Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Evans torque drum key : Review

Hello guys and gals

i bought this key last week and i thought to share some words about this product .What i did is that i tried 3 ways of tuning on 2 different snares ( a maple dw and a steel ludwig) and 2 toms sizes 12'' and 14''.I used evans ec2 batter heads on both toms and evans (can't remember the type) resonant heads.On snares i used the stock dw head on the maple shell and a remo head on the steel snare.
    So first i tuned by ear and it was crap as usual..
    Then i used the drum dial and the result was way better.
    And finally i used the torque key which took me much less time and it beat them all !!
    All drums sounded way better and the difference was noticeable from first stroke !
    The key is very easy to use.You set the desire tesnsion you want with a knob (clockwise tighter) and start tuning each lug untill you hear and feel the click.Same way on each lug.This way all lugs have excactly the same tension.
    Pros :
    1.Cheap
    2.Easy to use
    3.You can use it in the dark on stage
    4.Easy to carry
    5.Easy attach on the lugs
    6.Quick tuning (time is money..)
    6. Nice click sound

Cons :
    1. I will let you know when i find any

Conclusion :
    Welcome evans troque key,goodbuy drum dial...
    http://store.daddario.com/category/1...orque_Drum_Key
    Ex E-kits:
    ''Lernean Hydra'' ( a bounche of roland pads with a td-6 module)
    ''Lucy'' (Diamond electronic drums with a td-12 module)
    current E-kit
    ''Cherry Gretschy Lady'' (Gretsch Catalina Ash 6 piece A to E kit-Roland td20 module-A to E cymbals)

A-kit
    " Mrs.Catalina'' (Gretsch Catalina maple 6 piece kit-Paiste signature+Masterwork custom made cymbals)

check out a few videos http://www.youtube.com/user/hampisdrums

Good review Hampis. My experience though is that those things usually end up living at the bottom of the kit bag after a few uses. There are so many different ways/methods to tune a drum. Here's a pretty good link too.
    http://www.evansdrumheads.com/EVMedi...ge?MediaId=177

Comment

I have a torque key but the main fault of it that I've found is that the threads of the bolts can have different levels of friction due to rust, dirt, defect, warps, etc and therefore require different levels of force to screw in or out. Since the torque key is uniform as to when it clicks out, to indicate that you've gone as far as you need to, you may not actually have even tuning because bold A is inherently tighter than bolt B.

If the bolt and mounts have perfect threads than, yes, the torque key is good stuff. If the drum doesn't have perfectly threaded bolts and mounts than the torque key is totally useless.

Comment

When I bought $1200 worth of new cymbals, the store threw one in for me, as we'd had a discussion about mesh head tension (well, when I say 'discussion', I was telling the drum section manager off for letting the demo kits sit on the floor with loose heads!!!).
        This key is actually great on mesh heads!
        Acoustically, all heads are now making the same tone, which in turn makes module settings much more consistent between drums.
        And it's quick - not that that is a problem when you hardly ever change heads...
        Anyway, I would agree that lots of factors influence tuning, not least of which will be the individual frictions between rods/lugs/washers, etc.
        But, like all torque wrenches, it's more accurate than you'll ever be.
        I mountain bike a bit and believe me, torque wrenches are totally underrated by hobbyists in any application. You can even use this key on hardware to avoid stripping threads or stretching smaller clamp parts.
        Acoustically speaking, the key is at least an excellent starting point.
        I tried it on my kids crappy little kit, and was astounded how much better that rubbish kit sounded afterwards!
        As Hamp points out, it will get you damn close (or spot on) before the need for fine tuning by ear comes into it.
        Best used for those who change heads frequently.
        Triggers: Roland TD-30; PD-125s, PD-105s; KD-120, VH-11, CY-15R, CY-14Cs, CY-12C, BT-1, Hart Dynamics Hammer
        Hardware: Gibraltar 9600 Series (SN/HH/Pedal), Short Booms, Tube Clamps, Grabbers, Road Series Chrome Clamps on 2 x MDS-9 Rack Tube sets
        Other: Roland SPD-S, Korg WaveDrum, Superior Drummer (all SDXs and 3 EZXs), Roland DP-2 Pedals

Comment

Sorry Hampis, but I'm 'comparatively' new to this board. Just stumbled across ericb's 2009 thread wrt drum tuning while googling something entirely different. I guess this is something that's had you baffled for some time. I'll stop posting links that you've probably already read.

Cheers,

Comment

Originally posted by OneFanToAnother View Post
            I have a torque key but the main fault of it that I've found is that the threads of the bolts can have different levels of friction due to rust, dirt, defect, warps, etc and therefore require different levels of force to screw in or out. Since the torque key is uniform as to when it clicks out, to indicate that you've gone as far as you need to, you may not actually have even tuning because bold A is inherently tighter than bolt B.
            I got an Evan Torque shortly after I started playing an A kit a year ago and I had the same experience. I haven't used it since, but I may give another try. I think you can use it to get the tuning near where it should be, but then have to fine tune it yourself. Basically the same as the Drum Dial, although I think the Drum Dial might get you closer as it reads the actual tuning of the head and not the resistance of the rods.
            Another thing was that I didn't had the right settings to use.
            E kit: TD-9KX with Diamond Electronic Drums 13" snare, VH-11 and v-cowbell
            A kit 2009: Tama Superstar Custom Rock Satin Cherry Burst and Masterwork Custom cymbals
            A kit 2010: Gretsch Catalina Ash Cherry Red and Masterwork Iris cymbals
            Some keyboards and a couple of guitars...and not enough time to play them...
            pictures...videos...collaboration videos

Comment

Originally posted by OneFanToAnother View Post
              I have a torque key but the main fault of it that I've found is that the threads of the bolts can have different levels of friction due to rust, dirt, defect, warps, etc and therefore require different levels of force to screw in or out. ......
              If the bolt and mounts have perfect threads than, yes, the torque key is good stuff. If the drum doesn't have perfectly threaded bolts and mounts than the torque key is totally useless.
              ^^^^This. I agree
              Roland TD-20XS-BK
              In search of funding for VEX packs
              Have sticks, Will travel

Comment

Great review.

I think torque keys, drum dials, ect. 'can' work for quickly getting a head close to the tuning you want but even then you still have to use your ear to get to the final tone your looking for. Tools like these are not really gimmicks in that they do work to get you close quickly but they also have their limitations.

It's kind of funny that in Evans own add for it's Torque Drum Key there's a link for a Drum Tuning Snare Lesson in which their own product isn't even used. Bob Gatzen is one of the best and never uses anything other than a standard drum key, drum stick, his ear and sometimes a tone generator.

After researching the whole drum tuning subject myself the majority of opinions are still that there is no other way but to tune and retune over and over using your ear until you finally get a true feel (ear) for it. I still suck at tuning but I've made great progress by watching Gatzen's videos and using a free online tone generator to keep my ear in tune while doing so.

http://www.youtube.com/user/bobgatzen?blend=3&ob=4

http://www.farleysessentials.com/pil...ne=chromatic_C

Comment

Working...
                X