Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You own a TD-30... Now what?

Maybe that question is misleading.

I'm deciding on the first approaches for TD-30 expansions. What I'm asking is... for all you new and soon-to-be owners of a TD-30 (module and or kit), what do you need? What do you want? Normally, I would go by our previous expansion popularity and start on what sells the best, but they all do about the same.

So, what say you?
    Alan

for me great sounding kits focusing mainly on the new instruments that the td 30 offers. just some killer acoustic sounding kits! my favorite kit thus far from the videos is the kit that dirk brand uses a lot. basically just optimizing eq and compression and for the most part and getting these kits to sound their very best. but i also don't want to limit you as i know you know how to get great results. i mentioned this on another post. what i really really want is some great sounding octobans. think mangini and portnoy. if that's possible. that was one thing i was really hoping for with the td 30 is improved octobans but i dont see them on the instrument list. all i need is one great kit with my favorite snare, toms and kick drum. cymbals too of course. I'm one of those that with my favorite kit i make a few copy's then change the tunings of the drums and I'm a happy camper. so back to the octobans the best I've found (tdw20) is using the 12" oak tom then tuning up to around 80 or so and deepest shell setting but still missing something. just giving you a hint of what i've come up with so far. the actual octo-toms that the td 20 provides seem very cheesy to me.
    sigpicRoland TD 30 module, TDW 20 BK, VH13 hi-hats, custom Gibraltar rack, V expressions, Iron cobra power glide double pedal, Cobra clutch, Iron cobra lever glide hi hat, Kit-toys, KC 500, BBE 482, Roc-N-Soc nitro. , Promark, pearl throne thumper.
    Red DIY church - road kit with red sessions rack, vh12 hi hats, yamaha and kit-toys cymbals, DW T5000 hi hat, BBE 262,
    butt kicker

Comment

I'd say The E1&E2 and VXT packs would be a nice place to start if you are reviewing previous packs for updates for the 30. The cymbal packs are superb but the 30 should be able to raise them to a new level. I agree with jammin777.....Dirks vid sounds great and of course the more realistic the better. Frankly it's a bit hard for me to determine as I'm not quite sure how the new overhead mics and bleeds interact in the 30 now but I will say that these were to options that really caught my ear when I was using S2.0. Reverb....not so much. Kits with 3 options would be nice....one optimized for Live application through a PA....a second studio recording....and a third headphone jamming. You can call them "Triple Threat" packs or "Trinity Packs". hehehehehe..........I'd buy them.
      8 Piece Smokey Chrome/Acrylic w/DIY Pans http://quartzpercussions.com/home_en.html 2BoxDrumIt5x2, DIY Acrylic Spl/Ch, Gen16 Hats/Rides/Ch/Spl, Assorted Gen16 Conversion Cymbals http://www.stealthdrums.com/,DW Remote,SleishmanTwin/QuadSteele Conversion, http://www.drumagination.com/drum-pe...com/mk_pro.php Gibraltar & DrumFrame rack systems
      www.airbrushartists.org/dreamscapeairbrushrealm

Comment

Originally posted by fulrmr(Daniel) View Post
        hehehehehe..........I'd buy them.
        AHA! I KNEW it...all this talk of selling your td20's was just a prelude to getting three td30's!

The Truth Will Out!
        TD9+6v module, KD-8, custom Diamond Electronic 12" snare + 2x8" + 2x10" toms, PD-85, 4xPD8, 2xCY8, CY-5, CY-12r/c, Pearl P902 double pedals, Diamond Electronic COWBELL!
        HPD-10 ATH-50M phones and 4 Vex Packs for the TD-9

Gibson Les Paul. + pod xtl, Norman acoustic, Fender J-Bass + gt10b

Clavia Nord Stage 2 Synth/Stage Piano Samson SR850 'phones

cubase, garritan personal orchestra, JABB, symphonic choirs, Sibelius, reason 6.5, IPAD 2 with lots of soft synths...

three shelter cats

Comment

Originally posted by saku View Post
          AHA! I KNEW it...all this talk of selling your td20's was just a prelude to getting three td30's!

