X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• iPad and drumming

Okey the age of tablets has arrived, the iPad offers some amazing opportunities for us drummer. But you need the find the right app. With over a gazillion apps to browse through, you'll never find that perfect app.

So we need to help each other, and point out those little gems.

But first let's talk about the use of a tablet in combination with drumming, and Vdrums in particular. I think a device like an iPad can bring us some handy features like a simple way of playing back samples. starting songs or effects in a real easy way. In a way it has a lot of similarities with and SPD besides the obvious fact that you can't hit it with your sticks.
    The ipad has an microphone in so like an SPD you could sample your own recordings(like the many many many voice recorder apps).

But to this day I havn't found the right app yet.
    Most of the apps in the appstore are sequencers, piano's drum machines dj crap ect. But I havn't found an app that let's you easily playback your own sounds.

I found this app.

The interface is just perfect, no bells and whistles just trigger pads. But unfortunately it doesn't let you play your own sounds

So fellow iPad owners, do you have some suggestions?

Resounder is a great app. I have used it for sound effects during a play…hooked my iPod into the sound board.

LINK
    • compact e kit: SPD 30, KD9, FD8, PD8, PD85, Yamaha PCY-65S, QSC K12, Mackie 402VLZ3 mixer
    • a kits: '90's 7pc Yamaha Maple Custom, Pearl Rhythm Traveler
    • snare drums: DW Edge 6x14, Tama Artwood 5x14, Brady 7x12, Tama 5x13, Pearl 4x13 & MRP 3x13

Comment

I'm not a big Apple fan, but if I found something like this that I could use at gigs for the iPad, I would consider buying it. Right now, I use something similar on an XP netbook but the tablet interface would be sweet if it were available.

Comment

Just got an iPad. I am using miniDrum PRO and miniSynth PRO. Both are separate apps but work together. You can record on both and import your own samples. I like miniDrum because as you tap on the pads it records it into a sequencer. Handy when you think up a beat and then go play it on your "real" edrums later.
        TD-15, TD-9KX, toolbox vex pack, DA200S, QSC K10, QSC Ksub, ATH-M40fs, ATH-M50, JH5 IEM's, SPD-S, Roland SH101, M-audio fast track pro, MOTU UltraLite mk3, Saffire Pro 40, Behringer 1622FX mixer. Axiom 25(2nd Gen) SD2, Electronic EZX, BFD Eco1.5, Reaper. Tama Speed Cobra, Gretsch Catalina Maple. Taye 13X4 Snare..
        Youtube Channel-http://www.youtube.com/user/guinness2u1

Comment

So, here it is a year later (to the day!)...and now I've joined the hip cool world and have a sparkly new ipad2. There are a zillion apps out there and it doesn't look like there's an easy way to really determine what would be appropriate (or any good). What I'd love to find is an app that allows me to simply write out drum notation for stuff that's in my head. If it happens to play it back, all the better. Has anyone here found any other useful apps?
          Stick twirling - because you obviously have mastered all other aspects of drumming already, right?

Comment

Originally posted by dschrammie View Post
            So, here it is a year later (to the day!)...and now I've joined the hip cool world and have a sparkly new ipad2. There are a zillion apps out there and it doesn't look like there's an easy way to really determine what would be appropriate (or any good). What I'd love to find is an app that allows me to simply write out drum notation for stuff that's in my head. If it happens to play it back, all the better. Has anyone here found any other useful apps?
            depends on what you want - drum education apps like drum dictionary and drum school, cool synths like tnr-i, amimoog, geo synth, lots of notation apps - though I can't recommend any - good reader for pdfs, which I use to read tab, storm sim to help you get to sleep, sporting news daily for american sports...
            TD9+6v module, KD-8, custom Diamond Electronic 12" snare + 2x8" + 2x10" toms, PD-85, 4xPD8, 2xCY8, CY-5, CY-12r/c, Pearl P902 double pedals, Diamond Electronic COWBELL!
            HPD-10 ATH-50M phones and 4 Vex Packs for the TD-9

