Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Superior Drummer HiHat tight closed sound?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Superior Drummer HiHat tight closed sound?

I followed a walkthrough on how to setup my hihat with Superior drummer. I got it working, but I cannot get a tight closed sound when I have my foot down on the pedal - it is only slightly closed. Here is the walkthrough I followed...

"I use a VH-11 with a TD-10. These are the steps I followed to get HiHats working really well while instantiated within Sonar as a plugin (vs. running in Toontrack Solo):
    1. Create and Load Superior 2.0 in my Sonar project from the default "N.Y. - Avatar" state.
    2. Right click the HiHat to select it.
    3. In the "Instrument" Pane (lower right hand corner), go through each Articulation one-by-one and press "remove" to completely clear out all default assignments. (most articulations have multiple assignments, so clear them all out. Doing this step ensures that there are no unanticipated HiHat events)
    4. Play my VH-11 and exercise the pedal. Verify that Superior 2.0 triggers absolutely no sounds.
    5. Mapping the pedal controller: Choose the "hatsCtrl"' articulation. Type 'CC4' in the Key field and press enter.
    6. Mapping the Open edge zone: Choose the "hatsTrig" articulation. Leave the HiHat pedal open completely. Press "Learn". Strike the edge of the HiHat with stick. Should result in a mapped Key of ''D0". (or if you are viewing MIDI Notes as Numbers: 26)
    7. Mapping the Open bow zone: Choose the "hatsTipTrig" articulation. Leave the HiHat pedal open completely. Press "Learn". Strike the bow of the HiHat with stick. Should result in a mapped Key of "A#1". (or if you are viewing MIDI Notes as Numbers: 46)

That gets me the full range of Open sounds while playing the hats and using the pedal. Now for the Closed Edge and Bow sounds, foot chick and foot splash.
    8. Mapping the Closed edge zone: Choose the "hatsTrig" articulation. Step on the HiHat pedal to close it (important: do that before you Press "Learn"). Press "Learn". Strike the edge of the HiHat with stick. Should result in an additional mapped key of "A#-1" to the "hatsTrig" articulation. (or if you are viewing MIDI Notes as Numbers: 22). You can view all mapped keys to an articulation by right clicking in the Key field.
    9. Mapping the Closed bow zone: Choose the "hatsTipTrig" articulation. Step on the HiHat pedal to close it (important: do that before you Press "Learn"). Press "Learn". Strike the bow of the HiHat with stick. Should result in an additional mapped key of "F#1" to the "hatsTipTrig" field. (or if you are viewing MIDI Notes as Numbers: 42)
    10. Mapping the Foot chick and Foot splash: Choose the "Closed Pedal" articulation. With the HiHat open, press "Learn". Step on the HiHat to close it. Should result in a mapped key of "G#1". (or if you are viewing MIDI Notes as Numbers: 44)

Some final notes: The TD-10/VH-11 combo does not have "pressure sensing" on the HiHat to obtain Tight sounds by pressing the pedal harder. But the Tight articulation is being used with the pedal closed normally. If you desire just the Closed articulation sounds in that position, you can map the notes from steps 8 and 9 above to the "Closed" and "ClosedTip" articulations respectively. You will no longer access "Tight" sounds.

If you like the way your HiHat is working, Save your MIDI Preset now so that you have a starting point to load just the HiHat (it requires the most tweaking, the rest of the kit is quick and easy to map with the "learn" feature). "
    TD-12, KD-120, CY15, CY14.

Select the Hats Instrumet / Hatsctrl articulation from the dropdown menu in the Instrument pane (bottom right hand corner). Click on 'edit articulation only' (just below the articulation dropdown) Go to the adjacent voices and layers pane and reduce the 'hard' velocity control until you achieve the tightest hats with your pedal pressed down.
    Damian Blunt
    Toontrack Betatesting Quality Assurance

www.soundclick.com/mule

TD-20 + TDW-20, RMP-12 (Snare) PD-125, 2 x PD-105, 1 x KD-120, VH-12, CY-15R, CY-14, CY-12R/C, 2 x CY-8, CY-5, MDS-12C (with MDS-9 cymbal mounts)

Comment

Changing this value does not change any of the sounds I hear when playing. Any other ideas? How do you guys go about setting up your hihats?

