X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roland TD-4 with the VH-11 and superior drummer

Here are some tips for setting this up. Following various instructions out there on various threads (usually for slightly different configurations) did *not* work for me. Using superior drummers "e-drums" preset will not work. here's what I did:

1. TD-4 pad setting: set it to VH-11.

2. Plug in some headphones to your TD-4 and make sure it sounds good. You might want to make some minor adjustments to sensitivity and look at the VH11 manual to make sure your hats are physically setup right. I didn't get much out of making any of these adjustments though. Defaults were good. The point is, if it's not working without superior drummer, you should straighten that out before adding another layer of complexity.

3. In superior drummer follow the instructions for setting up hats in the manual "Hi-Hat mapping" and "Pedal Correction" This involves doing the following in the Mapping tab:

- start by deleting any mapping that is there.

- Configure the hihatCtrl by manually entering "CC4"

- Use the "Learn" function for the "Closed Pedal" articulation (stomp on the foot pedal)

- "Learn" the "HatsTrig" articulation, with the pedal fully closed (tight) strike the edge of the hat. Repeat the "Learn" function several times, but each time open your hat slightly more until you've "Learned" it the full range of the pedal.

- Do the same for the HatsTipTrig articulation, but this time, strike the bow/inner part of the hat while doing the learning.

- Most importantly: I found that the TD-4 was only generating a max control value of CC4 of 99. This means, superior would never fully close the hat. You need to follow the manual on "Pedal Correction" where it describes this common problem. For hihatCtrl you need to set the "Velocity Ctrl" graph so the "IN" slider that is in the lower right corner down slightly to about 100. Move it, then try the full range of the hat to get it to register. As you slide it down, you should hear the hat getting tighter sounding in the closed position.

- you may find that adjusting the curve points on that velocity control graph makes the open to close more smooth.

- In the Construct tab, you can set the volume level of each articulation (e.g. tight, closed, open 1, open2, open3, open4) if you click on "edit articulation only" you can actually adjust the volume of, as in my case, open 1,2,3 which where a little too loud compared to tight and closed for me.

OK. the above got me from totally hosed to working pretty well, but I'd still like to tweak it some more. Sometimes when I foot chick, I get a ghost closed strike as well, need to figure out what that is.

hi I'am new here at the forum.. I'am interested with your td4 and superior drummer set-up and connections.
    I'am using a roland td4kx.. and I wanted to trigger ez drummer on my laptop using ez reaper and other daws.. will it be possible for td4kx to do this since it has only one (1) midi out port.. and no midi in port.. a reply will be greatly appreciated..

Comment

Originally posted by backbeat13 View Post
      hi I'am new here at the forum.. I'am interested with your td4 and superior drummer set-up and connections.
      I'am using a roland td4kx.. and I wanted to trigger ez drummer on my laptop using ez reaper and other daws.. will it be possible for td4kx to do this since it has only one (1) midi out port.. and no midi in port.. a reply will be greatly appreciated..
      yes. you do not need midi in, and you only need one midi out port.
      TD9+6v module, KD-8, custom Diamond Electronic 12" snare + 2x8" + 2x10" toms, PD-85, 4xPD8, 2xCY8, CY-5, CY-12r/c, Pearl P902 double pedals, Diamond Electronic COWBELL!
      HPD-10 ATH-50M phones and 4 Vex Packs for the TD-9

Gibson Les Paul. + pod xtl, Norman acoustic, Fender J-Bass + gt10b

Clavia Nord Stage 2 Synth/Stage Piano Samson SR850 'phones

cubase, garritan personal orchestra, JABB, symphonic choirs, Sibelius, reason 6.5, IPAD 2 with lots of soft synths...

three shelter cats

Comment

Working...
      X