X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tama acoustic tuning test

Because of the overwhelming interest for my recent Gretsch sound check - - I decided to post another one: http://snd.sc/HaFyq7.

It's the Tama Superstar Hyperdrive Kit with EC2s batters on the 8-10-12-14-16 toms.

I know I'm still crap at tuning drums but I notice some improvement. I think the final tuning went off of the notes in the filename but it sounds OK. A bit high pitched but pretty musical.

So, any thoughts?
    E kit: TD-9KX with Diamond Electronic Drums 13" snare, VH-11 and v-cowbell
    A kit 2009: Tama Superstar Custom Rock Satin Cherry Burst and Masterwork Custom cymbals
    A kit 2010: Gretsch Catalina Ash Cherry Red and Masterwork Iris cymbals
    Some keyboards and a couple of guitars...and not enough time to play them...
    pictures...videos...collaboration videos

Originally posted by eric_B View Post
    Because of the overwhelming interest for my recent Gretsch sound check - - I decided to post another one: http://snd.sc/HaFyq7.

It's the Tama Superstar Hyperdrive Kit with EC2s batters on the 8-10-12-14-16 toms.

I know I'm still crap at tuning drums but I notice some improvement. I think the final tuning went off of the notes in the filename but it sounds OK. A bit high pitched but pretty musical.

So, any thoughts?
    Hi Eric, I'm not one for tuning drums to defined pitch (other than Timps or Rotos) - just don't like it when the band changes key and you have to avoid playing certain drums.

Were they close mic'd with dynamics? They sound gated or dampened so the sustain / resonance is pretty minimal.

Comment

I'm with Herc. Unless all your songs are in the same key...!
      I've often read there's a chance the toms will get lost amongst the other instruments if you're playing notes/chords that cover the tuned drum notes.
      Personally, I like tuning the tom to its most 'natural' note, whatever that is - y'know, the sound where it just 'sings'.
      As long as the steps between the toms are pleasant, that's what I've found I prefer.
      Triggers: Roland TD-30; PD-125s, PD-105s; KD-120, VH-11, CY-15R, CY-14Cs, CY-12C, BT-1, Hart Dynamics Hammer
      Hardware: Gibraltar 9600 Series (SN/HH/Pedal), Short Booms, Tube Clamps, Grabbers, Road Series Chrome Clamps on 2 x MDS-9 Rack Tube sets
      Other: Roland SPD-S, Korg WaveDrum, Superior Drummer (all SDXs and 3 EZXs), Roland DP-2 Pedals

Comment

My problem with tuning has been that I seem to get tone deaf after tuning and tapping a drum for several minutes - and it usually takes me several hours to make my kit sound any decent. I decided to give tuning to notes a try and it gives me a reference, a good starting point to work from. And knowing the final notes will make retuning easier.

Hi Herc. Yes, the kit was close mic'd with 2 overheads, no processing afterward. The EC2s aren't the most resonant heads of course and the reso was tuned higher than the batter. No dampening on the rack toms, 1 piece of moongel on each floortom.
        What you hear is the mix I use for practicing/playing at my home studio. Of course turning up the level of the overheads and down that of the close mics will make it sound more 'live'.

Still wondering what you think about the tuning though .
        E kit: TD-9KX with Diamond Electronic Drums 13" snare, VH-11 and v-cowbell
        A kit 2009: Tama Superstar Custom Rock Satin Cherry Burst and Masterwork Custom cymbals
        A kit 2010: Gretsch Catalina Ash Cherry Red and Masterwork Iris cymbals
        Some keyboards and a couple of guitars...and not enough time to play them...
        pictures...videos...collaboration videos

Comment

Working...
        X