Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yamaha XP120SD Snare On Roland TD-20

Is this possible?

I hit my snare so friggin' hard that the noise is becoming a problem. I'm wondering if the new design of the Yamaha XP120SD is a good pad for good response with lower noise than my 14" Pintech AX14S snare. I love my snare but I'm really interested in the new Yamaha pads.

Of course, I need to know if the new Yamaha pads work, to any degree, with Roland modules. I don't need every feature to transfer over, I just need the standard full function of the regular surface plus a properly functioning rim trigger. The tuning knob, 3rd strike zone, etc don't matter - though, I would hope that positional sensing still worked.

I'm sure that just the head would trigger. The two rims most likely not as Yamaha uses switches in the rims.
    Raptor
    Hebrews 11:6

Roland spd-30, Simmons DA-200s monitor, JBL 515xt
    Ludwig 4-piece Club Date in silver sparkle
    Future Ekit (5 piece Jobeky kit in Bubinga fade with 2box module)

Comment

Not sure if you can use the new DTX pads with Roland modules. They supposedly don't even work with older Yamaha modules. The DTX500 module is basically the DTXpress IV upgraded to handle the new pads. The DTX900 also seems to just be a DTXtreme III tweaked to handle the new pads (in fact, Yamaha offers a firmware upgrade for the DTXtreme III which basically turns it into a DTX900 and lets you use the new pads).

I'm not a techie so I can't really explain how it's done, but it seems that Yamaha has done something with these pads to make sure they're exclusive. Everything I've read about them says they only work with the new DTX modules. Nothing else.

Comment

You should be able to use the new pads, you would have to use a PD 9 or any dual zone rubber pad configuration that Roland has. You would only have Head and 1 rim trigger, most likely Rim 1 since Roland does not have 3 zone triggering with one stereo connection.

Best bet would be head to Guitar Center and switch the pads out on the TD20 kit and try it.

BTW, the new silicone foam head is super quiet and very comfortable to play. I absolutely love it.

Good Luck, Tom
        T.A. Knipe

www.EDrumForum.com Free and Open Forever and always

www.KnipeDrums.biz

http://www.vdrums.com/forum/album.php?albumid=198

Comment

^Nice. All I want is what I'd get from a regular PD-120: regular head trigger (preferably with position sensing) and regular rim hits (for cross stick and what-not).

I like my big ole 14" mesh snare - it looks good, triggers really well, etc - but I need something quieter. I just really get into it when playing and I like hitting the snare really hard, so I need something quiet. A 14" snare makes quite a significant amount of boom/bang/etc.

I also just really want to know how the new Yamaha pads feel. I don't think I'll ever be able to try them first hand since there's only two music places here and they don't carry much in the way of e-drums.

Comment

Originally posted by OneFanToAnother View Post
            ^Nice. All I want is what I'd get from a regular PD-120: regular head trigger (preferably with position sensing) and regular rim hits (for cross stick and what-not).
            One thing is for sure; you won't be able to get the "cross stick" zone to work for the Yamaha Pads in general with a Roland Module..

Comment

Anyone actually tried this? I'd like to try using it with HPD-15. Interested if rim would trigger.

Comment

I have. There should be an article in digitalDrummer one of these days with my review of the XP100SD.

Short answer as it pertains to the original question (how well does it work on a TD-20) is yes, it'll work fine. I tested it on my TD-12 so results on the TD-20 should be similar. You don't get the "constant" three zone capability the way you would on even Yamaha's most basic module (DTX450) but you can trigger the rim easily. If you have crosstick turned on, then the rim will play crossticks (but no rimshots). Turn off crosstick and you get rimshots.

Now, how that translates into the HPD-15, I have no idea. Assuming it has similar control features to the TD-12/20 for this specific thing, then sure, it'll work. I'd read the HPD-15 manual carefully before proceeding tho.

www.dauphinehotel.com
                www.myspace.com/rubberuniverse
                www.digitaldrummermag.com
                Mix and Match Heaven: TD-12 or EZDrummer, Diamond Drum 12" snare, Hart Acupad toms, Roland CY-5 mounted on a Hart Ecymbal II Pro Pedal, Hart Ride, Hart Acupad 8" bass, 2 Roland CY-14 crashes, two Concept 1 cymbals, a Yamaha PCY-10, all on a red Roland V-Sessions rack. Pads on hiatus: PD-7, Kit Toy Splash, Hart single-zone HH, Alesis DMPad ride and an entire Concept 1 kit.

Comment

Thank you for the reply Grog. Maybe you would know this as well. Would there be any difference in triggering XP120SD using DTX502 vs DTX700/900. Since DTX502 module is much cheaper, I am wondering if it will perform as well with this snare.

Comment

You should read my review of the DTX450 kit at digitalDrummer. Oh wait, I don't mention the XP100SD in that review. Heh heh, you should read it anyway.

I loved the XP100SD with the DTX400 module, thus, I'm guessing I'd love it just fine with the 502 module. "Difference in triggering" is too broad a statement. They'll trigger consistently across modules, that much I know from playing on the 450 for six months and then a brief stint with the TCS pads on a 900 module (http://vdrums.com/forum/showthread.p...t=Alan+Parsons).

Bottom line: An XP120SD will play real well on a DTX502 module.

I'm becoming such the Yamaha fan boy these days.

www.dauphinehotel.com
                    www.myspace.com/rubberuniverse
                    www.digitaldrummermag.com
                    Mix and Match Heaven: TD-12 or EZDrummer, Diamond Drum 12" snare, Hart Acupad toms, Roland CY-5 mounted on a Hart Ecymbal II Pro Pedal, Hart Ride, Hart Acupad 8" bass, 2 Roland CY-14 crashes, two Concept 1 cymbals, a Yamaha PCY-10, all on a red Roland V-Sessions rack. Pads on hiatus: PD-7, Kit Toy Splash, Hart single-zone HH, Alesis DMPad ride and an entire Concept 1 kit.

Comment

Allegedly, the DTX 502 triggers better than any of the Yamaha modules. Even though it is the cheap module, it has the newest triggereing algorithms and is optimized for VST use. Let us know if you try it out.

Comment

Working...
                      X