Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Technical probs,,, CYMBALS

SO : I have a TD3 setup with a PD 120 and a newer series cymbal ---

I have connected the TD3 via Midi & direct IN to a SPD20 > mainly because the samples are a little better and the dynamics seem to be quite different.

BUT my problem is the cymbal crescendos > can get a pretty decent rolling cymbal crash > if we play the SPD20 pads -- but not when directly playing our CY 12 ?? Do we have to step up to the TD9 or 11 ?? IT's been very embarrassing in the last weeks performances ..-- Is the technology just not up to snuff ? I played acoustics since early 60's -- but, starting in late 80's \ ~ / perform on Vdrums 90%..

In the studio :: we always put the cymbals on after >> with the keys of our Kurzweils .. because of the dynamics & great samples we layer....
    Last edited by CJOGO; 04-17-12, 02:50 AM.

UTFSE here with terms like

cymbal swells

swells

interval control

and you'll see a plethora of discussion on this. The key feature you want is a module with interval control. TD-9 doesn't have it. I don't know about the TD-11 but I'm sure that's easy enough to find out about or Bruce (BarT) will chime in and tell you.

Interval control, ie., the ability to do cymbal swells, is *the* reason I moved from an exp TD-10 to my TD-12. Night and day difference.

It just dawned on me, you've been here since 2006, you probably knew all this already. What I don't know is exactly what kind of dynamics the SPD-20 has, ie., does it have interval control. Doesn't sound like it given your description but you never know.

www.dauphinehotel.com
    www.myspace.com/rubberuniverse
    www.digitaldrummermag.com
    Last edited by grog; 04-17-12, 07:39 AM.
    Mix and Match Heaven: TD-12 or EZDrummer, Diamond Drum 12" snare, Hart Acupad toms, Roland CY-5 mounted on a Hart Ecymbal II Pro Pedal, Hart Ride, Hart Acupad 8" bass, 2 Roland CY-14 crashes, two Concept 1 cymbals, a Yamaha PCY-10, all on a red Roland V-Sessions rack. Pads on hiatus: PD-7, Kit Toy Splash, Hart single-zone HH, Alesis DMPad ride and an entire Concept 1 kit.

Comment

Thanks GROG -- TD 12 is too large and out of my $ >> maybe will look into the Alesis modules ... the SPD20 seems to have something close to IC -- at least much better dynamics. I used a TrapKat and Kurzweil so many years ...this is new to me/

Comment

User hellfire can opine more than me but my understanding is that the Alesis modules don't "do interval control" (or whatever Alesis might call it) all that well. Not sure about the DM-10's capability in that regard. Here's the start of Hellfire's review of the DM-10:
        http://vdrums.com/forum/showthread.p...330#post446330
        It'll get you in the right direction at least in terms of determining whether or not it might fit your requirements.

Again, I simply don't know if the TD-11 or TD-15 will have interval control. I've done some searching and come up with nothing. I downloaded the TD-15 manual and it doesn't even list the instruments available. That's a pain. I was hoping they'd list the instruments and then have an asterisk by those that had interval control assuming the module comes with that. But nope.

Even if it did, the price is apparently out of your range. I mean you can get a used TD-12 for around 8-900 bucks, maybe even less now and the TD-15 retails for $1100.

www.dauphinehotel.com
        Mix and Match Heaven: TD-12 or EZDrummer, Diamond Drum 12" snare, Hart Acupad toms, Roland CY-5 mounted on a Hart Ecymbal II Pro Pedal, Hart Ride, Hart Acupad 8" bass, 2 Roland CY-14 crashes, two Concept 1 cymbals, a Yamaha PCY-10, all on a red Roland V-Sessions rack. Pads on hiatus: PD-7, Kit Toy Splash, Hart single-zone HH, Alesis DMPad ride and an entire Concept 1 kit.

