Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

OSP DD-502 ELECTRONIC DRUM SET: How are pads?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OSP DD-502 ELECTRONIC DRUM SET: How are pads?

OK,
    I couldn't find much in a search, so I was wondering if anyone has tried these:

How are the pads? Has anyone tried them with a Roland brain? Here's why: I talked the guy at Sigler Music and he quoted me a price of $45USD for a kick assembly and $35USD for a tom/snare, and you can use a mesh head (all 8"). For me, this means that it would cost me roughly $75 to try the bass drum, in hopes of a quieter practice/better feel than my TD-3 rubber kick assy. I was looking into a DIY project, but if these things work, I'd rather not bother with that right now. I'm sure the brain is crap and the pads are not as well-constructed as Roland's, but for 75 bucks, it might be worth trying it.
    Any guidance is appreciated!
    Thanks!!
    -SJ
    P.S.: I see the chinese have licensed the Simmons name and are marketing this same (ok, strikingly similar) kit as a "Simmons" for about 50% more than what Sigler Music is charging on Ebay. http://www.musiciansfriend.com/produ...it-?sku=443369 Or maybe Simmons actually designed the kit and the chinese manufacturing group (or wherever they're made) are selling it under a different name? lmao

I bought a set of these pads and cymbal triggers from a guy off of eBay and used them for a while before my wife let loose the purse strings and I bought some Pintech's. The bass triiger is the same basic construction as the Hart 8" and the Pintech E-Gig pads. Very solid, room for double pedals, etc. I would compare the tom/snare pads (all single zone, BTW) to the Hart Prodigy pads, but these mount onto a standard L arm as opposed to the screw mount of the Hart's. The cymbal triggers are fine for single zone use as well and mount on standard cymbal arms.

The pads worked fine with my TD-10/TDW-1 as well as an Alesis DM5 that I am using.

I could sell you the bass pad for $50 and each tom pad for $25 if you wanted to go a little cheaper. These are in new condition and include both the original plastic heads and double ply mesh heads. If you wanted the three cymbal/hihat triggers, I could do those for $25 each as well. For the whole package, I would do $200.
    Roland TD-20, Roland/Pintech pads, Roland CY's.

Comment

I played the Simmons SD5k made by the same company

I emailed Randy at sigler music. I had noticed the brains on several of the Ebay drums were the same as the Simmons SD5K. The Osp DD-502 along with Verve SME-359,Koncepts SME-359,YOKI DD502, Millenium MPS-100,Legend DD502, (UK,model) all are made by Medeli Electronics Co.DD-502,DD-505,DD602

http://www.medeli.com.hk/products/dd/index.html

The model that looks like the the Simmons on the Medeli site apears to be the Medeli Electronics DD-505. Randy Told me the brain on the OSP is made by same company. The pads on the Simmons have the 8 inch rubber practice pad feel. The cymabals are round single zone. Some of the others above that are on Ebay have the practice pads and Cymbals look. I believe they are single zone also. The brain on the Simmons SD5k is user friendly for practicing but gigging it would be a nightmare. I was constantly having to reset the volume on the pads and cymbals constantly. I have not played the OSP so it might be different.

The other HK brands on Ebay looks like the Pintechs EZ module Vesrion 1 and II ( Medeli's DD-602) But the ebay's DD-602's have the less lug design on the pads unlike the OSP.These brands I have seen are Lloyd Audio LA7000, Borgi DD662,Kaysound DD602,Legend DD602. I have Heard the Simmons brain and the OSP. (The OSP Brain does sound better on Siglers video) I have not found none of the other Ebay brains with sound clips to compare the Pintech EZ module. I have noticed that the DD-602 on Ebay seem to go $100-$150 bucks more and people are paying for it. The manual for all the brains can be found here.

http://www.medeli.com.hk/downloads/index.html

Oh yea the Borgi modual on Ebay has Borgi "Pro" DD-662

They have the brain and drum setup manuals there. I hope this helped.
      I have an acoustic Pearl Export drumset I am thinkining about selling to get one of these. I might try to find someone to trade to. I need some E-drums.

Comment

Yeap, don't only look like them, it exactly is the DD-602 (Pintech EZ I mean). There are more company names selling DD-502 and DD-602, for example Hayman and Fame. Seen this so many times now.
        TD-20 / lots of DIY / Fame

Comment

Hmm... only the second time I have seen Borgi. While in Germany, I bought a Pro992... I don't if it has any ties with this Borgi, as it doesn't look like those at all. It has a big screen on it, with full words and all. Interesting...

Comment

Randy028 great post, It sounds like the OSP is a good deal and your not going to save that much more by going another route. I was comparing to the Simmons SDK which is $600 and no bass pedal at GC although a sales guy said he'd throw that in.

You can change the heads on both the SDK and the OSP so if I want to upgrade later that's an option. I also sounds like the sensitivity is fine for basic playing.

It's just a question if I want to pay 15% of sale price of $400 to ship.

thanks

Comment

Those new Simmons things are the same cheap stuff. If you compare amongst them, you won't find much differences, it's the same manufacturer after all. Did you sit down and play for half an hour or an hour to check on the sensitivity and dynamics?
              Do you have experience with acoustic drumming? If so, you should be able to notice the very small area of dynamics, especially compared with for example a Roland TD-3 set. In my opinion those cheap drums are more toys than instruments, although they are OK to start out and see whether you are actually interested in drumming or not. Yet a Roland TD-3 is not a bad investment either and not more money to be wasted, if you decide to stop. That is because you can easily resell them for a lot of money even after a few months of playing.

