Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DIY Drum Riser... really easy to make!

Hey guys, I knocked this up this afternoon... literally... it took about 3 hrs to make it from go to whoa!
    All that is left to do is paint it black (I didn't have any black paint so I have to get some), round off the edges and add some corner protectors, and I will probably throw some utility carpet on the 2 piece platform, that stuff they cover subwoofer boxes with will do, and its cheap. Either black or a dark grey.

All up so far has only cost $168 AU to make and few hours of my time. Paint will be another $30 for 1Lt and the carpet... well maybe $50-60 max.

Rise height is 300mm, or approx 12" for those stuck in the dark ages of measurement. The platform is slightly wider than deeper, but is around 6ft x 6ft (1800 x 1800)

I did some culling and condensing of stands... but that will make less gear to carry and easy setup.

Gets me up above the pesky singers and guitarists a bit!

Rob
    Building GAS as we speak!! - TD11KV. Extra Yamaha cymbals. MDS-25 rack.

Nice and clean. Any build pics and design details?
    8 Piece Smokey Chrome/Acrylic w/DIY Pans http://quartzpercussions.com/home_en.html 2BoxDrumIt5x2, DIY Acrylic Spl/Ch, Gen16 Hats/Rides/Ch/Spl, Assorted Gen16 Conversion Cymbals http://www.stealthdrums.com/,DW Remote,SleishmanTwin/QuadSteele Conversion, http://www.drumagination.com/drum-pe...com/mk_pro.php Gibraltar & DrumFrame rack systems
    www.airbrushartists.org/dreamscapeairbrushrealm

Comment

I didn't think to, but I can take some pics of the end result and how I made it.

As for a design... well I'll have to draw it out because nearly everything I make I do it from plans in my head! Seriously... there are no drawing laying around of stuff I build.. I just do it.
      Rob

Comment

Well, easy for SOME of us to make
        Can't wait to see both the kit and riser on stage!
        Ludwig Element A2E, TD-10

Comment

BTW- who did your bass drum head?
          Ludwig Element A2E, TD-10

Comment

Bill of materials:

1800x300x20mm Clear pine panels x 7 (Frame and inner support)
            2400x1200x18 Non Structural Plywood panels. I had these cut to the right size at the timber yard on their panel saw... cost free! Cut size of mine was 2 x 1750 x 925 (added gives a total size of 1750 x 1850mm)
            Radiused edging (not necessary but if you don't want sharp edges, use this), get enough for outer edge of platform (about 8m total will cover the job)
            10mm square pine, a few metres is heaps.
            Bedding frame joiners (These are the EXACT ones I used)
            15mm CSK Timber screws (pack of 50 is heaps)
            20mm pin nails (for the edging)
            Woodworking PVA glue
            Paint and or carpet to finish

The top is in 2 sections for transporting easily. The framework goes together in a few minutes via the interlocking fingers. This is what they look like:

Once you determine how large you want the top area, make the framework an inch or 2 (25-50mm) smaller so that it sits in underneath the top. For ease the frame is made from pre cut lengths of pine, they are all exactly the same so there will be no lop-sidedness come completion if you were to cut it yourself. Plus they are nice and straight.

One you have the frame made (all of 1/2 hr to complete), then use the remaining 3 x pine pieces to make the inner support.
            You will make the inner frame using 2 x cross lap joints.
            This type of joint:

Then once you have the frame done, lay the tops on the frame, get the spacing so it sits centrally on the frame.

The frame should look something like this:

I then used some of the 10mm square in sections about 300mm long to act as a stopper. It mounts underneath the tops section. (I'll take pics of this for reference)

Then, using the edging, edge the upper platform.

Round off any sharp edges, especially as the riser is around shin height... and that would rip your leg open should you kick it accidentally!
            Here you can also see the lip on the top, stops anything sliding off under vibration.

Then, sand it all smooth ready for paint. And add Carpet, rubber, or leave it plain to place your exising drum mat onto.

Thats pretty much it!
            Last edited by rasoo; 06-18-12, 06:35 AM.
            Rob

Comment

Originally posted by toddmc View Post
              BTW- who did your bass drum head?
              We had a heap of new band gear done up, like lots of stickers and some banners for the stage. When the stickers were made, we got them to make a HUGE one in a pre-determined print (i.e... circular Kick drum) in the exact size of a 22" head.
              Then when we got it, all I had to do was cut it out and fit it up. Did that myself the other night.
              Rob

Comment

Now that's my kind of DIY job. I like it!

I can't see clearly from the last pic if you did, but I would add a backing raised strip of wood to the backside, just in case your throne start sliding backward a bit during and intense BD song!

Would give you a stopping rail back there.