Comment

I'm guessing you have done something wrong then as this is the way to transform the incoming MIDI continuous control data to a tighter range....The latest manual goes into more detail....There are some pedal correction presets in the MIDI presets you could try
        Damian Blunt

www.soundclick.com/mule

TD-20 + TDW-20, RMP-12 (Snare) PD-125, 2 x PD-105, 1 x KD-120, VH-12, CY-15R, CY-14, CY-12R/C, 2 x CY-8, CY-5, MDS-12C (with MDS-9 cymbal mounts)

Comment

Originally posted by X14Halo View Post
          Some final notes: The TD-10/VH-11 combo does not have "pressure sensing" on the HiHat to obtain Tight sounds by pressing the pedal harder. But the Tight articulation is being used with the pedal closed normally. If you desire just the Closed articulation sounds in that position, you can map the notes from steps 8 and 9 above to the "Closed" and "ClosedTip" articulations respectively. You will no longer access "Tight" sounds.
          I don't know if you did, but do not follow that step. I wrote that a long time ago, and if you followed it, it will prevent you from having Tight closed sounds.

(that was the point originally, there were times I did not want the tight sound and it was not controllable due to the VH-11/TD-10 not having pressure sensing. But someone showed a better way later with the Hatsctrl articulation to trim out the tight sound).
          Recordings:
          | Argos | Your Cloud | Lost In Germany | Life Wasted | Identity Crisis
          | The Xerophyte | Red Barchetta | Subdivisions or Drums Only |

Superior Drummer w/ Metal Foundry, dfhS samples and Platinum Samples Evil Drums.

Comment

Deleted .....
            Last edited by Joe_K; 08-22-09, 03:43 PM.
            Recordings:

Superior Drummer w/ Metal Foundry, dfhS samples and Platinum Samples Evil Drums.

Comment

I must have done something wrong before, cuz I just did it again, and now it works! thanks!

Comment

Joe....reducing the 'Limit' will trim out the tight sound whilst reducing hard widens the range that you can achieve tight hats.....Increasing the soft vel vaule will give a wider fully open range.
                Damian Blunt

www.soundclick.com/mule

Comment

Originally posted by grandaddy View Post
                  Joe....reducing the 'Limit' will trim out the tight sound whilst reducing hard widens the range that you can achieve tight hats.....Increasing the soft vel vaule will give a wider fully open range.
                  Doh! You are right, it was Limit I was thinking of! All my drums and computer are packed away in a box right now .. I shouldn't attempt to offer help. (I deleted that post so as not to cause confusion).
                  Recordings:

Comment

X14HALO were did you find this walkthrough?I am running through a cy5 tryinf to tweak the hats because they just don't sound right to me but I cannot find any zip zero info on this besides this.Thanks
                    TD-6V(for now)
                    3xPD-80r, 2xPD-100, 1xPD105, vh-11,cy-14c, cy-12 r/c, CY-5, kd-8 Tama Iron Cobra.....
                    Superior Drummer and Addictive Drums ,BFD2...And still looking for that Gas relief

Comment

It doesn't really matter where he found it, he pasted the whole thing here.

You really don't need anything else. This technique worked perfectly with my CY-5/FD-8 combo...

Give it a shot freebase... you won't be disappointed
                      Jack

Sabre's Album

Comment

I have tried it but it seems like there is no diffrence in the sound from the edge to the bow"EDIT"Ok well scratch that I changed kits and now it seems to be working fine I was only testing on N.Y-AVATAR kit.I will try it again.Do I need to push the edit ariculation only button to?That isn't the only reason I wanted to know were he got the info though I am hoping to find some direction in general in tweaking the hihat to the way I want it to sound I can't find anything with any info that might point me in the right direction.

****EDIT***FIXED
                        Last edited by freebase; 09-06-09, 05:58 PM.
                        TD-6V(for now)
                        3xPD-80r, 2xPD-100, 1xPD105, vh-11,cy-14c, cy-12 r/c, CY-5, kd-8 Tama Iron Cobra.....
                        Superior Drummer and Addictive Drums ,BFD2...And still looking for that Gas relief

Comment

I've also used the MIDI preset of "more closed" and that's worked well for me.

Adam
                          Module: TD-12
                          Pads: 1xPD105BK, 2xPD85s, 1xPD125, 2xCY8, 1xCY12R/CR, 1xCY5, FD8, KD-8, SPD-20, SPD-S, KD-7, VH-11
                          Misc: Q6600 running WinXP, M-Audio Profire 2626, Mackie VLZ1402, MidiSport 2x2, BBE Sonic Maximizer, KRK Rockit RP8s, Roland KC-550, EZDrummer w/DSFH, BFD2, Superior 2.0, SSD 3.0, Cubase 5, PTMP 8, MBP, M-Audio Profire 610, Wavedrum, Roland SPD-30
                          YouTube Videos
                          http://edrumming.blogspot.com/

Comment

These instructions worked well for me although i'm not getting the full range from open to closed on my TD-20 with a VH-12. I only get a tight sound and a fully open. Did I miss something? Do the open 1 to open 5 articulations need to be set?

Comment

Working...
                            X