$0.02
              TD-20 / lots of DIY / Fame

Comment

This set is going for over 600 on Ebay I can't believe

OSP DD-502 going for over 600 bucks on ebay. Santa is getting ready I guess

Comment

Going to Hong Kong`

I will be going to Hong Kong in about a month. I will let you know what I find out about the DD-502's and how well they work/cost right from the manufacturer. I will not be posting anything again until December sometime, when I get back. I hope to get a couple of these set there.

Comment

The DD-502 is a pile. In about 20-25 hours of playing we have already had all three cymbals and one of the pads fail.

Comment

Brothers...these are junk.

It's been well documented here before.

Please use the search above and type in the dd502 model number. You'll see a slew of posts regarding this brand of drum. Its the same as the Simmons that GC is selling (Guitar Center bought the Simmons name and slapped it on this piece of crap) Ion had some based on this series etc.

E
                      www.mypvshop.com - your source for electronic cigs. Use coupon code "smokeless1" for 10% off every order!!!

Comment

I took a chance and picked up a set of the OSP DD-502's for Christmas for the kids (and me) to bang around on.

Some pros: The quality for the price is amazingly good. For $400 I got the rack, 5 pads (4 drums - 1 bass), 3 cymbals, a sound module, high-hat pedal, bass pedal, a throne and a dozen pairs of sticks. I looked at, and tried the Alesis, Yamaha's and Rolandís, but couldn't justify 2X, 3X, 4X the price for a bang-around set. I also checked out the "cheap" sets that were in this price range and these blew away the others. The sound selections aren't great but it aren't bad either. There are some realistic sounds in there.

Some cons: The drum heads are thin and prone to dimpling. They claim that the heads are interchangeable but don't try to put a Remo on it. The Remo has a beefier aluminum ring and there isn't adequate room below the rim of the snare or toms to tighten and stretch the head. I saw the comment about the OSP snare/tom going for $35; for my money, the Alesis DM5 Pro pad may be a better investment at $49 although I haven't seen if it's an 8" head yet. The bass pad DOES accommodate any 8" head. (The Remo Ambassador Ebony looks very cool!). I haven't looked but maybe Evans heads will work. The stand and hardware are NOT heavy duty enough for the road but for practice, itíll do. (Oh, BTW the $800 Yamaha uses the same stand). The sound module is definitely limited.

General Observation: I was really skeptical about the Chinese manufacturing but right out of the box, these things are a lot better than I imagined. As a Manufacturing R&D Engineer, the fit and finish are surprisingly good. The bass pad really impresses me... very sturdy and double pedal capable. I have heard of some complaints that the triggers fail after a while but I haven't experienced it yet... I'll keep you posted. The sounds are OK... they'll do. If you're a starter or an apartment dweller or just interested in trying an electronic set but the price tag of the "name brands" are too steep to justify, this could be a reasonable alternative.

I've bought a lot of different instruments in my time. I don't put out the BIG BUCKS because I don't play professionally any more. I weigh the price with the quality and the instrument's potential. If an instrument doesn't have potential and isn't playable, you're wasting your money. This kit fits my bill. It's FAR from being a GREAT SET but for my investment, it's a pretty good start.

One thing to remember... everything is upgradeable. Need a new snare?, a new module? Go for it! I'm already looking at what upgrades I can do and how cheaply I can get by. In the mean time, my kids and I are having a blast.

Comment

I gota Yoki and you are right about the pads dimpeling .I replaced the skins with a mesh head conversion kit I got on Ebay works great

Comment

Originally posted by Krystos View Post
                            I bought a set of these pads and cymbal triggers from a guy off of eBay and used them for a while before my wife let loose the purse strings and I bought some Pintech's. The bass triiger is the same basic construction as the Hart 8" and the Pintech E-Gig pads. Very solid, room for double pedals, etc. I would compare the tom/snare pads (all single zone, BTW) to the Hart Prodigy pads, but these mount onto a standard L arm as opposed to the screw mount of the Hart's. The cymbal triggers are fine for single zone use as well and mount on standard cymbal arms.

The pads worked fine with my TD-10/TDW-1 as well as an Alesis DM5 that I am using.

I could sell you the bass pad for $50 and each tom pad for $25 if you wanted to go a little cheaper. These are in new condition and include both the original plastic heads and double ply mesh heads. If you wanted the three cymbal/hihat triggers, I could do those for $25 each as well. For the whole package, I would do $200.
                            Do you have any of these tom pads and cymbal triggers left?
                            I would be very interested.
                            Thanks.

Comment

I have the dd 502, and it works fine for me. The pads are good at picking up fast notes, but the cymbals are CRAP. They drop 32nds at 140 btm, and have a really inconvinient trigger placement that makes anything on top of the trigger REALLY loud, and anything an inch away inaudible.
                              Anyways, I want new cymbals, but I need to know what is compatible and affordable (I am looking at no more than $50 per cymbal). What is good at picking up notes and has good distribution trigger-wise?

Comment

Working...
                              X