X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FD-8 vs FD-7 or FD-6

I have a TD-6v set that uses a FD-8 hi hat pedal. I have had the sucker apart numerous times and performed all the mods with inconsistant results. Last night at gig it failed to work entirely. Is a FD7 or FD 6 a better pedal?? I want a more reliable louder pedal. I have made volume adjustments for the High hat too but it just doesn't measure up to the rest of the set in volume or reliability.
    ANY IDEAS??

Fd7 is generally considered supeiror to its replacement, the fd8. They pop up for sale fairly often. Otherwise, you could always go the vh11 route...
    TD9+6v module, KD-8, custom Diamond Electronic 12" snare + 2x8" + 2x10" toms, PD-85, 4xPD8, 2xCY8, CY-5, CY-12r/c, Pearl P902 double pedals, Diamond Electronic COWBELL!
    HPD-10 ATH-50M phones and 4 Vex Packs for the TD-9

Gibson Les Paul. + pod xtl, Norman acoustic, Fender J-Bass + gt10b

Clavia Nord Stage 2 Synth/Stage Piano Samson SR850 'phones

cubase, garritan personal orchestra, JABB, symphonic choirs, Sibelius, reason 6.5, IPAD 2 with lots of soft synths...

three shelter cats

Comment

What saku said. Get an FD-7 pedal. They're affordable and easily found on ebay.

www.myspace.com/rubberuniverse
      Mix and Match Heaven: TD-12 or EZDrummer, Diamond Drum 12" snare, Hart Acupad toms, Roland CY-5 mounted on a Hart Ecymbal II Pro Pedal, Hart Ride, Hart Acupad 8" bass, 2 Roland CY-14 crashes, two Concept 1 cymbals, a Yamaha PCY-10, all on a red Roland V-Sessions rack. Pads on hiatus: PD-7, Kit Toy Splash, Hart single-zone HH, Alesis DMPad ride and an entire Concept 1 kit.

Comment

+1 for the FD7 here too. Be aware it's a large beast though. I wish the baseplate were smaller, but my set up is tight, so it may be fine for you.
        I have sold every last bit of my E KIt, even cables! Odery Eyedentity LA Rock sizes in Mappa Burl, Paiste Alpha Boomers, 14 Hats, 16 and 18 Crashes, 22 ride (it's a beast!) Mapex Hardware, Axis Double Pedal

Comment

Oh my God, I can't agree with any of you. And I'm an inexperienced and terrible drummer who has to wear safety glasses to keep from poking my own eyes out from constantly dropping my sticks!

Well, okay I guess I can't disagree either, since I only have the FD-8 (can I say a few choice cuss words, PLEASE?) and have not tried an FD6 or FD7.

But today, just TODAY, I received my new VH-11 and put it on my new stand in front of my TD-6V. I've only tested it, not played anything yet. I only came here to see if I could dig up some advice on properly adjusting the height and pedal travel. That's when I found this thread.

And I had to speak up.

Man oh man, the VH-11 with a decent HH stand is WORLDS BETTER BETTER BETTER than any immovable option with an FD-whatever. It's as expressive as a real Hi Hat (remember, I'm not a real drummer and I don't play one on television) and a joy to play even without the thing being adjusted (hehe, 3 inches or more from open to closed!).

I actually get distinct open, close, 1/2, and hh "chick" sounds! Hip Hip Hooray! I don't have to beat the hell out of it to make it sound nice and I don't have to stomp down with all my 250 pounds of body weight to get that "chick" sound!

Rowr! It's awsome and I cannot believe I let myself struggle with that stupid FD-8 for so long!

Okay, I do realize that the OP's original question was about which FD would be a good solution. He was not asking about the VH. I read his post and I get that. But my ears have been opened and I have to say that to be a real friend and to do dignity and justice to the OP's question "FD6 or FD7?", my answer MUST be "NEITHER, not even if they're free."

I have to say that I now feel very very strongly that Roland should have NEVER EVER offered the FD/CY alternative for a hi-hat; not even on their budget line (TD4/6/9).

To the original poster. I urge you to save your money for a VH-11 or VH-12 (if your module supports it), even if you have to work some overtime or miss a few meals to make it happen. It's THAT worth it.

It was even worth giving up pizza for.

Comment

Originally posted by Good Vibrations View Post
            Well, okay I guess I can't disagree either, since I only have the FD-8 (can I say a few choice cuss words, PLEASE?)
            If it was up to me, you could open a new sticky dedicated solely to the FD-8 and cuss words.

Comment

Haha, I was thinking about creating a thread. Something along the lines of...

FD8 is to VH-11 as...

