Im in the middle of building my own custom DIY cut shell kit to go with my TD9 module.
In short, here are pictures to illustrate how I went about this.
I started off by buying a Millenium 12x10" tom from Thomann.
I chose this because...
1) Its very cheap, about 30pounds new!
2) I knew I could easily take off the wrap
3) Its not a good quality product so I have no problems cutting it in half or binning parts from it
4) Convertng this is all that this tom is good for!
5) If I make a mess of it, its ONLY 30pounds wasted!
Here's a photo of it before I took it to pieces.