Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Symmetrical Setups

Heya all,

So I was watching some Mike Mangini (Extreme) solos on You Tube and marvelling over both his immense skill and his symmetrical tom layouts around his centred snare.

Couple of examples:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=um24w...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8BdV...om=PL&index=10

(Incidentally, I saw Extreme @ State Theatre, Sydney Australia back in the early 90s, and it would easily go down as one of the most exhilarating shows I've ever seen. Entertainment plus!)

Just love the open balanced left / right thing that is going on. Then I saw some kits on here with similar set-ups (sorry, didn't note the users at the time), but it got me thinking, e-drums are so suited to putting stuff anywhere.

So today I ripped apart my TD-9 kit, sticking the ride, hat, snare (from top to bottom) down the centre of the rack. Then Toms 1 and 2 (inner left and right) and Toms 3 and 4 (outer left and right). And the two crashes reaching out left and right. Yet to tape up the cables, but all appears to reach OK (despite the TD-9s pre-wired looms).

A quick play and, wow! What a fresh, liberating experience to face the kit in such a balanced way, playing the hat/ride openhanded against the snare. Love it!

Of course, a picture tells a thousand words... let me see what I can do at this late stage of the day.

In the meantime, who else is running a similar symmetrical set-up?

And here's the pic...

I also switched the left-kick pedal for the high-hat, one because I can ( ), and two it just felt more comfortable. Might switch it back after I've worked with it some more and sorted out the ergonomics across the whole kit.

Comment

And 'cause I'm a fan, here's more of the mighty Mr Mangini!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wz_L0wlLcVM

From a Japanese drum clinic played to a Steve Vai music track.

Just so lush!

Comment

thanks for the links accession - the man's a freak!
        did you see the WFD world record? 1203 single strokes in 60 seconds...

your kit looks cool, kinda like a mini Superpuss....
        E-kit: TD-9KX, VH-11, SPD-S, SPD-30, VEX
        A-kits: Gretsch Catalina, Whitney nesting drums, 50s Vintage Premier Jazz, Gretsch 10" Snare, various Zildjian As, 2x1950s Avedis Zildjian 18" Crash/Rides

Videos

The Dust Revival Band

Spinifex Rose

Kristy Lewis and the Wretched

Wayfaring Strangers

Comment

I really like the symmetrical aspect. I've wanted to do this for quite some. But having an A to E set up makes it tough because my toms are so deep and remote hats are so expensive. It's coming though. Just biding my time and building up GAS! There should be a massive explosion by summer's end!
          8 piece DIY Acrylic http://www.quartzpercussions.com/, 2x2Box DrumIt5, Gen16 4xDCP, Acrylic&Gen16 Conversions http://stealthdrums.com/Home_Page.html, Sleishman Twin-QuadSteele hybrid http://drumagination.com/ , Gibraltar&DrumFrame rack, DW9502LB, Midi Knights Pro Lighting http://jeredsystems.com/index.php
          http://www.airbrushartists.org/DreamscapeAirbrushRealm

Comment

Cool setup accession and cool clips too. The first one where Mike is using Roto's is very cool.

Originally posted by accession View Post
            In the meantime, who else is running a similar symmetrical set-up?
            Yep. Once I changed to the symmetrical setup with mid HH, there's no going back
            My kit pics are in my signature.
            AusDisciples Band
            "SuperGAS" -- Kit Photo's -- Hear my kit
            TD20exp + TD12 + TMC6 + VEX + Superior 2

Psalm 150

Comment

I have looked at a few pics of Mike Mangini playing. It looks like he uses 4 hi-hats. Two variable and two fixed. Is this correct?
              sigpic

Comment

My take on it is that it is symmetrical for increased speed, and with his style of playing the same strokes from the center outward, he is quite adept. Not my thing, though...I guess I more of a traditionalist.
                My current setup:
                TD-9SX, with a KD-120, extra CY-8, PM-30 monitor, and a 1971 Rickenbacker 4001 kit photo 1 | kit photo 2 | kit photo 3

Protect your hearing. Tinnitus is real.