... a meat tenderizer is to a sharp steak knife
              ... having the crap beat out of you is to making love to a beautiful lady

or "Using an FD8 is like..."

... nailing two boards together with the palm of your hand.
              ... that shopping cart with one flat wheel.
              ... performing surgery. With the blunt end of a drumstick. A turkey drumstick.

I could go on for a long long time...

Comment

Originally posted by Good Vibrations View Post
                Oh my God, I can't agree with any of you. And I'm an inexperienced and terrible drummer who has to wear safety glasses to keep from poking my own eyes out from constantly dropping my sticks!

Well, okay I guess I can't disagree either, since I only have the FD-8 (can I say a few choice cuss words, PLEASE?) and have not tried an FD6 or FD7.

But today, just TODAY, I received my new VH-11 and put it on my new stand in front of my TD-6V. I've only tested it, not played anything yet. I only came here to see if I could dig up some advice on properly adjusting the height and pedal travel. That's when I found this thread.

And I had to speak up.

Man oh man, the VH-11 with a decent HH stand is WORLDS BETTER BETTER BETTER than any immovable option with an FD-whatever. It's as expressive as a real Hi Hat (remember, I'm not a real drummer and I don't play one on television) and a joy to play even without the thing being adjusted (hehe, 3 inches or more from open to closed!).

I actually get distinct open, close, 1/2, and hh "chick" sounds! Hip Hip Hooray! I don't have to beat the hell out of it to make it sound nice and I don't have to stomp down with all my 250 pounds of body weight to get that "chick" sound!

Rowr! It's awsome and I cannot believe I let myself struggle with that stupid FD-8 for so long!

Okay, I do realize that the OP's original question was about which FD would be a good solution. He was not asking about the VH. I read his post and I get that. But my ears have been opened and I have to say that to be a real friend and to do dignity and justice to the OP's question "FD6 or FD7?", my answer MUST be "NEITHER, not even if they're free."

I have to say that I now feel very very strongly that Roland should have NEVER EVER offered the FD/CY alternative for a hi-hat; not even on their budget line (TD4/6/9).

To the original poster. I urge you to save your money for a VH-11 or VH-12 (if your module supports it), even if you have to work some overtime or miss a few meals to make it happen. It's THAT worth it.

It was even worth giving up pizza for.
                But you see, the question was FD-8 vs 7 or 6...not a VH-11. I agree with you completely a VH-11 is worlds better. I've got both a FD7 and FD8 just sitting in a box...

The FD-7 is better, but bigger than the FD-8.
                TD-10 w/TDW-1, TD-6V, TMC-6, PD-125, (4x) PD-120, PD-105, (3x) PD-100, (2x)PD-85, PD-7, VH-11, CY-15R/C, CY-5, (4x)CY-8, (2x)Yammy PCY-135
                Superior 2.3, Metal Foundry, NY Studios, C&V, JB Evil Drums, Music City USA, and almost all EZX's
                M-Audio Audiophile 192/Intel Core i3 530 2.93Ghz w/16gb RAM/Win7 64bit/Reaper 64bit
                QSC K10 and QSC KSub...Roc-n-Soc saving my behind!
                Lots of Charvel & Jackson guitars and basses, too many amps and cabs, lotsa effects.

My Kit's Evolution Thread (PICS)

Comment

Of course the VH11 is better if youve got the cash its a no brainer if you havent....then the FD7 wins.
                  TD9KX - Metal Mania Vex Pack and a Roc n Soc Nitro = Happy Brain........Happy Bum!

Comment

Thank you Lars.

Oi vey. The original poster didn't say what kind of module he had. For all we know, he has a TD-8 or an exp TD-10, thus, the VH-11 doesn't do squat for him.

If there's one thing everybody agrees on, it's that the FD-8 can be a piece of crap. Between it and the CY-8, it's a good thing Roland has a lot of other really nice products out there because if they were counting on building their rep on those two...

Again, if you have a newer brain, then sure, duh, the higher end HH rigs work better. But if you're going with a static mount HH, for whatever reason, get an FD-7.

Mix and Match Heaven: TD-12 or EZDrummer, Diamond Drum 12" snare, Hart Acupad toms, Roland CY-5 mounted on a Hart Ecymbal II Pro Pedal, Hart Ride, Hart Acupad 8" bass, 2 Roland CY-14 crashes, two Concept 1 cymbals, a Yamaha PCY-10, all on a red Roland V-Sessions rack. Pads on hiatus: PD-7, Kit Toy Splash, Hart single-zone HH, Alesis DMPad ride and an entire Concept 1 kit.

Comment

Originally posted by grog View Post
                      Thank you Lars.

