Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

I7 Macbook Air plus MainStage is the bomb!

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I7 Macbook Air plus MainStage is the bomb!

Hey guys. I purchased a new 11" Macbook Air with a 1.8 Ghz Core I7, 4Gig of Ram and a 256 Gig SSD back in September for my entrance into graduate school. Unfortunately, I grossly underestimated how much time grad school would take, and I've done virtually no music projects (just a few pick up gigs) since. I can say that the machine was fantastic for school and I've used it for some pretty sophisticated multi-media video presentations. Anyway, I was on Spring Break this week, so I thought I'd dig in to the audio capabilities.

OMG! This little machine is fantastic for playing VSTs live. The internal SSD just smokes. I picked up an M-Audio Fast Track Ultra USB 2.0 interface, and latency simply isn't an issue. I can host Addictive Drums in Bidule or MainStage with a 32 sample buffer and it is rock solid all day long. This is my first experience with Bidule. It is incredibly powerful, but it takes some getting used to. Still, as a VST host, the resource footprint is practically nonexistent.

Speaking of VST hosts for live play. You guys have to check out MainStage. You can download it from the APP store for $29 and it comes with an insane amount of fantastic sounding plugins. I ran a bass and guitar with heavy effects processing and Addictive drums through this live with no discernible latency. We even recorded the session straight to two track in MainStage. Nine Inch Nails is using multiple instances of MainStage exclusively to host all their effects and basically run their shows. It is very powerful.
Working...
X