I then saw how they used a piece of circular plastic separated from the drum head and the peizo attached to that plastic to help eliminate hot spots. Watch the video for more information on this.
I then started to think if there was a way to use this idea to eliminate the hot spot on Roland trigger pads and think I might have done it. I haven't played too much with the trigger pads but I did not notice any hot spots.
1. I superglue my mesh to part of a real drum head. I mostly take out the center and leave just a little bit for the mesh head to be glued to. My mesh heads are made of solar screens. If you attach them some other way that would be fine.
2. I then use this foam: 79f9c919681f0e2116725a628e7e7a03.jpg ba2edff117cd8b57d79246d341aefd94.jpg. This foam is actually insullation to place around a pipe. I cut out 4 small rings from it about 1/2" to 3/4" thick as shown here 762eba7c166303905729c673c3c09792.jpg.
3. I turn the drum head and rim over so I am looking at their underside. 80467ec1727bce1a200426a1013a25a7.jpg. I then take the 4 foam rings and place them around the bottom part of the mesh head b054c3ae3751e7c8e0a2aafe8ea860ff.jpg.