Oi vey. The original poster didn't say what kind of module he had. For all we know, he has a TD-8 or an exp TD-10, thus, the VH-11 doesn't do squat for him.
                      He did say he had a TD-6V set so I would assume he had a TD-6V module...I know I am going out on a limb there. Anyway the FD-7 is much more solid but the technology is basically the same with either the 6/7 or 8. So if you are selling the FD controller to get a better FD controller then you are probably wasting your time. You would be better learning how to adjust the controls on your module to increase the sensitivities and volume of the HH.
                      JJ's Roland Vdrum Store - great used Vdrum gear, now with more hardware and acoustic drums

Comment

Originally posted by jjdrumz View Post
                        He did say he had a TD-6V set so I would assume he had a TD-6V module...I know I am going out on a limb there. Anyway the FD-7 is much more solid but the technology is basically the same with either the 6/7 or 8. So if you are selling the FD controller to get a better FD controller then you are probably wasting your time. You would be better learning how to adjust the controls on your module to increase the sensitivities and volume of the HH.
                        Didn't know you were on here. Just bought the PD-8 and Mounts from you on eBay!! Thanks for shipping them together!!

Comment

Originally posted by jjdrumz View Post
                          Anyway the FD-7 is much more solid but the technology is basically the same with either the 6/7 or 8. So if you are selling the FD controller to get a better FD controller then you are probably wasting your time. You would be better learning how to adjust the controls on your module to increase the sensitivities and volume of the HH.
                          I would agree with this 100%. I don't think the difference between the 7 and 8 is worth much effort. Knowing what I know now that I have one of each, I wouldn't tell someone that owns a FD-8 that they need to get rid of it and get a FD-7. If you were looking to buy one or the other I'd say get the 7.
                          TD-10 w/TDW-1, TD-6V, TMC-6, PD-125, (4x) PD-120, PD-105, (3x) PD-100, (2x)PD-85, PD-7, VH-11, CY-15R/C, CY-5, (4x)CY-8, (2x)Yammy PCY-135
                          Superior 2.3, Metal Foundry, NY Studios, C&V, JB Evil Drums, Music City USA, and almost all EZX's
                          M-Audio Audiophile 192/Intel Core i3 530 2.93Ghz w/16gb RAM/Win7 64bit/Reaper 64bit
                          QSC K10 and QSC KSub...Roc-n-Soc saving my behind!
                          Lots of Charvel & Jackson guitars and basses, too many amps and cabs, lotsa effects.

My Kit's Evolution Thread (PICS)

Comment

Originally posted by LarsYouPutz View Post
                            But you see, the question was FD-8 vs 7 or 6...not a VH-11.
                            I thought I said I realized that...

I agree with you completely a VH-11 is worlds better.
                            It's not only "worlds better". After another day of using mine, I now feel that I understated the matter in my first post. I understated it by a long shot.

I now think a VH is the only viable solution. I would not recommend buying ANY FD controller, not even for temporary use.

So here's how I would answer the OP's question:

Him: I have a TD-blah blah blah. Should I buy an FD6, FD7, or FD8?

Me: This will sound harsh and you're not going to like it. You might want to sit down for this. I would not be a doing you service if I recommended any FD for you. In my opinion, you should buy none of those. Save your money and buy a VH-11 or if your module supports it and you can afford it, a VH-12. I promise you'll avoid a lot of anguish and frustration if you do this the right way.

It's the difference between using nice drumsticks and a baseball bat. Wrapped inside an area rug. Encased in bubble-wrap. But of course, that's just my opinion. Strongly held.

And yes, I understand the OP's original question. I just don't care. But it's out of love.

Comment

I don't think the difference between the 7 and 8 is worth much effort.
                              Here's where I disagree with JJ and Lars.

But first, JJ, yeah, duh, right there in the first sentence "I have a TD-6V set". I swear that wasn't there at first. Okay, that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Back to the 7/8 pedal, here's where I disagree. Having had both, used both extensively on an older module (exp TD-10) I can say it's well worth making the switch "back" from a dodgy FD-8 to a FD-7. We have enough anectdotal stories in here to strongly suggest people who can't get their FD-8 to work and who have replaced it with an FD-7 think it was well worth the effort.

Sure, a higher-end rig is nice. I mean I did that and yet, my Hart Epedal on the TD-10 didn't give me enough leap in capability to make it much different than a static FD-7 approach. Again, I need to stress that a newer module designed for something like my Hart Pedal or the VH-11/12s *is* a large step up in terms of HH capability.

But, if you have an older module and are going with a static HH for the foreseeable future, than if you're having trouble with the FD-8, there's plenty of people here who were in the same boat, chucked the FD-8 overboard in favor of an FD-7 and have been very happy ever since.

Comment

Working...
                              X