Comment

Thanks for the headups on Alesis --have been over at HellFires checking the info.. The TD12 looks a little large to carry around for our gigs. The TD3 just folds down so compact >fits in my little Acura trunk & plug/play connected > to carry on to stage. I think the whole kit was $300 used.

Comment

Oh wait, I'm not talking an entire kit, just getting the module.

Mine fits into a $10 pistol case I bought at Wal-Mart:
            http://vdrums.com/forum/showthread.p...899#post491899

Comment

Originally posted by grog View Post
              Again, I simply don't know if the TD-11 or TD-15 will have interval control. I've done some searching and come up with nothing. I downloaded the TD-15 manual and it doesn't even list the instruments available. That's a pain. I was hoping they'd list the instruments and then have an asterisk by those that had interval control assuming the module comes with that. But nope.
              There's a separate TD-15 TD-11 Data List posted at Roland HQ a few days ago, but not yet at Roland US, which lists TD-11/15 Kits, Instruments, Songs and Effects.

But no interval control.

Bruce
              • Roland TD-20+TDW-20, TD-8, SPD-S, PD-105, PD-6/8, CY-5/6/8/12, FD-6/8, KD-7/8, RT-10K, PM-30, DB-90
              • Hart Acupad, Hart Hammer, Pintech Dingbat, Sony MDR-7505, Shure E2, 512. Pacific CX, Zildjian A Customs.

Comment

Amazing how well enabled the SPD 20 velocity works on their pads -- not bad dynamics at all ... the sensitivity is so much more superb than say a : TD 120 and a TD3 module performance. May go back to the Alesis DM 5 with TrapKat -- the Roland kit looks nicer for the stage > but, the extra expense,,,, I can't justify for maybe a once-a-month- gig. Need the portable/collapsible/ small footprint > on stage. I have been using the SPD20 with a 8in mesh attached ~ for really small venues...

Comment

If you ever have the time or inclination, take a photo or two of your rig when it's onstage to share. Everybody's always looking for minimal rigs for exactly the kind of thing you're doing.

Comment

633ab8068f819ef4abb473d57815e47a.jpg added a few mesh & a cymbal for last Sunday nights venue .. Just need to update the module and dual triggers ==then I could drop the SPD 20 for larger performances...

use a Fat Kat for the kick -- not sure where I got the $10 hat controller > must be a ION > works great though (lighter than my sticks )

The SPD20 with a PDX8 on an arm and 2 pedals > is an amazing setup .. I use a small 5 in Roland monitor on a stand
                    Last edited by CJOGO; 04-22-12, 02:06 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by grog View Post
                      If you ever have the time or inclination, take a photo or two of your rig when it's onstage to share. Everybody's always looking for minimal rigs for exactly the kind of thing you're doing.
                      http://vdrums.com/forum/attachment.p...6&d=1334767790

Comment

Looking good...!

Greetings from Switzerland,
                        - Dänoh

"My best friends' name is J-SON. They used to call him 'Mr. Parse.' He has an 'Error'..!"

http://www.vdrums.com/forum/core/cus...ar33631_4.jpeg

Comment

You can see the PD 120 and a PDX 8 with the SPD 20 > all on the TD3 stand ...We had a good turnout last week ~! Will post some audio/vids in a few weeks

Comment

Great picture!
                            Beater-tester. digitalDrummer
                            Review index

Comment

Most excellent. Of course this means I have more questions.

What are you using as the PA?

Are the string instruments miced in some manner? I see one up there but figure you might be using clip ons.

Is that a CY-8? I'm having trouble telling what cymbals you're using.

How long does it take you to setup the kit?

Lemme repeat how envious I am that you're playing these kinds of gigs much less playing them *and* getting paid for it. I'd kill to have two string players for our Alan Parsons Project stuff. We just had a rehearsal last weekend and are doing yet another big, epic song without any of the epic stuff.

Thanks for sharing all of this.

www.dauphinehotel.com

Comment

Working...
                              X