Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• will Yamaha PTX8 pads fit with a Simmons sd7k

I am about to go and buy a used Simmons sd7k,
    i see on Craiglist a great deal on 4 Yamaha PTX8 pads with drum pad and kicker for $100

Can I integrate these older yamahas into the sd7k?

Anyone want to tell me about their sd7k? and if it is expandable? upgradeable?

usable if i buy a better simmons like the sd9k in future...

School me please!

Got me intrigued, so did some Googling. The PTX8 is a tone-module not a pad.

At the time, Yamaha had a range of pads including some with built-in sounds, the ED10, which could also be used with the PTX8, via the Pad Out jack on the ED10. Assuming the ED10s are what you are getting (if so, then $100 seems a massive bargain as I would suggest that these would fetch big bucks with the current 80s retro scene), and assuming they are piezo-based (more than likely), then they'll work with *any* brain you care to choose.

It's more likely that you are talking about the other pads available at the time (mentioned in the PTX8 manual) which were PSD8, PTT8 and PBD8 models, which at a guess were snare, tom and bass pads (from the logic of the model numbers!). Again, these are likely to be piezo-based so will work with anything, but given that there is a specific snare pad - it might be two zone or something, so it depends on how that has been implemented.

http://www2.yamaha.co.jp/manual/pdf/...ynth/PTX8E.pdf
    http://www2.yamaha.co.jp/manual/pdf/...rums/ED10E.pdf

As to the Simmons, I'd rather buy a second-hand Yamaha or Roland than a new Simmons, as for me they're not real Simmons (as in made in St Albans, England - I had an SDS-4 (Combo) and an SDS-7 - my University was a mile away and they used to lend us stuff to play with as well), and just a bought marketing name. Thus they could stop making them any old time so may not have the longevity of Yammy or Roland stuff.

Me, I'm now off to find some ED10s!
    Last edited by electrodrummer; 10-23-09, 01:45 AM.
    Electronic kits since 1986...

Comment

Originally posted by Kinetic1 View Post
      I am about to go and buy a used Simmons sd7k,
      i see on Craiglist a great deal on 4 Yamaha PTX8 pads with drum pad and kicker for $100

Can I integrate these older yamahas into the sd7k?

Anyone want to tell me about their sd7k? and if it is expandable? upgradeable?

usable if i buy a better simmons like the sd9k in future...

School me please!
      Electrodrummer has some good info there on the PTX8. Good post. Are you buying an entire SD7K kit or just the module? If you are buy a new Simmons kit, I would go with the SD7PK (not the SD7K) or the SD9K (or SD9KR, the red version). Why these two kit you ask? Well, because the trigger pads on the 7PK & 9K are the new style pads which are much more reliable and feel better than the older style pads.

You asked if the Simmons is expandable or upgradeable. If you mean the module itself, no. Keep in mind most module are not expandable or upgradeable. The only module that I know of that are, are the original Roland TD-10, TD-20, Yamaha DTXtreem III, and the 2Box Drumit5.

Go to the Simmons website to hear samples of the drum modules.

http://www.simmonsdrums.net/

One more piece of advice. Try it before you buy it. Find a music store with different edrum kits and try them out. That way you will get a better feel for electronic drums.
      For more eDrum info, be sure to visit my web sites at:
      HellfireDrums.com & DMdrummer.com
      My current set-up: Alesis DM10 and Trigger I/O with modified/DIY pads

Comment

thanks guys!
        I am buying a gentle used sd7k.

can i replace the pads withthe new style that you speak of?

how about the cymbals? i will assume that if the module or brain isnt upgradeable then getting newer or lareger dual or triple zoned cymbals wont be possible on the sd7k either, right?

I look forward you more of your advice!
        Thanks again for helping this newbie!

Comment

as far as the yamaha pads, the pic showed 4 large 8" black pads with a green outline/ pinstripe around them, with a bass pad with kicker attached.
          The PTX8 brain module but no frame or cables...

so from what I have learned is that the sd7k has no extra input slots in the back for direct expansion, but would ( the new price of ) $75 be worth havingthe yamaha extra pads run as a separate module?

can they be intermixed or swapped or combined with a mixer?
          or just forgotten and spend my 75 on something else?

Comment

Working...
          X