The Truth Will Out!
          Ha! I wish. If I were going to buy another module, it would be budget oriented........and 2Box is much less expensive.

Oh...and it wouldn't be 3 for sure. I was only fortunate enough to do that when I had 3 jobs.....now I only have 1...for part of the year.

However........I will pretend you are a prophet and you've seen my future! I can't wait for them to arrive. Can you for see a particular date? I getting impatient already.
          8 Piece Smokey Chrome/Acrylic w/DIY Pans http://quartzpercussions.com/home_en.html 2BoxDrumIt5x2, DIY Acrylic Spl/Ch, Gen16 Hats/Rides/Ch/Spl, Assorted Gen16 Conversion Cymbals http://www.stealthdrums.com/,DW Remote,SleishmanTwin/QuadSteele Conversion, http://www.drumagination.com/drum-pe...com/mk_pro.php Gibraltar & DrumFrame rack systems

Comment

However........I will pretend you are a prophet and you've seen my future! I can't wait for them to arrive. Can you for see a particular date? I getting impatient already.
            It will be on a Tuesday.
            TD9+6v module, KD-8, custom Diamond Electronic 12" snare + 2x8" + 2x10" toms, PD-85, 4xPD8, 2xCY8, CY-5, CY-12r/c, Pearl P902 double pedals, Diamond Electronic COWBELL!

cubase, garritan personal orchestra, JABB, symphonic choirs, Sibelius, reason 6.5, IPAD 2 with lots of soft synths...

three shelter cats

Comment

Christmas this year is on a Tuesday
              its also four days after the Mayan Apocalypse
              TD-3, Hart Dynamics Prodigy Rack, FD-7 HH Pedal, Kick Pedal, CY-5 HH, 2x Modified 14" Traps Cymbals, 12" Hart Ecymbal, Mapex Snare Stand -- A2E Drum Conversions =14" Snare, 14" Kick, 10",12",13" Toms ----- The Trouble with Normal is it Only Gets Worse

Comment

Originally posted by jammin777 View Post
                for me great sounding kits focusing mainly on the new instruments that the td 30 offers. just some killer acoustic sounding kits! my favorite kit thus far from the videos is the kit that dirk brand uses a lot. basically just optimizing eq and compression and for the most part and getting these kits to sound their very best. but i also don't want to limit you as i know you know how to get great results. i mentioned this on another post. what i really really want is some great sounding octobans. think mangini and portnoy. if that's possible. that was one thing i was really hoping for with the td 30 is improved octobans but i dont see them on the instrument list. all i need is one great kit with my favorite snare, toms and kick drum. cymbals too of course. I'm one of those that with my favorite kit i make a few copy's then change the tunings of the drums and I'm a happy camper. so back to the octobans the best I've found (tdw20) is using the 12" oak tom then tuning up to around 80 or so and deepest shell setting but still missing something. just giving you a hint of what i've come up with so far. the actual octo-toms that the td 20 provides seem very cheesy to me.
                Have you tried tuning the octa toms down in the td20? I don't have a td20 now but I recall they sound more like octobans tuned way down.
                Peter

Comment

Originally posted by saku View Post
                  It will be on a Tuesday.
                  Originally posted by Jeffsmith View Post
                  Christmas this year is on a Tuesday
                  its also four days after the Mayan Apocalypse
                  Perfect! I love Tuesdays.

Comment

Originally posted by scd View Post
                    Have you tried tuning the octa toms down in the td20? I don't have a td20 now but I recall they sound more like octobans tuned way down.
                    Peter
                    i don't remember if i did or not but will try it again and also will try other settings as well. i will post if i get good results. thanks for the heads up. btw if i am really happy with the results i will start a new thread as i know others would like to know as well.
                    sigpicRoland TD 30 module, TDW 20 BK, VH13 hi-hats, custom Gibraltar rack, V expressions, Iron cobra power glide double pedal, Cobra clutch, Iron cobra lever glide hi hat, Kit-toys, KC 500, BBE 482, Roc-N-Soc nitro. , Promark, pearl throne thumper.
                    Red DIY church - road kit with red sessions rack, vh12 hi hats, yamaha and kit-toys cymbals, DW T5000 hi hat, BBE 262,
                    butt kicker