Gibson Les Paul. + pod xtl, Norman acoustic, Fender J-Bass + gt10b

Clavia Nord Stage 2 Synth/Stage Piano Samson SR850 'phones

cubase, garritan personal orchestra, JABB, symphonic choirs, Sibelius, reason 6.5, IPAD 2 with lots of soft synths...

three shelter cats

Comment

Great, just when I had talked myself out of buying an iPad as Apple already has enough of my money (iPod, MacBook Pro, iMac).
              TD-12; TD-6V; FD-8; Hart Pro Toms, Snare, Bass; ECII hihat, crashes, splash & ride; Smartrigger crashes & china; Hart Hammer Pad; Pintech Dingbat; Iron Cobra double-bass.

"I never play the same thing twice...sometimes because I simply can't remember it." - John Paul Jones

Comment

I wish there were a way to record to WAV with a DAW-type app on the iPad. It seems like every app uses some Apple proprietary format, but all my regular stuff is in WAV (which is how I want it).

Comment

Sampletank together with an iRig midi controller looks very promising to me. I might just buy that iRig Midi controller and give it a shot.
                  TD-20 expanded | MDS-9 | VH-11 | CY-12C (2) | CY-13R | Yamaha PCY-13SC | PD-125 | PD-85 (3) | KD-9 | PD-8 (3) | Gibraltar Kick | Mapex HH-Stand | Basix seat | Medeli 30 WATT AMP | VExpressions: Professor, Engineers One, Program 3, Drummers Vol.1, Producers packs

Comment

Can an ipad/iphone/ipod touch and an iRig MIDI interface be used as the brain for an ekit? I'm not sure I'm understanding. Everyone says you can "record" drum tracks but can they be outputted to the headphone jack? This must be too good to be true. I'm looking at "Plan B" setups for live gigs in case the TD-12 goes down. I know I could just get a used brain (and perhaps should) but this whole IPad thing is interesting.
                    Vexxed TD-12K (Giggin' Kits) + Alesis 14" DMPad multi-zone ride ride + Kit-Toys 6" splash

What if the Hokey Pokey really *is* what it's all about?!?!??

Comment

double post...
                      TD9+6v module, KD-8, custom Diamond Electronic 12" snare + 2x8" + 2x10" toms, PD-85, 4xPD8, 2xCY8, CY-5, CY-12r/c, Pearl P902 double pedals, Diamond Electronic COWBELL!

cubase, garritan personal orchestra, JABB, symphonic choirs, Sibelius, reason 6.5, IPAD 2 with lots of soft synths...

three shelter cats

Comment

ok, I'm back.

the irig is for guitar signals, isnt it? and only one feed.

To play an ipad, you would need a midi signal converter, such as a module, so you would use an ipad WITH a module rather than instead of. Alesis i/o and megadrums are options as well...
                        Last edited by saku; 08-07-12, 08:44 AM.

three shelter cats

Comment

would be nice to have a high quality app like superior drummer for i pad or the like. to midi up with a module.
                          sigpicRoland TD 30 module, TDW 20 BK, VH13 hi-hats, custom Gibraltar rack, V expressions, Iron cobra power glide double pedal, Cobra clutch, Iron cobra lever glide hi hat, Kit-toys, KC 500, BBE 482, Roc-N-Soc nitro. , Promark, pearl throne thumper.
                          Red DIY church - road kit with red sessions rack, vh12 hi hats, yamaha and kit-toys cymbals, DW T5000 hi hat, BBE 262,
                          butt kicker

Comment

This is what I found... http://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/irigmidi/

So with that interface and (insert app here) could I not have a very portable "Plan B"?
                            Vexxed TD-12K (Giggin' Kits) + Alesis 14" DMPad multi-zone ride ride + Kit-Toys 6" splash

What if the Hokey Pokey really *is* what it's all about?!?!??

Comment

Working...
                            X