd-s it was direct change with no sound cut off.
                        Last edited by Chris K; 12-20-11, 11:03 AM.
                        Regards
                        Chris K

Comment

Hey,
                          I just spent a week with my SPDSX...
                          I agree on all above. Did not have any freeze yet. I ordered some triggers so I'll be fine for a couple of weeks...

aubout firmware or software updates: does enyone know how to get notice of it when there is some improvement? Is there an email list or something? Or do I have to come back to this forum every week? :-)

one other question: does anyone already installed the sample bank from the SP-20? this one: http://www.rolandus.com/products/pro...7&ParentId=72# I was wondering if it wipes the complete memory or only the standard Kits. If it delete's also my self made kits its not useful.

Thanks

bye
                          bas

Comment

hi everybody, I'm Paolo from Italy, so sorry for my English..
                            I got the spd sx one month ago and I'm really happy, it's a great machine!
                            The only problem is the following: when you edit the pad parameters into a kit (pad sens, pad function), they change into the other kits too! so if I want different pad parameters in different kits, I can't! that doesnt happen in the Yamaha dtxtreme IIs, where you can set different parameters for each kit you like.
                            I think that's a great issue..anybody knows how to fix it??
                            thank you guys!

Comment

yes it deletes all your custom kits, because it's a back up. I tried a week ago, I backed up my kits so I fixed that..
                              Originally posted by basernst View Post
                              Hey,
                              I just spent a week with my SPDSX...
                              I agree on all above. Did not have any freeze yet. I ordered some triggers so I'll be fine for a couple of weeks...

aubout firmware or software updates: does enyone know how to get notice of it when there is some improvement? Is there an email list or something? Or do I have to come back to this forum every week? :-)

one other question: does anyone already installed the sample bank from the SP-20? this one: http://www.rolandus.com/products/pro...7&ParentId=72# I was wondering if it wipes the complete memory or only the standard Kits. If it delete's also my self made kits its not useful.

Thanks

bye
                              bas

Comment

Working...
                              X