My throne usually doesn't move much while playing, but it just would be a nice safety net... just in case!
                A2E DIY Dixon kit. FSR HiHats. DTX700 + eDrum Modules. Yamaha + XM Cymbals. VSTs: AD, SD, DrumMic'a
                Kit Pix

Website builder in my spare time, here's my latest work:
                www.hualienoutdoors.org
                cotfcanada.org
                aacycleproducts.com/

Comment

Originally posted by perceval View Post

I can't see clearly from the last pic if you did, but I would add a backing raised strip of wood to the backside, just in case your throne start sliding backward a bit during and intense BD song!

My throne usually doesn't move much while playing, but it just would be a nice safety net... just in case!
                  I was thinking the same thing but it looks like there is still have a fair bit of room to move the kit forward. I had my seat slide off a flat bed trailer once doing an outdoor gig, that gets your attention really quick. Good job on the riser, it gives those awful front men somewhere to put their feet other than on your bass drum. And what an awesome looking kit too
                  A/E 6pc PDP LX Maple Cherry/Black Fade - Triggering Addictive Drums & Superior Drummer
                  A Kit 6pc Tama Superstar Hyperdrive Hairline Metallic Black - Zildjian A Custom cymbals

Comment

Originally posted by perceval View Post

Yes, the entire stage has a raised edge that goes all the way around. There is also room for the entire kit to go forward about 4" (100mm) so there is no issue with falling off!! Unless I'm drunk at the time that is.
                    Rob

Comment

Originally posted by rasoo View Post
                      Yes, the entire stage has a raised edge that goes all the way around. There is also room for the entire kit to go forward about 4" (100mm) so there is no issue with falling off!! Unless I'm drunk at the time that is.
                      Looking great Rob!
                      Somehow I don't think you will be falling off as I know you don't drink (much) if at all before gigs You're a professional
                      I have had my times of getting drunk and playing but have realized I never play as tight plus I end up giving all my money back to the venue!
                      Lately I have been being responsible having one or two beers before the show then no more. Pack up and drive home
                      Only problem is I find I have 'less' tolerance for the drunken hecklers....at least the guitarists get most of that! hehe
                      A-KIT: Pearl Masters Maple Custom
                      E-KIT: Pintech Pads 10/10/12", 14" Acoustech Snare, KD-120 Kick, VH-11 Hi-Hat, Pearl Eliminator Doubles
                      MODULE: Roland TD-12

Comment

Originally posted by froidy1981 View Post
                        Looking great Rob!
                        Somehow I don't think you will be falling off as I know you don't drink (much) if at all before gigs You're a professional
                        I have had my times of getting drunk and playing but have realized I never play as tight plus I end up giving all my money back to the venue!
                        Lately I have been being responsible having one or two beers before the show then no more. Pack up and drive home
                        Only problem is I find I have 'less' tolerance for the drunken hecklers....at least the guitarists get most of that! hehe
                        That's right... I have self control and respect myself and others by NOT getting drunk. I may have a beer or 2 here and there but that is it. I never drink during gigs, except for water or a Coke.
                        Rob

Comment

Cool, Rob! Thanks for the layout graphics and parts list. It's a very cool design. I bet it's nice and compact when broke down too. Don't forget to post some picks once you get it all "cornered" and "carpeted".
                          8 Piece Smokey Chrome/Acrylic w/DIY Pans http://quartzpercussions.com/home_en.html 2BoxDrumIt5x2, DIY Acrylic Spl/Ch, Gen16 Hats/Rides/Ch/Spl, Assorted Gen16 Conversion Cymbals http://www.stealthdrums.com/,DW Remote,SleishmanTwin/QuadSteele Conversion, http://www.drumagination.com/drum-pe...com/mk_pro.php Gibraltar & DrumFrame rack systems
                          www.airbrushartists.org/dreamscapeairbrushrealm

Comment

looks great mate, well done!
                            TD9 - V2 UPGRADE - MASTERS 50 VEXPACK - TMC6 - CHROME DIXON AND GIBRALTAR RACK - 12" CARRERA SHELL CUSTOM SNARE - 2 10" CUSTOM TOMS - 2 12" CUSTOM FLOOR TOMS - TRIGGERA KRIGG BASS PEDAL - CY12RC RIDE - 2 CY12RC CRASHES - TRIGGERA D11 11" SPLASH - 2 KIT TOYS SPLASHES - PCY130 - TRIGGERA D14 14" CHINA - ATH-M30 HEADPHONES - eCOWBELL -YAMAHA MG102C MIXER

Comment

Cheers!

Guys I have edited the "build" post to include some extra pics and tad more info.
                              Rob

Comment

Working...
                              X