Comment

Originally posted by tisgnitch View Post
                  your kit looks cool, kinda like a mini Superpuss....
                  Ha! I only discovered *that* kit on here today. Um, yeah, kinda.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperPuss View Post
                    The first one where Mike is using Roto's is very cool.
                    Yeah, totally. So musical.

Originally posted by SuperPuss View Post
                    Yep. Once I changed to the symmetrical setup with mid HH, there's no going back
                    My kit pics are in my signature.
                    Quoted for all its magnificent symmetrical glory:

Just like your rig, I'd originally envisioned my toms to be tighter packed, and the hat forward a bit, but it didn't work out that way. I'll have another crack at it by moving the hat's mount to the rack's lower-front brace (rather than the upper brace that it currently shares with the upper toms). This should allow a tighter arrangement I think.

Now as wonderful as your kit is, of course you know you just need this to complete the equilibrium:

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Render View Post
                      I have looked at a few pics of Mike Mangini playing. It looks like he uses 4 hi-hats. Two variable and two fixed. Is this correct?

Yeah, I'd been trying to work that out too. Must be no spare space on the floor with at up to 6 pedal boards scattered about down there!

Comment

I tried this once. Maybe I'm just too set in my ways but I really didn't like it. The biggest issue was the hihat. When I tried playing grooves with things like lots of ghost notes, I just couldn't get the same dynamics. I used to have my toms setup symmetrical, but I've even gone back to a more traditional setup and started the toms right above the snare.

Adam
                        Module: TD-12
                        Pads: 1xPD105BK, 2xPD85s, 1xPD125, 2xCY8, 1xCY12R/CR, 1xCY5, FD8, KD-8, SPD-20, SPD-S, KD-7, VH-11
                        Misc: Q6600 running WinXP, M-Audio Profire 2626, Mackie VLZ1402, MidiSport 2x2, BBE Sonic Maximizer, KRK Rockit RP8s, Roland KC-550, EZDrummer w/DSFH, BFD2, Superior 2.0, SSD 3.0, Cubase 5, PTMP 8, MBP, M-Audio Profire 610, Wavedrum, Roland SPD-30
                        YouTube Videos
                        http://edrumming.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by accession View Post
                          Just like your rig, I'd originally envisioned my toms to be tighter packed, and the hat forward a bit, but it didn't work out that way. I'll have another crack at it by moving the hat's mount to the rack's lower-front brace (rather than the upper brace that it currently shares with the upper toms). This should allow a tighter arrangement I think.

Now as wonderful as your kit is, of course you know you just need this to complete the equilibrium:

I was actually contemplating those. One of the members here had one he was selling but I didn't hear back from him about it.

As for the snare / hat / toms arrangement, it does take a bit of fiddling to get them nice and close but it is worth the fiddling.
                          AusDisciples Band
                          "SuperGAS" -- Kit Photo's -- Hear my kit
                          TD20exp + TD12 + TMC6 + VEX + Superior 2

Psalm 150

Comment

hey superpuss, if i'm ever near melbourne again i'd love to play ur kit hehehe

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Render View Post
                              according to the ever-so-knowledgeable-and-true Wikipedia this is correct..i think 7 pedals all up.
                              any more and he'd give thomas lang a run for his money
                              E-kit: TD-9KX, VH-11, SPD-S, SPD-30, VEX
                              A-kits: Gretsch Catalina, Whitney nesting drums, 50s Vintage Premier Jazz, Gretsch 10" Snare, various Zildjian As, 2x1950s Avedis Zildjian 18" Crash/Rides

Videos

The Dust Revival Band

Spinifex Rose

Kristy Lewis and the Wretched

Wayfaring Strangers

Comment

Working...
                              X