X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• crash cymbals

hi guys, first post here but i have been browsing & searching the forums for a while.

im currently wanting to expand my Vdrum set up, i have a TD12 brain & various roland pads i have bought second hand on eaby over the last years or so.

one thing im not happy about at all is Crash cymbals, i hate the roland ones, i like the look of the smart trigger ones but gosh they are pricey ^ rare in the UK

i am wondering if i should just build some, i want quite big cymbals as i use 18 & 20" crashes on my giging kit.

thing is i have no knowledge of circuits and wiaring etc... i can use a soldering iron & am quite handy.

I have made some Single Zone Piezo sensors as trial runs etc. & am happy with my attempts.. however what i really want is Chokable crashes, im not bothered about multi zone or anything, just single zone & chokable.

i have searched & serched through threads & cant find a straigt forward bit of info on how to do the wiring of it, everyone seems to be doing custom circuits for multi zone as well as choke.

so is it possible to do a simple choke wiring setup on a single zone crash, im happy to make the parts (choke area & such) i need, but if i have to do anything other than basic wiring i get lost....

i would appreciate any help??

karl

I too have searched quite a bit to find an effective way to wire a single zone crash choke. I thought I knew what would work, but when I tried it myself, it didn't work I have a TD-8 and I am 99% sure that cymbals can be choked using that module.

I have an excellent choke switch already set up on the cymbal, I just need to know how to wire it to make it choke. I know it has to be simple, but sometimes the simplest things are the easiest to overlook.

Help, please?
    sigpic

Comment

I got a lot of hits with DIY Choke using the search engine in the DIY forum. Here is one thread:
      http://www.vdrums.com/forum/showthre...ight=DIY+Choke
      Stealth Acrylic Blues kit, Lectrobans,dual zone acrylic picollo toms,Stealth A to EZ Sabian Cymbals,Stealth 2Box compatible HH stand,2 X 2Box Drumit 5 sound modules with external SD card slots added, 32GB capacity cards,custom VST loaded sounds,SPD-30, Alesis Trigger iO,Stealth A to EZ Mini-Congas,Stealth Lectric Bongos,Lectric MOO's, Lectric Blocks,Wuhan Gong & Linear Splash,A to EZ Alu bell, etc.

I could tell you where to stick that piezo

Stop by my site anytime: Jman's Website

Comment

Jman, I have already found many hits myself and I have read that read particular thread many times already. I already have the mechanical portion finished, just need the wiring info. Maybe I should be more specific...can I wire a piezo to the choke switch mechanism and achieve a single-zone cymbal with choke, or do I need a circuit involved? I am under the impression that the Raper circuit is only necessary for a dual-zone cymbal with choke.
        sigpic

Comment

You are right. Keith raper is for dual cymbals. You can connect the piezo to tip and sleeve of the jack, and the two leads of the choke system to ring and sleeve of the jack. It is that simple. You need and stereo jack. Td8 has dual inputs so it would be compatible

Comment

I haven't built a single cymbal yet. But from what I understand in your example the choke is essentially another trigger but provided via a switch instead of piezo. You grab the choke, it triggers. But you assign it the appropriate MIDI note for the choke.

Any reason for a 1 zone crash you couldn't have a piezo on the bell and use THAT for a choke? Crash on the edge, whack the bell to choke it? I realize that's not how real acoustics would be handled by the drummer. But I'm just talking out loud here.

Comment

Originally posted by elrules View Post
              You are right. Keith raper is for dual cymbals. You can connect the piezo to tip and sleeve of the jack, and the two leads of the choke system to ring and sleeve of the jack. It is that simple. You need and stereo jack. Td8 has dual inputs so it would be compatible
              Yes, thank you elrules, this is exactly what I am talking about! I am sure that you are right, but I am having trouble still. I used a cut-up aluminum can, so it could be coated with something that is interfering with conductivity. But I also used a sketchy stereo plug and I think it may be that, so I will get a new one later and try that out.
              sigpic

Comment

The interior of aluminum cans usually are coated in a varnish of some sort. The exterior with paint or a label. I think you'd want to use some raw aluminum. Check Hellfires site, he suggests aluminum flashing which is apparently even available in a brassy finish on one side from some resellers.

I think a multimeter for testing would be the appropriate tool in your case. Fairly inexpensive and something you'll use for the rest of your life. You can check continuity, voltage left in your batteries, test your DYI edrum stuff. Oh the fun you can have!

Comment

Single-Zone Choke Switch Wiring Diagram

It works! I found a new TRS plug and I ditched the pop can aluminum and used some copper tape that a had leftover from shielding a guitar instead. Based on Gastric's comment about the coating on pop cans, I'll bet that was the problem. I noticed while trying to solder to the can, it wasn't sticking well either. Aluminum flashing is a great idea too but the copper tape works wonderfully.

My contribution is a diagram for this wiring so future DIYer's can find this info more readily available.
                  Last edited by cheapthrill; 06-16-08, 10:18 AM.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Gastric View Post
                    I haven't built a single cymbal yet. But from what I understand in your example the choke is essentially another trigger but provided via a switch instead of piezo. You grab the choke, it triggers. But you assign it the appropriate MIDI note for the choke.

Any reason for a 1 zone crash you couldn't have a piezo on the bell and use THAT for a choke? Crash on the edge, whack the bell to choke it? I realize that's not how real acoustics would be handled by the drummer. But I'm just talking out loud here.
                    BTW I just tested that theory, which is what I should've done before I typed it. Set the bell on my ride to send a ride choke to Addictive Drums via MIDI NOTE 63 and of course it worked fine. Hit the bow, get the ride sound, click the bell and it chokes it.

Comment

I recommend you to use aluminum paper (that found on the *******). It is far more conductive. You can stick it to a piece of plastic (tape of a folder) to make it thicker. Besides, you cannot sold to it, so you have to stick the lead

Comment

Originally posted by cheapthrill View Post
                        It works! I found a new TRS plug and I ditched the pop can aluminum and used some copper tape that a had leftover from shielding a guitar instead. Based on Gastric's comment about the coating on pop cans, I'll bet that was the problem. I noticed while trying to solder to the can, it wasn't sticking well either. Aluminum flashing is a great idea too but the copper tape works wonderfully.

My contribution is a diagram for this wiring so future DIYer's can find this info more readily available.
                        You can also use aluminum duct tape. Much cheaper than copper. Also keep in mind that you can use this switch as a second zone or a choke/second zone. Just put the switch on top of your cymbal.

BTW cheapthrill, thanks for sharing the diagram. I guess that was the one thing I over looked on my website.
                        For more eDrum info, be sure to visit my web sites at:
                        HellfireDrums.com & DMdrummer.com
                        My current set-up: Alesis DM10 and Trigger I/O with modified/DIY pads

Comment

Working...
                        X