Comment

I'd have to agree with Jamin777 + some really tasty acoustic sounding kits and octotoms. I like Daniel's idea of the triple threat- I would buy those. In fact can we pre-order now?
                      TD30KV, KC-550, SPD-S, Tama Iron Cobra double peddle, Jamhub Greenroom, IWdrums lites, TD-10TDW-1, Vex:Classic XP, System 1, Expressions, Master 50, The Vault, Stealth AtoE 16" Ride, 2 14" Crash, 8" Splash, 10" HH Cymbals, SPD-30 Octopad, RMP-5 Rhythm Coach, TD-10 (brain only)

Comment

...Kits with 3 options would be nice....one optimized for Live application through a PA....a second studio recording....and a third headphone jamming. You can call them "Triple Threat" packs or "Trinity Packs". hehehehehe..........I'd buy them.
                        It's actually funny you mention that. I have had a very similar (maybe even the same) idea. The pack is going to be called "Essentials", and I think it's what you're describing. I thought it up about a week ago after I replied to someone and shared how I use a handful of kits with slight variations for gigging. Basically, I plan to create about 15-20 really killer all-around good-for-everything kits - and then create 3 versions of each with different changes for different needs. I just haven't decided if I'm going with name brands, description or what as the kit names.
                        Alan

Comment

Originally posted by Alan @ V Expressions View Post
                          It's actually funny you mention that. I have had a very similar (maybe even the same) idea. The pack is going to be called "Essentials", and I think it's what you're describing. I thought it up about a week ago after I replied to someone and shared how I use a handful of kits with slight variations for gigging. Basically, I plan to create about 15-20 really killer all-around good-for-everything kits - and then create 3 versions of each with different changes for different needs. I just haven't decided if I'm going with name brands, description or what as the kit names.
                          Nice. Include some sweet cymbal sets in there with them and bet you'll have a winner.

Comment

Just so I am clear as to what these VEX packs are, are they new kits that have all been custom tuned by you? I assume you start with some of the stock kits and modify all the various parameters and settings for the pads to get a sound that is best, then it is downloaded on to a computer program of sorts, and we purchase this to upload into our modules? This does not require a stand alone computer to run, right?

If so, that's pretty cool. Will I be buying them? I am not sure yet. I have not tried fiddling with a Roland module to get different sounds (except for little things at the music store). I'm sure around "tom 2" you start getting pretty annoyed with adjusting all the parameters and you still have half the kit and cymbals to do. And that is just one kit... Ugg... I may have some interest in this depending on how fun/annoying the tuning is of this module.

As for suggestions, I dont have any because I dont have the experience of previous models to go off of. I say you just have some fun and make some great sounding kits.
                            Tommy_D's Drum Thread - Lots of photos - Video - Custom TD-30 Kits!

Comment

Originally posted by Tommy_D View Post
                              Just so I am clear as to what these VEX packs are, are they new kits that have all been custom tuned by you? I assume you start with some of the stock kits and modify all the various parameters and settings for the pads to get a sound that is best, then it is downloaded on to a computer program of sorts, and we purchase this to upload into our modules? This does not require a stand alone computer to run, right?

If so, that's pretty cool. Will I be buying them? I am not sure yet. I have not tried fiddling with a Roland module to get different sounds (except for little things at the music store). I'm sure around "tom 2" you start getting pretty annoyed with adjusting all the parameters and you still have half the kit and cymbals to do. And that is just one kit... Ugg... I may have some interest in this depending on how fun/annoying the tuning is of this module.

As for suggestions, I dont have any because I dont have the experience of previous models to go off of. I say you just have some fun and make some great sounding kits.
                              You of course need the computer to download the vex and transfer them to the module, but after that you are not tied to a computer.

Bit I rather doubt that Alan starts with a Roland kit and modifies it, the vex kits are totally independent from Roland's presets...I am willing to bet my module that they start from scratch, or rather, from the knowledge of what the target kit (be it Lars Ulrich's kit, or a DW, or whatever), sounds like, and they build from there.

three shelter cats

Comment

Working...
                              X