X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Megadrum/Computer Interface question

I have searched up and down and I have not been able to figure out if I need something like the Presonus 22 VSL in order to connect a Megadrum module to my Windows 7 laptop.

I am a newbie in this area but I am investigating replacing my TD-9 with a megadrum/VST solution.

It appears that at a minimum I can do something like this:
    (Drum Triggers) => (Megadrum) => (USB cable) => (Laptop with BFD2) => (Headphones/monitor)

However, I keep reading about on-board sound cards not being up to the task which leads me to believe that I have to do something like this:
    (Drum Triggers) => (Megadrum) => (MIDI cable) => (Presonus 22 VSL) => (Laptop with BFD2) => (USB Cable) => (Presonus 22 VSL) => (Headphones/monitor)

Any suggestions would be appreciated...

Thanks,

Cor

Hey cruiten I have a megadrum and have it working on my windows 7 laptop, can you tell me a little more about what you are trying to accomplish? I can tell you right now I don't have any additional sound cards besides what is built in and everything works. I am using BFD2 with my megadrum and it all works.

Comment

Russ15,

Thanks for your response.

I am not trying to accomplish anything special. I am simply looking to replace my TD-9 module for a more "realistic" sound experience.

It sounds that you are not suffering from any latency issues with your setup. I could have sworn that I have read that most on-board PC sound cards suffer from poor latency issues; this is why I am starting my planning now so that I can be sure that I will not have to deal with those types of problems...

If I understand you correctly, your Megadrum module is connected to your computer via a USB cable, and you plug your headphones into the computer's headphone jack. Is my understanding correct?

Also, do you have any type of powered monitor that is connected to the computer?

Thanks again,

Cor

Originally posted by Russ15 View Post
      Hey cruiten I have a megadrum and have it working on my windows 7 laptop, can you tell me a little more about what you are trying to accomplish? I can tell you right now I don't have any additional sound cards besides what is built in and everything works. I am using BFD2 with my megadrum and it all works.

Comment

The big help for me was to download the ASIO4ALL driver. http://www.asio4all.com/ It reduced latency considerably. I haven't dialed in all my setting yet, and there is very slight latency, but I feel this can be adjusted using megadrum from what I meddled with so far.

You are correct, I'm running megadrum from usb to the laptop and then using the headphone jack. I am not using an external monitor at this point.

Originally posted by cruiten View Post
        Russ15,

Thanks for your response.

I am not trying to accomplish anything special. I am simply looking to replace my TD-9 module for a more "realistic" sound experience.

It sounds that you are not suffering from any latency issues with your setup. I could have sworn that I have read that most on-board PC sound cards suffer from poor latency issues; this is why I am starting my planning now so that I can be sure that I will not have to deal with those types of problems...

If I understand you correctly, your Megadrum module is connected to your computer via a USB cable, and you plug your headphones into the computer's headphone jack. Is my understanding correct?

Also, do you have any type of powered monitor that is connected to the computer?

Thanks again,

Cor

Comment

Working...
        X